Bumper Height Illinois Lift Law?

jlansaw

Has anyone with a lifted Super Duty ever manipulated their existing bumpers or used aftermarket or custom made bumpers to get the law off there back? I'm looking for ideas.

I have an '03 F250 Crewcab long bed with a ProComp 8.5" lift with 37" Toyo M/T's. According to Illinois law and one particular state trooper my bumpers are to high. 3" too high in the front and an inch too high in the back. Just looking for a clever way, that looks right, to get by.

Ahhhh Illinois the land of revenue!!! I hate this state! Aftermarket or custom made bumpers would probably look the best. You could make drop brackets to lower them down but that would look pretty hillbilly. I got hit for my tints, stacks & leveling kit in the front. State troopers probably all got raises thanks to me!

That's what I figured. Something like FabFour front bumpers? Wasn't sure how to tell if these would actually get me a lower bumper height or not. Can't tell how much lower if any it would be?

Ya fab fours, buckstop etc. There's a bunch of aftermarket bumper places now. I'm sure if you called they'd be more than happy to give you dimensions or even check their websites.

I've never heard of them measuring frame height and I've owned a ton of lifted trucks but it wouldn't suprise me one bit. Illinois basically wants your vehicle left bone stock so you can blend in with the rest of the sheep! But in the mean time they have no problem taking your money believe me!

Frame height is supposed to 22" mine is 31" I don't stand a chance!

I will see if I can find it but I thought you could not alter frame height more than 3 inches either way

pretty sure you can't raise or lower the body above or below the frame more than 3"

The check frame height in TN during the cruise ins, your fine the rest of the time though.

I would just get a pipe made that follows the curve of your bumper and bolt it underneath so it acts like another "mini" bumper. Sure there is a way to make it look good too. Or maybe get airbags and lower them down slowly when they want to check? ;)

I didn't know if a secondary bumper under the stock bumper would matter, I figured they would measure from stock bumper anyway. I would gladly do that but I didn't want to waste my time if it wouldn't pass.

Aftermarket bumpers front and rear might be your best bet, but if this state cop has it out for you, he will just keep giving you a hard time. The frame height will be the next thing, and there is no way to get around that.

I went through all this with my last truck, which is why I ended up selling it. Both state and local cops couldnt pass up a chance to pull me over. Alot of the local cops knew the bumper height of my truck before they even pulled me over (they measured the truck when they would see it in a parking lot) and would write the ticket before they even got out of their cars upon pulling me over.

Its a frustrating road to go down, because if this cop has it out for you, there is only one solution to your problem, and thats to lower the truck back down.

I'll sell it and go back to building motorcycles before I drop it back down.

MOVE!

I've NEVER in 20 years of driving lifted 4x4s had ANY problems with height laws, in the Chicagoland area.

NOW, tint, YES.
Speeding, YES.
I had one officer try to tell me my Silverline 4" exhaust was illegal because of the size. I politely asked him to show a law in which a DIESEL had a certain size of exhaust. He then says to me "its a diesel" (mind you I have a 12 valve, sounds NOTHING like a gasser), and I said "yes". He then says "oh, your right". He gave me a warning about my tint, and off I went.

Frame height is supposed to 22" mine is 31" I don't stand a chance!

Unless the law changed....it should be 28" or 29" to the lowest part of the frame (ends up being under the cab). Frame and Bumper heights are based on GVWR.

MOVE!

I've NEVER in 20 years of driving lifted 4x4s had ANY problems with height laws, in the Chicagoland area.

NOW, tint, YES.
Speeding, YES.
I had one officer try to tell me my Silverline 4" exhaust was illegal because of the size. I politely asked him to show a law in which a DIESEL had a certain size of exhaust. He then says to me "its a diesel" (mind you I have a 12 valve, sounds NOTHING like a gasser), and I said "yes". He then says "oh, your right". He gave me a warning about my tint, and off I went.

I used to have problems around my area(back in the day)with a certain cop that had a hard on for lifted trucks.Hell one time I was pulled over by two Kendall county cops and a state trooper you would of thought I was a mass murderer.

Alot of times they measure both bumpers and frame

This is what they had a problem with,it was a tad high.
Sorry for the crappy pic it was from the early 90's

Attachments

• 100_4173 small.JPG
    100_4173 small.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 24
I used to have problems around my area(back in the day)with a certain cop that had a hard on for lifted trucks.Hell one time I was pulled over by two Kendall county cops and a state trooper you would of thought I was a mass murderer.

Alot of times they measure both bumpers and frame

This is what they had a problem with,it was a tad high.
Sorry for the crappy pic it was from the early 90's

You, uh.............rockin a mullet?

LOL

Ours is 31" from the bottom of the bumper, but if have modified bumpers they measure from the frame. I got my XJ impounded by the state troopers because it was like 36 " to the bottom of the bumpers & and had my end links disconnected because I had just came from off road.
They acted like I was way a mass murderer also.

I wouldnt waist your time with bumpers cause there gona move right to the frame

Back