converting 99 24 valve to 12 valve problem

1) Here ya go:

’97 12V
- Violet/White – Pin A17 on PCM (5V Supply)
- Black/Light Blue – Sensor Ground
- Gray/Black – Pin A8 on PCM (Engine Speed Sensor Signal)

’99 24V
- Violet/White – Pin 3 on ECM (5V Supply)
- Black/Dark Blue – Pin 4 on ECM (Sensor Ground)
- Gray – Pin 17 on ECM (Crankshaft Position Sensor Signal)

2) Yes, those are the oil pressure sensors. I relocated mine to the top of the oil filter head where the 1/8" pipe plug is due to easier accessability.

3) The one with the probe.

4) My ECM is currently hanging from a stout piece of wire on one of the master cylinder bolts just to keep it off the starter. I plan to fab a bracket to hang basically in the same place from both master cylinder bolts and bolt the ECM to the bracket.

5) kleann's got it on the return line.

He's also correct on the MAP sensor. Not necessary in our application except to keep from throwing a code.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thanks Big PaPa and Kleann.
I may get this done this week!

by the way I used soda pdf trail version to downsize the pdf of the tonering.
I'll probably buy the soda after trail, it's great.

Last edited:
the oil sensor reads if the oil is low correct?
How can it determine low oil if it is sitting on top of the oil filter in a vert position?

Oil pressure. Mines actually pretty accurate compared to a mechanical gauge.

Good to know, I'm rerouting my plug.
I looked on the title and the truck is actually a 97 and the engine is a 96.
My air sensor plugs were the same for the 99 and the 97 so I just plugged in there. Now I'm just using two plugs at the price of 50 bucks for adapters, he haw.

Check out the photos of the oil sensor plug on the harness and see if I have this correct please.
I didn't realize there was an identical plug so close to the ecm.
I clipped the plug wire closest to the ecm.
but not to much further away is a junction and another plug. Then I found another identical plug very near the 24v injector pump harness. So that is three plugs total that are the same type as the oil sensor plug.

Attachments

• oilharness.jpg
    oilharness.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
  • oilharness2.jpg
    oilharness2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0
Oil pressure connector will have Orange, Blk/Lt Blue, and Gry/Blk wires.

well the light blue looks more like a dingy white.
It is the first plug from the ecu and the oil sensor is literally right next to the ecu on the 24v so I'm going to go with this is it.
The 3rd adapter I found was the same was the timing sensor that hides behind the injector pump and it had an orange as well. I soldered into that one before I realized there were two more.

Attachments

• oilharness2.jpg
    oilharness2.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's a black wire with a light blue stripe. The only other sensors with an orange wire is the cam sensor and MAP sensor. Here's all the sensor connectors with an orange wire.

sensorwiring.jpg

From what you're saying you're looking at the cam sensor connector with the Tan wire with a Yellow stripe. The distinguishing wire for the oil pressure sensor is the Gray wire with a Black stripe.

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time with these diagrams.
I'll double check tomorrow that I have the correct wire.

I was looking at the tone ring and the sensor today.
The sensor is as big around as a thumb so I tend to thing it has a wide range of space to read from instead of just a small slim space in the middle of the sensor.
The ring is really close to the harmonic balance and I was wondering how close the tolerance is for the sensor reading off of the tone ring?
Is it possible it can pick up the notches in the harmonic balance so as to get interference if it is dead center on the har. balance or would it even matter at all if it reads from both the ring and the har. balance?

Hey bigpapa do you think using a cam gear with a tone ring and cam sensor plugged into the crank sensor wiring connection would work?

slrrls,

The 24V crank sensor won't read both. I have my sensor centered on the tone wheel.

kleann,

Your talking about a different number of pulses. I think the cam sensor makes 1 or 2 pulses per rpm where the crank is making 35. Is there a tone ring on the cam? How many teeth?

What's this "Location: Africa" stuff? Where you at?

The tone ring on the cam has like 80 holes punched out. Maybe not that many but has several lol

Hey bigpapa do you think using a cam gear with a tone ring and cam sensor plugged into the crank sensor wiring connection would work?

I think You could fab up a mount and use it that way. I would just use the 24v cam and get the adapter that goes on the back of the gear case like I did.

slrrls,

The 24V crank sensor won't read both. I have my sensor centered on the tone wheel.

kleann,

Your talking about a different number of pulses. I think the cam sensor makes 1 or 2 pulses per rpm where the crank is making 35. Is there a tone ring on the cam? How many teeth?

What's this "Location: Africa" stuff? Where you at?

Africa is a joke. I am talking about the tone ring on the 2001 and 2002 trucks, since they dont use a crank sensor.

kleann,

I'm not sure on your situation. I just don't have any experience with it. I would think that if the ECM is looking for signal from the cam sensor and not a crank sensor, you would have to run the cam sensor and the proper cam/gear. You could run the 24V cam if you don't use the mechanical 12V lift pump. I don't know about putting a 24V gear on a 12V cam.

Big Papa,
Is that a bracket just behind the crank sensor in your tone ring photo?
So it is a bracket that bolts to another part of the motor then drops down behind the sensor and the bottom of the sensor bolts to it?

Yes. We could only use one bolt in the aluminum bracket because of where we had to mount it. Needed the other bracket to keep it stationary. It's just a steel strap we bent and painted. It's on another of the timing cover bolts IIRC.

If I have these plugs right then looking at the pictures each has a different P.E.D number.
Crank sensor plug = pur/wh gray blk and the plug says 12* P.E.D.
Oil sensor plug = orange blk/LT BlU the plug says 10* P.E.D.
Cam sensor plug = orang blk/LT BLU Tan/Yel plug says 2* P.E.D.

Can you double check for me? I have the oil and cam sensor plugs lenghtened already but going to wait till I know the crank is correct before I solder.
Thanks

Attachments

• 2ped.jpg
    2ped.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 10ped.jpg
    10ped.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 12ped.jpg
    12ped.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
Back