crazy small twins idea-thoughts?

crewcabxlt

i want to build a set of quik spooling twins for towing at hi elevation. this may have already been tried. want to run a 7 blade stock hx-35 and a 66mm s366 w/a larger ungated housing. 71mm turbine? thinking of wastegating the hx at 25 psi . drive 4500 to 8000ft elevation. fuel supplied by a 215 h p-pump . not sure on injectors yet i have a few sets.. any input?

A S400 with a 72mm compressor inducer and a turbine with 83mm inducer and a 1.10a/r exhaust housing would work awesome.

Unless you already have the 366.

I know it's apples to oranges, but 6.4L Fords can make 550+ on fuel on stock turbos which are 52mm and 65mm chargers. Might want to try a non i/c first gen turbo with a small housing, they're 50mm.

thanks for the ideas guys, i was aware the 6.4 fords were that small . those motors run higher rpm and have a little more displacement so they should need to move a little more air than a 5.9 cummins. i hate lag and suppose elevation plays into that. ive never driven below 4500ft. im not looking for 500 hp. a cool 400-450 would be nice . (uncorrected) seems like alot of people are getting 600 and even 700hp on dynos with too much correction. is the big non gated housing on the 66 good or a smaller wastgated one? i do already have the 66 and a bunch of hx-35

Last edited:
Bd towing twins is a s300g and a 66/74 1.10 I believe. It would have slightly less flow on the turbine but it would be great at towing imo.

I'd run whatever you have if you already have it lol

My 57/71mm combo will cool 400+ towing.

would fuel for max boost around 50 psi run cool? do i need to monitor drive pressure?

This
want to run a 7 blade stock hx-35
and
A S400 with a 72mm compressor inducer and a turbine with 83mm inducer and a 1.10a/r exhaust housing would work awesome.

Is what I'm doing right now for the new JGS test mobile / tow pig.
Its tempting to try a 56mm S200 high pressure turbo since we'll have lots of gate to play with.

the s-400 sounds good, i have the 66 laying around. ive got several friends running differnt twin set-ups but they all seem pretty top end wide open only

The closer the turbos are together, the more they'll fight each other to spool. I do like the hx35/66 combination, but going to a 71 or 75 would probably give it more top end. If you have both turbos though, I would go with it for sure.

I'm doing the same thing on a more performance oriented setup. GTX3076R and a GTX4202R. Should be quick spool with that small of a charger as the secondary. I'd go with a smaller charger than HX35 if you want quicker spool up and you're willing to go with an external gate.

I say do it, with both chargers that small, they'll both spool when the starter first spins, or if a good breeze pushes through the filter.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I'm doing the same thing on a more performance oriented setup. GTX3076R and a GTX4202R. Should be quick spool with that small of a charger as the secondary. I'd go with a smaller charger than HX35 if you want quicker spool up and you're willing to go with an external gate.

This sounds awesome! The GTX's seem to act like the GT counterpart, but with a lot of breath up top. Pricey, but I think it's worth it. I will probably go with a single GTX at some point. I am interested in hearing about the compound setup though!

Hard to beat a 341 or 51 for the small turbo. I like both setups, a little looser convertor will help spoolup alot.

As has been said many times, BD has been doing it for nearly a decade, for a sub 500hp truck they will be just fine.

HX35/12cm over HT60/20cm divided with 2.5" hotpipe and 3" charge pipes.

Good spooling setup!!!

HX35HT60Twins1_zps521e9fa1.jpg

HX35HT60Twins21_zpsea11024e.jpg

HX35HT60Twins12_zps46e07d49.jpg

This setup runs nice and cool, always has boost on-demand for excellent throttle response and cruises the highway with about 2 psi more than the HX35 by itself. Guess what, fuel economy has increased as well. I'm still gathering hard numbers on the fuel mileage increases during unloaded, offroad, towing, hunting, racing, etc but so far, it looks promising!

If I were trying to tow at high elevation like I used to back in Utah, I would definitely go with an HX35 or He351 based twin setup with a tight AR exhaust housing on whatever atmosphere turbo you choose to run. Obviously this 20cm HT60 I'm running is about as good as it gets for reclaimed $250-300 junkyard stuff!!!

The best advice I have for anyone wanting good spool-up is ensuring there are zero exhaust or boost leaks. For the hot side, I really like to copper coat everything!

HX35HT60Twins2_zpscc863040.jpg

Back