Cummins in 36 Mack rat rod

I left it running for 10 min to try and get temps up to see if gauges are working. Temp got up to 140*, egt only hit 100*, oil at first was 80 then dropped to 60psi, fuel stayed at 57psi, and boost I saw creep up (5-8 lbs) when I went to partial 1/4 throttle. Does all the seem right?

Sorry to disappoint Mark lol unfortunately I didn't build it to paint. I have had many cools rides that were nicely painted and u see them everywhere... I'm confident you will never see a 36 Mack with a cummins in it. Rusty gold!

Neat ride, nonetheless.

My issue with them ("Rat Rods") is usually they are "Trash Rods".
By that I mean the people who build them take the "Rat Rod" moniker to such extremes, that they SCREW body parts together, or bailing wire items to the vehicle, making a haphazardly built vehicle that, to me, looks very unsafe, much less meeting even some simple requirements from a safety standpoint.

Personally, I wouldn't WANT to ride in a vehicle where the fuel tank is bungee strapped to the bed, or the radiator wired to the yoke, but people actually DO THIS!
It scares me, because I know how unsafe and dangerous they really are.

I have always liked the "STREET ROD" way of things, part engineering, part ingenuity and usually a nice, clean, finished look, with an aim towards a safe, enjoyable ride.

Mark.

Sorry bud I have seen $100k rat rods, but I'm with u some are unsafe as well. I have spent a ton of time and effort on this. Mine is as safe as I can make it at the moment... However not knowing what these cummins are capable of is my only regret bc I would of went thicker on the metal used.

I don't think you'll have any problems with twisting or breaking anything.
It's total weight isn't that high, traction will be limited, which will limit the frame twist and your air bags will help soak up some of the frame torque.

I think you'll have a couple of moments where you'll realize the ass will want to catch up with the nose, then after that it'll be fun to drive.

Mark.

I left it running for 10 min to try and get temps up to see if gauges are working. Temp got up to 140*, egt only hit 100*, oil at first was 80 then dropped to 60psi, fuel stayed at 57psi, and boost I saw creep up (5-8 lbs) when I went to partial 1/4 throttle. Does all the seem right?
Everything seems correct but the EGTs. Where is the probe installed?

You can see the egt and the bov both tapped on either side of exhaust.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
3dccc383f6ad3807076185cd2dd03d04.jpg
My egts usually sit right here at idle after a few minutes.

The EGT's being that low isn't that strange when the engine in my project was still in the pick up it came out of if I didn't put any load on it you could just about leave your hand on it after half an hour run time. Super cool truck makes me want to rebody my F550 with a old REO mixer cab.

I agree with Mark on a lot of what he said about a "Rat Rod". Seems it can be a crutch for some who can't build **** but wanted to build a car so he calls it a rat rod.. it's gave me a bad taste towards them. BUT to each their own.

Now your Mack is pretty phucking awesome, I must say we'll done.

Sub'd for an awesome looking project! Makes me want to get our 48 Chevy 2 ton diesel conversion finished.

/i\

I'm not getting any clutch pedal nor is it ex gauging my clutch. When I disconnect the slave from the trans and press the pedal the slave rod moves but apparently not enough to engage the clutch.

Have have pumped the pedal about 50 times but still nothing. Also with the slave disconnected from trans I pressed rod against trans 4-6 times while having friend watch for bubbles (only saw one big one come out of with cap off.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm not getting any clutch pedal nor is it ex gauging my clutch. When I disconnect the slave from the trans and press the pedal the slave rod moves but apparently not enough to engage the clutch.

Have have pumped the pedal about 50 times but still nothing. Also with the slave disconnected from trans I pressed rod against trans 4-6 times while having friend watch for bubbles (only saw one big one come out of with cap off.

What am I doing wrong?

Those master and slaves are a biotch to bleed. IMO you are better off buying a pre-bled set and DO NOT separate them. Otherwise, keep pumping... Make sure the clutch pedal throw is adequate too. You may not be using the full throw which would also put a damper on your bleeding process.

And just to be clear when you say it isn't engaging the clutch, do you mean it's not releasing it from the flywheel or its not touching the flywheel at all?

Last edited:
Back