converting 99 24 valve to 12 valve problem

I was told by my local tranny builder, a knowledgable CompD member that has helped me, and Dave Goerend, that it needs to see engine RPM's. You also need crank sensor signal for charging, A/C, and I think cruise, not to mention the tach.

There is also something to do with the charging and the APPS. I've always (until recently adjusting the governor springs properly) had to give it a little pedal to start. Out of habit I have continued to do this. The alternator will not charge until it has idled for a few minutes or until the tranny would shift into second after initially starting the engine. Since it will now start without giving it any pedal, I have discovered that if I don't touch the pedal when starting it, it will start charging immediately, as it should. The only thing I can think of that causes this is the movement of the APPS.

Last edited:
Just wondering. I think I'm going to get a machinist(so it's precise) to mount the tone ring from off the crank to the balancer.

I thought about trying that. The issue I had with it is your adding weight to the outside of the balancer that is riding on rubber. I was just concerned that it might cause premature seperation of the balancer. It would prabably be just as easy for the machinist to make you a tone wheel and spacer like my Destroked parts.

I thought about trying that. The issue I had with it is your adding weight to the outside of the balancer that is riding on rubber. I was just concerned that it might cause premature seperation of the balancer. It would prabably be just as easy for the machinist to make you a tone wheel and spacer like my Destroked parts.

Yeah, I'll see. I don't really like the spacer situtation and the 250+ price tag they have on those.

I understand. Good luck.

One thing I have failed to mention, if you're going to run the 24V APPS you'll need 24V cables. Throttle, TV, and cruise. If you're going to run the 12V TPS, obviously you'll need those for the 12V. Just one of those things that's easily overlooked until you have everything ready to go and you try to hook them up. Don't ask me how I know........

Yea everthing, wish I would have thought to ask for credit on the sensor.
I'll ask after I receive it.

We ended up putting it very close, seems like it was .020-.025. We started at .050.

Another thing. That bracket for the sensor is designed to bolt in place where the stock 12V sensor goes. We put mine where it is because the 24V crank sensor is so long it wouldn't fit. We thought about threading the hole in the bracket and letting it cut threads in the sensor so we could use it in that position but I was afraid it would mess it up. Also thought about drilling the sensor hole out big enough to just silicone it in place in the bracket, but decided against that, also.

I received the 3 sensor adapters in the mail today.
The thread sizes are puzzling.

Scott are you saying you used the 12v sensor and not the 24v sensor on the tone ring?

We ended up putting it very close, seems like it was .020-.025. We started at .050.

Another thing. That bracket for the sensor is designed to bolt in place where the stock 12V sensor goes. We put mine where it is because the 24V crank sensor is so long it wouldn't fit. We thought about threading the hole in the bracket and letting it cut threads in the sensor so we could use it in that position but I was afraid it would mess it up. Also thought about drilling the sensor hole out big enough to just silicone it in place in the bracket, but decided against that, also.

Thanks!

See how far the sensor sticks through the bracket? It will not fit in the factory position that way. You'll either need to move it like I did or figure out a different way to put the sensor in the bracket so it doesn't stick through so far.

Crank-Sensor-e1318615358747.jpg

ok thanks.

by the way I matched up the adapters at a plumbers store today.

3 I bought on top and 3 they matched on bottom.

Don't know which one is for which sensor yet.

Attachments

• 24vto12vfittings.jpg
    24vto12vfittings.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 0
standard pipe threads.
total was 7 bucks

Attachments

• 24vto12vfittings.jpg
    24vto12vfittings.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back