Crower 3.75" stroke SBC crankshaft for shorter stroke.

He's banned at that track, Northstar. He's now banned at 2 other tracks from what I heard, he has caused 5 wrecks totaling them all all these was 2015 to present. He always drifts over and takes out his opponent that lucky Bastard just spins out while everyone else has rolled. He took me out right at the 1/8th mile stripe I was about 150 mph. He slid in front of me and his 8 ft wheelie bars took out my left front wheel and sent it to full right hand lock immediately, I jumped his bars and went end over end about 15 times, it lasted well over 200 yards

No luck so far selling the Edelbrock heads. May have to send them off for porting and then use them instead. There's WCCH on this side and CFM performance back east. Won't be as good as the AFR's but will be $1000 less, even with porting.

I'd be wanting to trade up to a 4 inch leg, last half dozen sbc I've built are a 4.125 bore, 4" leg, 6" rod. Wow. Torque curve and power band are so impressive. 600 to 675 lift roller cam and a head with at least 220 intake runners will make 800+

Which 6" rods do you like to use?

They will be fine so long as the Int runners get to 220 ish and flow 300 or better, hopefully 320.

I've used K-1 and Eagle with a perfect history of zero breakage. I really like the 6" Eagle h beam 4340 with the L19 7/16" rod bolts. Bullet proof setup from my experience, at least to around 1500hp

I've eagle before, and I used Manley in my standard length motor that is in my car now. However, these builds aren't up to what you're building quality wise.
The others were in dirt track cars, so they did take a very great amount of abuse and lived long lives though.

I've built a Lot of 360 inch combos for dirt track guys, boy they beat on them for sure. Not a ton of power to speak of but...the loading and crazy unloading is hard on them, I've seen lots more broken cranks than good rods. Ultra light weight cranks like the 36 and 38 pounders Rev well but will break too. Guy just Can't skimp on the rod bolts, that's most of rod failures what what I've seen

How much of a disadvantage are the larger (70cc versus 64cc) combustion chamber heads? I don't have pistons yet, and am actually trying for 8.5 or 9.0 to 1 on this.

No difference being your buying pistons anyway.
Your using boost correct? That's sure no squeeze for a n/a combo. Do you have good access to E85 around you, if so it's so much more tolerant of dynamic loading and keeping you out of pre ignition which will kill one quick. It pinches and can even break ring rands. Have you giving thought to a small roots blower like the little B&M 144 or 177? Man if had probably 6 of them over the years, they really rip on the street, I'd put compression at 10:1 and run E85 I'd say you'd be good for 10 or 12 #boost, 4 to 6# really rips and may be enough with great heads and the right cam. Open the LSA to 110 to 114 if so. IMO

If I had a 15 gallon fuel tank in my Z, go to the nearest E85 station, fill up and drive home, I'll have just enough fuel left to make it back to the station and fill up.LOL

I hear you, shame though. I'm sure you'll want to use pump gas....at what 93 octane you will be Very limited on boost. Make sure no Hyperpathitic pistons. Their like glass to detonation.

Ever run Av gas? It's called 100 low lead. You can buy it at any airport even the small airfields keep it. Per regulation it can't test under say 103 but a fresh batch can be high as 110 maybe even 112. Terrell airport, where I used to buy it had a test kit and would show me what I was getting that trip. I'd take usually 2 or 3 of my empty 55 gal methanol drums and have them filled. Don't sit them directly on the concrete in the shop, sit em on a wood crate or something so it don't condensate. I always added a small thing of 2 stroke oil to mine for a small trace of lubricate.
The price won't scare you either, it always ran just a bit above premium pump gas prices back then. Just for grins price a drum of VP 112 or 114. I still get my methanol for 160 a drum at 120 plus octane.... worry none about compression, boost, timing advance..you can throw what you want at it with no fear of detonation.

Last edited:
It's not the price that's a problem, it's the fact that I couldn't go any where. Datsun would look a bit weird with a row of gas cans in a rack on the back. Track cars don't have to worry about fuel, break downs, or pretty much anything.

Back