Cummins Power ????

I came here looking for help. I can give it right back. IT seems as soon as i didnt wanta get ride of my turbo it was over from there. Why not promote the idear of a twin setup? the sb over an s400?? LIke i said it seems there a few that wanta help. the rest are just are bored with there self and forgot where they came from. what they learened along the way. And where they got the info they learned.

Your 66 is gonna be fairly laggy as is...now you wanna put it over an S400?
BTW...there's about 98758768374658634 versions of an S400....it's a frame size, not a charger.
The smallest thing your 66 will pair well with is a 480...if you think the 66 is laggy...you ain't seen nothing yet.

A smaller charger will get you the power you want...and spool fast enough to not leave you stuck in the mud when you find yourself off boost in a slow situation.

Just because you have a 66 doesn't mean it's what you need.

If you're not open to suggestions on other, properly sized chargers for your situation why should we go out of our way to help you with other parts ?

:clap::thankyou2:

Well said.

I have one of said twin set ups, further enanced by cam/headwork. It lights well for what it is but will not hit full boost from a dead stop, off idle situation, until around the time it hits second gear.

Treating others with respect is a good start. thats the best part of the quote

Take a look at my post count vs yours compared to the amount of time we've both been here. My advice to you is read a lot and keep your mouth shut most of the time. Trust me you'll learn a lot more by listening than if you run your mouth all the time like you are now.

That's enough...any and all off topic posts from here forward will be removed.
Let it go.......

like many have said before you need to look into a different turbo. that 66 is way too laggy for what you looking to do. once that things spools and starts to make power you will only have a few hundred usable rpms left and will never keep it lit in the mud.

If you have the coin you could also do a small twin setup. No matter which way you dice it most feel the 66 has got to go.

Too big as a single. To small to be the big charger in a twin set.

The goal here is to make this thing live while you're pedaling that thing for all she's got through the biggest of mud holes. You want a charger setup that is going to come up quickly and not let the pyro get out of control for minutes at a time, not just a few seconds.

thanks to all that has responed. i would like to show the 5 mods thats work there ass off to have a fourm like this the respect they have busted there asses for. im here to learn. thats all

If you have the coin you could also do a small twin setup. No matter which way you dice it most feel the 66 has got to go.

Too big as a single. To small to be the big charger in a twin set.

The goal here is to make this thing live while you're pedaling that thing for all she's got through the biggest of mud holes. You want a charger setup that is going to come up quickly and not let the pyro get out of control for minutes at a time, not just a few seconds.
What would be the setup i should lean towrds?

Ok- I'm going to ask a question.
It pertains to the purpose for the OP.
Is the mudding you mention meant for mud racing in a straight line like drag racing or is it more of a circuit racing with turns and slowing and accelerating again?
The reason I bring it up is that would clearly affect the needs for performance. In a straight line like drag racing but in mud you are going to almost instantly get the tires spinning and thus RPM's up and have the airflow to spin a bigger turbo. In conventional drag racing the traction is improved to try to have as little wheel spin as possible, so turbo spool at low RPM is vital, but if you can fuel it hard off the line and get the RPM's up and enough power to start spinning the tires you might be able to work a big single turbo.
Now, I'm not a tech expert by far compared to many on here, but I am just thinking about a way to look at this to get another angle for some good information.
The other side is circuit style racing where you are running and braking and turning and need instant power to pull through a turn to get ahead and even make a pass in a turn, you are going to want a quicker spool for sure.
So- which is it- dragging in a line to a point or running a circuit for laps times?

Edit: ^ Damn good questions in there.

Can you list the equipment you have on hand again? I know you said so once, but I cant remember where it is amongst all the banter.

We can build from there. Be open to selling a few things that may not fit. We have a good For Sale section here that can help with that.

Stock over a 471 1.10a/r, 90's, bag o' parts, bully dog pmt.

I only say pmt because it will add enough power and be egt-defuel capable.

Next question- how concerned are you about EGT's?
I mean are you like most sled pullers and never look at the pyro when pulling or are you thinking of putting a flashing light on it to tell you when you need to back off?
Another- do you have a dyno available to get this thing tuned right? Obviously you don't want to take it out on the street to try to get the power right and still watch EGT, boost, fuel pressure, etc.

Edit: ^ Damn good questions in there.

Can you list the equipment you have on hand again? I know you said so once, but I cant remember where it is amongst all the banter.

We can build from there. Be open to selling a few things that may not fit. We have a good For Sale section here that can help with that.
I have the sb 66 turbo, ats manifold, afe intake, banks intercooler with high ram, a 165 airdog 2, bd flex plate with a full billet tranny from suncoast and a 5 star from ats.

Now the mudding i do is hold it to the floor and go striaght. i dont race it just going in the biggest hole i can find.

Also if this helps the running gear is 644 to 1 the t-case is 4.7 to 1 or in low 6.7 to 1 if that helps?

Next question- how concerned are you about EGT's?
I mean are you like most sled pullers and never look at the pyro when pulling or are you thinking of putting a flashing light on it to tell you when you need to back off?
Another- do you have a dyno available to get this thing tuned right? Obviously you don't want to take it out on the street to try to get the power right and still watch EGT, boost, fuel pressure, etc.
well i dont wanta melt down somthing i work so hard for. so egta should get hotter then 1200? ill back off. as fare as the dyno theres one 2 hours away and i plan on using it.

1200 is cute and all, but honetly, that is a good number to shoot for as far as sustained temps. Short burst of 1600 degrees for a second or two is a daily occurrence for my truck, and we have seen 1800+ out of the race truck.

If we put you in the ballpark and you tune it right, you'll be able to stay in it and not back off at all. That's the goal anyway.

Do some searches on EGT and how hot is too hot. There's a time factor with the temperature.

1200 is cute and all, but honetly, that is a good number to shoot for as far as sustained temps. Short burst of 1600 degrees for a second or two is a daily occurrence for my truck, and we have seen 1800+ out of the race truck.
should i look into water injection if it is higher then 1600?

Back