Cold starting smoke...

iOS 4.1 FTW. upload from the phone :) On another note, this is my first youtube video I've uploaded. :)

This was a very good, almost normal-stock is start.. yesterday, 10 times worse. you an almost hear it stumble for a moment.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G611KgKKc_w"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G611KgKKc_w[/ame]

Mine does the same thing every morning. I chalked it up to lowering the compression. It seems worse during the winter.

My long block is stock, oem, 153,000 miles old.. no compression changes here, by me..

Maybe an injector issue? My truck lived a hard life for a few years and I am wondering if the injectors are tired now. My engine just turned 50,000 miles old. :hehe:

Maybe an injector issue? My truck lived a hard life for a few years and I am wondering if the injectors are tired now. My engine just turned 50,000 miles old. :hehe:

That's my (and a few others) thinking. But they were all tested, balanced, one replaced and made bigger 9 months ago with new fancy tips and in that past 9 months, my truck hasn't been doing anything of significance with a stage 2 pump and 200hp injectors.

Maybe a lack of volume is harder on things then one might figure? I've honestly been going to slow with it more then I'd like ;-)

Argh... I really do not wanna take the injectors out again. maybe mid winter I'll park it at dave's and pull them and send them off some place.

My does the same thing as yours Jason, but I always figured lowered compression as well as my pistons have been cut. But I'm starting to think it's just a normal thing for CR's to do. Sometimes mines realy blueish like that and sometimes its more of a darker tint. It gets alot worse in the winter months, honestly keep an ey on your blow by, and check you oil for fuel in it occasionaly but I think your fine.

Jason if You believe its related to pump ,When construction and race season ends You are welcome to remove the pump here (I will hold the Barring Tool... Heeee...) and I will tear it down before your eyes and rebuilt it. Your smoke is more likely related to Injectors.

Well my old 7.3 did it as well as my 6.0 and also my 12v all did it if the temps were below 55 or so. I always just thought that's what diesel looks like burning out of a cold. Engine.

Jason if You believe its related to pump ,When construction and race season ends You are welcome to remove the pump here (I will hold the Barring Tool... Heeee...) and I will tear it down before your eyes and rebuilt it. Your smoke is more likely related to Injectors.

The stage two is most likely fine Todd.

I have yet to hear from volker on my questions :(

It's been doing this for a long time. Even before the rebuilt injectors from volker. With Wickeds 180 tips too. Blowby tube is dry. My bypass drains into the filler cap, I can have oil drain from the cap with out getting it in my face, no compression up there. I suppose I shouldn't
Worry too much.

Barring tool? With a manual? Not required. :)

The thing is tho. It's not cold yet :)

I wonder what it'll do if you let the grid heater cycle before startup?

O.. I forgot Put in gear and engage Brake.......You generally get haze,Your's is somewhat excessive.

Were valve seals mentioned??

24v's are pretty hard on them...from what I've seen. Shouldn't really hurt anything, but might make for a bluish smoke until things warm up and seal???

Jut pulling that one out of my....hat:D
Chris

Were valve seals mentioned??

24v's are pretty hard on them...from what I've seen. Shouldn't really hurt anything, but might make for a bluish smoke until things warm up and seal???

Jut pulling that one out of my....hat:D
Chris

Yes, they were mentioned, and I think that would be a good place to check. Easy enough anyway.

Well hell, I missed it....long, bad day for me...actually, long, bad MONTH for me!

Chris

Yea i'm leaning towards valve seals on mine. How can I tell for sure when they are on the head thats still installed? Of course it's blowing out 5 and 6 go figure. Mine is all stock internally as well.

Jason,

Mines but doing this badly ever since I got my injectors back and installed them...But for now I'm chalking it up to me doing the job so quickly and Not torquing everything correctly...

I just through the stix in and am still using my original crossover tubes (many installs)...I did the whole tighten the injectors hold down and then loosen them up and then tighten the crossover tube collars..Then tighten the injectors again. I did not torque them to spec...Just put some Stank on it to my liking!! lol

I'm chalking mine up to a bad seal on the crossover tube and injector body... I figure I'm bleeding off just a bit and it's leaking into the cyclinder...When I start up, it having to burn that raw fuel...Funny thing is, it fires right up ..... No hard / long starts...

Mine even stumbles and sputters for the first mile or so....

I'm just SO tired of working on this pos that I've not made time to order new cross tube and go back to re -install with proper tq specs.......Once the engine starts to clear up after a mile or two, it runs great and strong..no haze at idle...

I also need to check my lash while I'm in there...

The stage two is most likely fine Todd.

I have yet to hear from volker on my questions :(

It's been doing this for a long time. Even before the rebuilt injectors from volker. With Wickeds 180 tips too. Blowby tube is dry. My bypass drains into the filler cap, I can have oil drain from the cap with out getting it in my face, no compression up there. I suppose I shouldn't
Worry too much.

Barring tool? With a manual? Not required. :)

The thing is tho. It's not cold yet :)

Volker is on a road trip,in Canada now.Might want to give Gregg at Exergy a call,they built your injectors anyways.

Back