Custom trans cooler set up: Ideas & pointers.

Ugly Dodge

I got the transmission out. The entire cooler system is rusted and leaking. My plan is just to start over. The route I’m going is one or two 40,000 GVWR coolers up front and to fit as many frame rail coolers as possible on it. I’m assuming a few people here have experience with this kind of undertaking. So any advice would be appreciated.

*I’ve ruled out a rear set up because of all the gravel and dirt roads this truck will see. I’m also thinking if I parallel the two front coolers instead of series I’ll have all the cooling I need.

I have a b&m plate cooler in the oe location, and a derale 15870 under the bed. They are ran in series and it almost runs to cool, only time I've kicked my fan on the derale was when I was towing 15k on 100 degree day while in traffic.

Choice of fittings and lines? Summit? Jegs? Was the cooler under the turbo deleted?

I haven’t ruled out PTO use yet. Could be making some trips to Death Valley so heat maybe an issue. Although, I’m not going to run any tuner that screws with stock fuel trim so torque loads will be kept down.

If you aren't opposed to shimming the radiator back 1/2" a Ford 6.0 trans cooler can be stuffed in between the intercooler and radiator. I've got that in series with my stock trans cooler. I don't tow often but I'm always hard on the truck, driving around on 80-90* days pan temp only reaches 130.

For lines I'd spend the money on the braided PTFE hose or some quality braided rubber hose. My Summit brand braided lines started leaking at the hot line fitting.

Last edited:
I agree with Zach, I used summit -8 braided lines and there fittings. I've blown the hot line off 3x even after switching to differant fittings.its like the rubber flattens out over time and eventually blows the line off,even if I've re torqued the fitting. Also Im running without the heat exchanger. Next go round will be rubber hose and push locs

I think stainless braided is a must. Money not an issue. I’m not keeping anything from stock system. It’s all bad. I deleted the AC so I have lots of space to run multiple coolers.

Another thing I want to add is that I want it to be easily removed, for an engine swap or overhaul or adding another cooler later?. I don’t have that much experience with customization like this. But it seems like the more money I spend the easier the work will be.

I guess my budget on a new cooling system is $1000.00 max. I don’t plan on going over that. So hopefully I’m making sense. I’m not always the best communicator. Thanks for the input guys!

Delete the stock garbage (especially the trans heater under the turbo) and run a Ford 6.0L oil cooler. One is plenty, hot lapping my racetruck 2-3x in a row with no fan trans only reaches 175 or so. Just driving around/street rodding on my old street truck trans wouldn't go above 140. Especially if you have AC deleted there will be tons of airflow on that cooler if you put it right up front.

Twice now 6.0 coolers are recommended. 2004s? Or 2005-2007? I have easy access to junkyards. What makes those so good? I’d still try to fit 2 up front if that’s what I decide I can’t see those being expensive either.

I got time too. I need to rebuild trans & valve body & oil pan gasket. Then cooling system. I’m a slow mover so this could takes months. Underneath my truck should look brand new by Christmas.

Believe mine is an 07. They are good because they are huge and high flowing. I think 2 is way overkill.

Believe mine is an 07. They are good because they are huge and high flowing. I think 2 is way overkill.

You’re right. Just google searched it. Probably can’t even fit 2 on it unless I do what Zach recommend. I’ll investigate this and see if I can score 1 or 2 in junk yard on the cheap.

I think stainless braided is a must. Money not an issue. I’m not keeping anything from stock system. It’s all bad. I deleted the AC so I have lots of space to run multiple coolers.

Another thing I want to add is that I want it to be easily removed, for an engine swap or overhaul or adding another cooler later?. I don’t have that much experience with customization like this. But it seems like the more money I spend the easier the work will be.

On my first gen, I routed the transmission fluid through the stock AC condenser about ten years ago. Working well so far.

On my first gen, I routed the transmission fluid through the stock AC condenser about ten years ago. Working well so far.

I have also known guys to do this, heard it works very well. AC condenser is pretty large, but slightly smaller than the 6.0L cooler.

You’re right. Just google searched it. Probably can’t even fit 2 on it unless I do what Zach recommend. I’ll investigate this and see if I can score 1 or 2 in junk yard on the cheap.

I am seeing them online $130-200...even the fancy mishimoto one is under $300.

If you don't have an AC condenser you can definitely fit a the large 6.0 cooler up front. I had mine out front for a while but it was a real tight fit with the condenser, without you'll have plenty of room and should get better cooling.

I run the 6.0 32 row cooler on mine and with my 5th wheel I’m around 25k combined , the other weekend I was towing in 102 deg weather and the trans barley got to 180 deg , now the coolant was another story ! Lmao . I use russle fittings and ss line strait from trans to cooler and back , I tigged -8 fittings on the cooler.

I run the 6.0 32 row cooler on mine and with my 5th wheel I’m around 25k combined , the other weekend I was towing in 102 deg weather and the trans barley got to 180 deg , now the coolant was another story ! Lmao . I use russle fittings and ss line strait from trans to cooler and back , I tigged -8 fittings on the cooler.

Just a single 6.0 cooler with no Ram OEM coolers?

I am seeing them online $130-200...even the fancy mishimoto one is under $300.

Starting to think the fancy Mishimoto could be my ticket.

Thanks again everyone.

I'll toss you an elaborate idea I've toyed around with in my head.

You know the heat exchanger on the block, the one that runs engine coolant through it and comes directly out of the TC.

Get a trans cooler with fan, an electric water pump, create a second coolant system dedicated to that heat exchanger. No engine coolant ran through it, run hoses from the heat exchanger to your location of choice, add a cooler, water pump, and coolant reservoir. Theoretically it will lower temps a significant amount. Downside is you will lose the effect of the trans warming up faster in winter.

I'll toss you an elaborate idea I've toyed around with in my head.

You know the heat exchanger on the block, the one that runs engine coolant through it and comes directly out of the TC.

Get a trans cooler with fan, an electric water pump, create a second coolant system dedicated to that heat exchanger. No engine coolant ran through it, run hoses from the heat exchanger to your location of choice, add a cooler, water pump, and coolant reservoir. Theoretically it will lower temps a significant amount. Downside is you will lose the effect of the trans warming up faster in winter.

I don't see the added benefit to that system, you would be better off to put a larger fin cooler. In the system you describe once the coolant fluid you are using is up to temp the added cooling effect is gone. The system will probably be even less efficient as every time you exchange you loose efficiency as no radiator is 100% efficient.

Back