Custom 12mm VE coming soon!

jimbo486

I got an extra VE pump earlier this month and shipped it off to Giles Gallie at Performance Diesel Injection in Canada. UPS tracking tells me that it arrived this morning. Giles is busy as usual but says it will be in his shop for about a week. Then I just play the waiting game for another 3-7 days until I get it back in my hands and on my motor to replace the tired (original, 400K+ miles) pump. The "custom" work will include parts that are better than Bosch which will increase reliability and longevity, tuning the AFC to reach full fuel around 40psi while keeping smoke to a minimum and squeezing every ounce of fuel out of the 12mm as possible. With complementing mods, it's certainly capable of 450hp. A buddy of mine with a '93 has Giles' "mild" 12mm on his truck and with DDP 70Lpm and a S362 put out 444hp!!

I've found others who have identical mods as I do and are in the 350hp range. When I dyno'd last in 2010, my rig put down a decent, yet respectable 263/610. This was with 4x.014s and a Banks I/C and prior to the 5x.012's and PowerStroke I/C that I'm running now. If either of those upgrades increased horsepower, it may have been a small increase. I'm eager to feel the 100% jump in power over what it's at now!

Curious how much it cost?

It's gonna be around the cost of a p-pump conversion maybe a bit more. He quoted me $1400-$1950. $1400 for mild and $1950 for balls-out. I can't afford to have my truck down that long for the work involved to do such a conversion. If it was a play truck that I didn't drive everyday and could pull the motor, then I'd do it.

Last edited:
Why would you pull the motor?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

It's gonna be around the cost of a p-pump conversion maybe a bit more. He quoted me $1400-$1950. $1400 for mild and $1950 for balls-out. I can't afford to have my truck down that long for the work involved to do such a conversion. If it was a play truck that I didn't drive everyday and could pull the motor, then I'd do it.

Thanx. You have no choice, you MUST report with how it runs when you get it back!

That is a chunk of $$$ to drop on a pump. But... knowing what is involved to mod a pump, and the associated cost, that really isn't a bad price.

I know the conversion is easily done in frame. I guess I'd just do it for the simplicity of working on it. Plus the chance to clean up the engine bay. But again, as stated, my truck is my only vehicle, driven almost daily. I can't afford to have it down for that length of time.

And like Cumminsfever said, considering what a p-pump would cost to have tuned in the same manner, it's not a bad deal.

Could do it in one day and have way more power.

Most First Gen guys don't want to spend the money on all the supporting hardware (head studs, lift pump, etc.) for big power anyways, so VE's do 'em just fine. I know it's easy to make 600-700rwhp with a p-pump swap, but 14mm VE pumps can do that too, even without giggle gas.

Meh, p-pump sounds cooler LOL

I agree!

Most First Gen guys don't want to spend the money on all the supporting hardware (head studs, lift pump, etc.) for big power anyways, so VE's do 'em just fine. I know it's easy to make 600-700rwhp with a p-pump swap, but 14mm VE pumps can do that too, even without giggle gas.

Plus, the cool-factor of having a lowly, 12mm VE pump putting down mid-400 numbers! :evil I'll certainly need to invest in an Airdog soon as I know the low-pressure piston lift pump won't keep up with it in the top end. That's on the list, of course. I've got the motor out of my '91.5 sold to a buddy of mine so I'll use part of that cash to fund the Airdog. I'm waiting on a fuel tank sump that's on back order at the moment but I should see it within the next month.

And it's fun to, on occasion, stomp an unsuspecting / ill-tuned Pee-pumped truck. :evil

hmmm anyone tore into a giles pump after you got it back to see the differences? I'd like to know more secrets of these VEs. Or more time, pumps, and a pump bench to figure it out on my own...

Isn't stomp running a giles 14mm? or what can he do with a 14mm pump and how do you get a hold of this guy?

like others said though, its worth keepin the VE when everyone is talkin smack, then you blow their doors off with the lil VE pump. The reaction they get when you beat them in a race, dyno, or pull is priceless. Theres always gonna be someone bigger and better with more power so why try to always get there when you can have more fun just messin with the VE

hmmm anyone tore into a giles pump after you got it back to see the differences? I'd like to know more secrets of these VEs. Or more time, pumps, and a pump bench to figure it out on my own...

Isn't stomp running a giles 14mm? or what can he do with a 14mm pump and how do you get a hold of this guy?

STOMP is running a 14mm built by Bradley's Injection Service with help from Ponci's Diesel, and the head was built by Brian Block (KTA).

Same one I am running, although the pump was built by Scheid Diesel.

hmmm anyone tore into a giles pump after you got it back to see the differences? I'd like to know more secrets of these VEs.

id like to know at least some of the stuff they are doing... 1900 bucks is a lot of money for a ve pump if they arent doing some big things.

Giles can't give much information about exactly what he does other than some AFC tuning with a very stiff spring, a custom fuel pin and a couple of internal parts being replaced for some that are better than Bosch, in his words and will also increase reliability and longevity as I mentioned earlier. These are all trade secrets that he doesn't give away. He'd certainly put himself out of a job if he told everyone what it is he does to double the output of these pumps.

I'd be afraid to tear into a pump to see what changes he made, honestly. I'm sure he stands behind all of his work 100% so I won't take any chance of voiding whatever kind of warranty he offers. He can do some wild things with a 14mm. My buddy also has a 14mm from Giles but never had the chance to dyno with it. It's mannerisms aren't so great for a daily driver.

He can be reached by email, giles@performancediesel.ca or phone, 905-940-2266.

My guess is that you could take a Giles pump apart and still not know what he changed...other than what he tells you, spring, pin, h&r, etc.

Back