Building my first transmission, need some help.

Got the 48RE torn down, cleaned the case and painted. Also got the 4x4 tail shaft housing in. Now I just need to save a little more and get the rebuild kit coming. I decided to lower the HP of the truck, just going to keep it around 600 on fuel and spray the **** out of it for racing. Then build a 1/2 ton 12v to play with. I cant have this truck down all the time.

Big thanks to Lavon at Firepunk Diesel for all his help. :bow:

Soooo, this 47RE I am going to use for the half ton, I want to run a full manual VB. Its a stock trans and I put billet front and rear servos, accumulator, strut, anchor, and 4.2 apply lever in it because I had them laying around. I also ordered the Transgo TFOD-3 kit and a Hurst Quarter stick shifter.

Right now I just want to get the truck built and running, later I will rebuild the trans and throw in a billet input and triple disk converter. Id like the truck to be 600 on fuel and a large-ish single.

Any unforseen problems running those servos and apply lever on a stock trans? Maybe 350-400hp at first.

Also, for the guys that have run the same type of setup, how did you wire the OD and lockup? I planned on using the shifter switch for lockup and another toggle for OD.

Last edited:
I found this as well. but i am currently using a 5:1 lever from the suncoast kit i got last year.. I hear this is a big issue with 2/3 bind.
About to try a 4.2:1 lever and if that doesnt work, then i will try a different servo.

Alright gents, got the 4.2 lever in today. 3 hours of fun!
The bind is all but gone, you can feel it while driving slow, but it didn't buck the car near as much as it used to, pedal to the floor, it feels like a perfectly timed shift.
I an going to look into servos and see which one i think will get it where i want it to be.
Will let you guys know as well..

Good info guys. I had TRE do the trans in my 01 but having engagement issues or something... Anywho, I'm planning to start buying parts for the stocker that came out of it to build it up to have as a back-up... so this is all good info for me as well! Keep it coming, I'm soaking it up too! :Cheer:

Last edited:
Alright gents, got the 4.2 lever in today. 3 hours of fun!
The bind is all but gone, you can feel it while driving slow, but it didn't buck the car near as much as it used to, pedal to the floor, it feels like a perfectly timed shift.
I an going to look into servos and see which one i think will get it where i want it to be.
Will let you guys know as well..

Are you using the sonnax servo still?

I'm running a 3.8 lever and stock servo for now, 2-3 seems a little slow/soft at part throttle unlocked, but under hard throttle TC locked it shifts nice. Might just be how the vb is setup though.

Has anyone used the tcs servo?TCS Products

Are you using the sonnax servo still?

I'm running a 3.8 lever and stock servo for now, 2-3 seems a little slow/soft at part throttle unlocked, but under hard throttle TC locked it shifts nice. Might just be how the vb is setup though.

Has anyone used the tcs servo?TCS Products

Still running the sonnax servo.
About to return some parts to PATC and get a TCS servo. I think if I had gone to a 3.8 lever with the sonnax it would be perfect..
I would rather not pull the trans again.

Got the case stripped and painted...

na2yme6a.jpg

not sure if you wanted to go this far with it .but I went to like lowes and got a marble threshold and used some wet and dry sanding paper to flat sand the case . took all the machining marks out of the case . I also have a piece granite 2ft by 3ft where I sand the valvebodys on, samething to get the machining marks out for a better seal .

Back