Cold starting smoke...

JasonCzerak

This smoke has been a come and go issues for a while.. It's white/blue ish. Smells like heavy fuel. lasts less then 10 seconds, a little rough idle. Then gone, runs perfect

Some days more, some days less, some days none at all. Only occurs if the truck is shut down for 10 hours or more.. out side temp doesn't matter.

I'm wondering if the angle of the truck matters? I'm not in a terrible incline, normal driveway, but if I spend a 10 or 11 hour day at work, it's fine. start perfect

Now the color and odor of the smoke. I believe that's to much fuel, but I've always thought he blue was some motor oil burning.

Ideas to look for or try out to try to eliminate some other possibilities?

I'll try to get some video of it starting soon.

Curious to see where this goes. Mine does the same thing. Had the turbo rebuilt br HTT and replaced all 6 injectors and still smokes. I think the machine shop f'd up the vavle seals on my head

Last edited:
my VP truck did just that when my HG was on its way out did that every morning for about a month before I started pressurizing the cooling system.

Could also be the bad valve seals leaking some oil into the cylinder...

Lavon

I don't think it's the HG.

Tho, everything is stock in the head with exception to the springs, studs and injectors.

Ive gotten as far as taking the exhaust manifold off mine to figure out what cylinders its smoking from. It's smoking out 5 and 6 and its losing oil slowly, not coolant. My idle is completely normal even when the smoke is bad. Today no smoke yesterday was horrible. Wish I had more time to figure this thing out because it's embarrasing to me

Bad rings (which is common on CR's) will lead to the issues posted. Its evident if you only have smoke out of a few cylinders with the exhaust manifold off. Check the blow-by coming from the oil fill cap once.

Bad rings (which is common on CR's) will lead to the issues posted. Its evident if you only have smoke out of a few cylinders with the exhaust manifold off. Check the blow-by coming from the oil fill cap once.

Me? Hope not

Zero blowby for me. Uses 1/2 quarts if that in 5000 miles

Blowby is no more than any other CR that I've checked out the fill cap. Mine uses 2-3 quarts in 5000 miles.

Does it look like this? THis is mine how it was early this spring and is worse now even though its hot out still.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sjNg99g28"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-sjNg99g28[/ame]

my 2006 work truck does the same thing, and its all stock except for exhaust and drop in air filter(39000miles). i cant figure it out . it only does it every now and then. starts fine and runs good. just puffs some white blue ish smoke on cold starts.

you should here mine when its a little cool out sounds like a old big block with a monster cam lol and welcome to the performance, you cant mod it and expet it to run like a stock truck .

Mine sounds like that when its 10 degrees out and it smokes just like that no matter the temp on a cold start.

Mine does this on some morning. I think it has more to do with the angle light and truck than anything else.

Mine doesnt smoke near as bad at the one in the video. Usually don't even notice it until I put the truck in gear and drive it a few blocks then it clears up but I can still smell it. Has no fuel smell to it at all and its only white. Starts easy and never idles rough. Never smoked white until I had the head fixed

if the truck sits for 2 weeks, does it do it longer/more smoke? vrs say 1 or 2 days. If this was the case i might think a valve seal

you should here mine when its a little cool out sounds like a old big block with a monster cam lol and welcome to the performance, you cant mod it and expet it to run like a stock truck .

I'd be with you 100% on that, had it smoked consistently on every cold start.

Back