Daily Bread

No Deal!

ODB RADIO: Listen Now | Download
READ: Luke 4:1-13

It is written, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.” —Luke 4:4

We’ve all seen and heard advertisements that entice us to take shortcuts to happiness. Buy our product and make no payments for one year! Instant gratification!

When the devil tempted Jesus (Luke 4:1-13), he offered a shortcut to “satisfaction.” He tried to tempt Jesus to take matters into His own hands rather than trust His Father.

When Jesus was hungry from 40 days of fasting (v.2), Satan suggested that He use His power to turn stones into bread. Had the Lord done so, He would have been using His powers for His own benefit, but He refused.

Why didn’t Jesus accept the devil’s offer of ruling all the kingdoms of the world right away? (vv.5-7). He could have avoided the cross. But that would have gone against God’s plan for Him—to give His life on the cross, to be resurrected, and to sit at the Father’s right hand in His kingdom. Satan’s offer of a shortcut was no deal at all.

Beware of enticements that seem to cost little for the present. Satan hopes to get you to do things his way. And he doesn’t give up easily. Even after Jesus overcame a third temptation, Satan left only “until an opportune time” (v.13).

Whenever you are offered a shortcut to happiness, watch out to see who’s behind the cashier’s counter! — C. P. Hia

Lord, help me see the devil’s offers for what they are—enticements to sin.

Help me to keep my eyes focused on You and Your Word, and my ears attentive to You in prayer. Amen.

The best way to escape temptation is to run to God.

Precious Fruit

READ: Galatians 5:22-26

The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. —Galatians 5:22-23

How much would you be willing to pay for a piece of fruit? In Japan , someone paid more than $6,000 for one Densuke watermelon. Grown only on the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido , this beautiful dark-green sphere looks like a bowling ball. The nearly 18-pound watermelon was one of only a few thousand available that year. The fruit’s rarity brought an astronomical price on the market.

Christians have fruit that is far more precious than the Densuke watermelon. It’s called the fruit of the Spirit: “love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control” (Gal. 5:22-23). Each “fruit” is a different aspect of Christlikeness. In the Gospels, we see how Christ exemplified these virtues. Now He wants to produce them in our hearts—in what we say, how we think, and how we respond to life (John 15:1-4).

A rare and delicious fruit may bring a premium price in the marketplace, but Christlike character is of far greater worth. As we confess all known sin and yield to God’s indwelling Spirit, our lives will be transformed to the likeness of Christ (1 John 1:9; Eph. 5:18). This spiritual fruit will fill our lives with joy, bless those around us, and last into eternity. — Dennis Fisher

Think not alone of outward form;
Its beauty will depart;
But cultivate the Spirit’s fruits
That grow within the heart. —D. De Haan

Fruitfulness for Christ depends on fellowship with Christ.

Six Principles To Live By

Get understanding.
Proverbs 4:7 NKJV
Incorporate these six principles into your life: 1) don't worry, when you're doing your best. God accepts no less, but He demands no more. 'Trust in the Lord, and do good… and He shall give you the desires of your heart!' (Psalm 37:3-4 NKJV) 2) don't hurry, when success depends on accuracy. 'Good planning and hard work lead to prosperity, but hasty shortcuts lead to poverty' (Proverbs 21:5 NLT) 3) don't form conclusions until you have all the facts. Everyone you meet has unmet needs, unhealed wounds and unfulfilled hopes. If you want people to evaluate you by your best qualities, rather than your worst, 'Do to others as you would like them to do to you' (Luke 6:31 NLT) 4) don't believe a thing is impossible without trying it. When you are in God's will, doing things God's way, sensitive to His timing and willing to persevere, your problems are just a platform for Him to work on your behalf 'we must wait patiently and confidently.' (Romans 8:28 NLT) 5) don't waste your time on trivial matters. In order to put first things first, you must ask yourself, 'What is it that only I can do, or do best?' Only when you've answered that question will you know what you should do 6) don't think that good intentions are an acceptable excuse for doing nothing. Examine your life; are you a 'talker' or a 'doer?' Get specific about your diet and your devotions, your finances and your family, etc. God likes specifics, you will too.
At Whit's End:
Wisdom...you hear that word tossed around quite a bit, but do we really understand what it is? There is a big difference between worldly wisdom and Godly wisdom. Gaining Godly wisdom takes resolve--a determination not to abandon the search once you begin no matter how difficult the road may become. This is not a once in a lifetime step, but a daily process in choosing between two paths--the wicked and the righteous. Nothing else is more important or more valuable to the believer this side of Heaven. Godly wisdom is deferring to all that God has to teach you, even when you don't understand it at the time (or maybe ever will).
--Whit

Too Perfect For Their Own Good

Train up a child in the way he should go...
Proverbs 22:6 NKJV
Do you have a child who has to do everything perfectly? They're only happy in school when they get an 'A.' A 'B' depresses them. Driven by their own impossible standards they never feel 'good enough.' Parent, here are ten traits to help you identify and deal with the perfectionist child: 1) they may over-function in pursuit of perfect results, becoming mislabeled as a young workaholic 2) they may under-function to avoid the pain of anticipated failure, getting mislabeled as lazy 3) they may avoid social contact to keep others from discovering their imperfections 4) when they 'ace' an assignment, they can't enjoy their success for worrying about failing their next one 5) fearing failure, they hesitate to try new things 6) they over-focus on their mistakes 7) they procrastinate, underachieve, leave work unfinished or quit before completion to evade failing 8) to prevent criticism from others they'll do almost anything including lie, rationalize, excuse themselves and blame others 9) they're often anxious and worried, anticipating the worst 10) they may be subject to physical complaints like frequent headaches, stomach upsets, fatigue, eating problems, etc.
Children don't automatically know how to behave. Without your help their perfectionism can intensify, dominating them and diminishing the quality of their life. Parent, you are called and empowered by God to: 'Train up your child in the way [they] should go and when they are older, it'll stick with them'. God promises, 'If any… lacks wisdom… ask God… and it will be given… ' (James 1:5 NIV). Talk to God, He knows about parenting!

At Whit's End:
Let me preface this by saying that I love my six-year old son Marcus with all my heart and we are so blessed to have him in our family. But, with the good comes the challenging moments. He is very smart, but as stubborn as the day is long sometimes. He is independent and wants to do everything, but he also wants to do it on his timetable. Hence, the problem (especially with his school work). We are working hard with him and doing our best to bring him up in the way he should go through his faith, but some days it seems like a lump on our head is all we are getting as a reward. Ah, but the God we serve is a good God and will light our path to successful (if not creative) parenting. God has promised help and I surely plan to hold Him to it! I hope you do as well with your children.

Rich Towards God

Rich toward God.
Luke 12:21 NKJV
We're supposed to offer God our acts of service, but the gift He desires most is us. Think of Jesus' last conversation with His friend Peter. Peter was so human: he followed Jesus, learned from Him, served Him, doubted Him, misunderstood Him, praised Him and denied Him. Yet Jesus' final question to His friend was relational: 'Peter, do you love Me?' Three times He asked Peter that question. St. Augustine said all ethics could be summed up in this: 'Love God, and do what you will,' for when you love God you'll want to do what God loves. Though flawed like the Psalmist, you can say, 'I delight to do Your will, O my God… ' (Psalm 40:8 NKJV).
God created us so that He could be with us. In Eden He came and walked with the man and woman He had made, just to be with them. When He formed the nation of Israel He said, 'I will walk among you and be your God… ' (Leviticus 26:12 NKJV). Heaven announced the birth of Jesus, 'they shall call His name "Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us"' (Matthew 1:23 NKJV). It's as if God says each morning, 'I'd like to spend this day with you.' One author writes: 'I can't make myself love God, but I can come to know Him better. And because God is love, the more I come to know Him, the more my love for Him will grow. Love is a by-product of knowing. So I can spend this day loving God. And tomorrow I can seek to love Him a little more.' That's what it means to be 'rich towards God.'

At Whit's End:
Have you ever wondered how God's measure of wealth is for those He created? I believe when we look at if from God's eyes we'll see that time is our currency and each of us is given 24 hours a day. The choice is how we will spend it? Will you use it to become rich toward God or will you squander it? Will you use it to help someone out, or will you use it for your own selfish desires? Time, like death, is the great equalizer. We all have the same amount time and we all will someday die, regardless of the zeros behind the numbers in our bank account. Does that mean having money is bad? Absolutely not! But the love of it will lead to spiritual death. With that in mind, wouldn't you rather be rich toward God? I thought so...
--Whit

God Works In Mud

READ: Genesis 2:1-7

The Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. —Genesis 2:7

In a 1950s novel, there is a scene in which four village men confess their sins to one another. One of the men, Michelis, cries out, “How can God let us live on the earth? Why doesn’t He kill us to purify creation?” “Because, Michelis,” one of the men answered, “God is a potter; He works in mud.”

This is literally what the Lord did in Genesis. The sovereign Creator formed and shaped humanity by unique design. This process involved fashioning a man from the dust of the ground. The word formed in Genesis 2:7 describes the work of an artist. Like a potter, molding and fashioning mud into a pot or some other earthen vessel, so the Lord God formed humanity from clay.

God’s work with dust and mud continued by breathing into man the breath of life, changing his form into a living soul. This made man a spiritual being, with a capacity to serve and fellowship with the Lord.

After Adam and Eve sinned, God continued working in and with mud, sending His Son Jesus to die for humanity and then regenerating those who receive Him so that we can enjoy fellowship with Him. In gratitude, let’s use our hands to do good works for His glory. — Marvin Williams

In His own image God created man,
He formed his body from the dust of earth;
But more than that, to all who are in Christ
He gives eternal life by second birth. —Hess

God is the only One who can make the dirty clean.

You Can't Save Yourself!
Not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.
Ephesians 2:8 NKJV
When a lifeguard is trying to save you, it's a mistake to try and assist him. At first this might not seem like a problem; after all, we usually encourage people to help themselves. But when you're flailing around in deep water you tire easily and sink faster; you also drag others down with you. That's why a lifeguard will tell you to stop struggling and trust him. Understand this: God doesn't need your help to save you!
The Bible says, 'He took our sin… and made us alive in Christ. He did… this on his own, with no help from us… All we do is trust him… It's God's gift from start to finish! We don't play the major role. If we did, we'd go… around bragging that we'd done the whole thing!' (Ephesians 2:4-9 TM). When Nicodemus came to talk to Jesus about salvation, he thought Jesus would tell him to abide by certain religious doctrines and exercises. What this prominent religious leader failed to grasp, is the all-encompassing nature of salvation; that we can't earn God's acceptance. He's not impressed with our good works; in His eyes 'our best efforts are grease-stained rags… ' (Isaiah 64:6 TM). There's a humbling thought! Robert Lowry wrote: 'Nothing can for sin atone; nothing but the blood of Jesus. Naught of good that I have done; nothing but the blood of Jesus. Oh precious is the flow, that makes me white as snow. No other fount I know; nothing but the blood of Jesus.' Paul writes: 'God['s]… grace… is a free gift… ' (Romans 3:24 NCV), and He's offering it to you today. Will you accept it?

At Whit's End:
When someone gives you a gift, do you say, "That's very nice--how much do I owe you?" No, the appropriate response to a gift is "thank you." Yet, how often Christians, even after they have been given the gift of salvation, feel obligated to try to work their way to God. Because our salvation and even our faith are gifts, we should respond with gratitude, praise, and joy.
--Whit

Preventing Regret

READ: 2 Samuel 18:31–19:4

The king was deeply moved, and went up to the chamber over the gate, and wept. —2 Samuel 18:33

In the 1980s, the British band Mike and the Mechanics recorded a powerful song titled, “The Living Years.” The songwriter mourns his father’s death, because their relationship had been strained and marked by silence rather than sharing. The singer remorsefully says, “I didn’t get to tell him all the things I had to say.” Struggling with regret over words unsaid and love unexpressed, he laments, “I just wish I could have told him in the living years.”

King David similarly regretted his broken relationship with his son Absalom. Angered over David’s refusal to punish Amnon for raping his sister Tamar, Absalom killed Amnon and fled (2 Sam. 13:21-34). David’s servant Joab knew that he longed to go to his fugitive son, so he arranged for Absalom to be brought to him. But their relationship was never the same again. Absalom’s bitterness sparked a conflict that ended with his death (18:14). It was a bitter victory for King David, causing him to lament his lost son and their failed relationship (18:33). No amount of grieving, however, could undo David’s heartache.

We can learn from David’s regret when dealing with broken relationships. The pain of trying to make things right can be hard. But it’s much better to do what we can to make things right “in the living years.” — Bill Crowder

For Further Study
Do you have a strained relationship with someone?
For help, read on the Internet What Do You Do With A Broken Relationship? at What Do You Do With A Broken Relationship? - Discovery Series

A broken relationship can be repaired— but only if you’re willing to try.

Living By 'The Faith Rule'

These all died in faith...
Hebrews 11:13 NKJV
The Bible says, 'These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them… ' (Hebrews 11:13 NKJV) People of faith anticipate what God promised, whether they ever experience its fulfillment or not. 'How can I believe in a promise I don't see fulfilled?' you ask. People like Abraham didn't live to see the ultimate fulfillment of God's promise in their lives, yet they died believing it. Trusting God means banking on His Word, even when there's nothing visible to demonstrate that what He says is going to come true. Even when you're on your deathbed and it still hasn't happened, you still trust Him. That's living by faith. The words 'in faith' in this Scripture are different from the words used in all the verses that read 'by faith.' The words 'in faith' actually mean 'according to faith.' These people lived by 'the faith rule.' Faith was the ruling principle in their lives! So even if they went to their graves without seeing God's promises fulfilled, they exited saying, 'God still told the truth.' They knew that the fulfillment was coming, and they lived in anticipation of it. That's what God is asking of you today. He wants you to live before Him in such a way that you anticipate His promises, even when every circumstance seems opposite to what those promises say. It also means you don't manipulate the circumstances to 'help God out' as Sarah did when she produced Ishmael. It means trusting God to do it His way, in His time, and for His glory.

At Whit's End:
Have you ever started something, but were not around to see the fruits of your labor? Maybe you started a children's ministry because your kids were that age, but they grew up before it came to fruition. Maybe you started a Little League Baseball program in your home town, but your son (or daughter) grew up before you really saw the league gain momentum. I think of many of the heroes of faith in this way. They gave so much then, so we can enjoy the fruits now. On the other hand, many Christians become frustrated and defeated because their needs, wants, expectations, and demands are not immediately met when they believe in Christ. They become impatient and want to quit. If you are one of those people, take courage from the heroes of the Bible who lived and died without seeing the fruit of their faith on earth and yet continued to believe! Their toil became our blessings, and for that I'm very grateful.
--Whit

Doing Good
Do not withhold good...
Proverbs 3:27 NKJV
Dan Clark recalls when he was a teenager, he and his father once stood in line to buy tickets for the circus. They noticed a poor family immediately in front of them. The parents were holding hands. They had eight children, all probably under the age of twelve. He could tell that the circus was going to be a new adventure for them. The attendant asked how many tickets they wanted. The man proudly responded, 'I'd like to buy eight children's tickets and two adult tickets.' When the attendant quoted the price, the man's wife let go of his hand and her head drooped. The man leaned a little closer and asked, 'How much did you say?' The attendant quoted the price again. The man obviously didn't have the money. He looked crushed. Clark says his father watched all this, put his hand in his pocket, pulled out a twenty pound note and dropped it on the ground. His father then reached down, picked up the note, tapped the man on the shoulder and said, 'Excuse me, I think this must be yours.' The man knew exactly what was going on. He looked straight into Clark 's father's eyes, took his hand, shook it, and with a tear streaming down his cheek, replied, 'Thank you, thank you, sir. This really means a lot to me and my family.' Clark and his father went back to their car and drove home. They didn't have enough money to go to the circus that night, but it didn't matter. They'd blessed a whole family, and it was something neither family would ever forget. That's called 'doing good.'

At Whit's End:
Withholding good is inconsiderate and unfair, whether it is repaying a loan, returning a tool, or fulfilling a promise. Withholding destroys trust and creates a great inconvenience. Be as eager to do good as you are to have good done to you. Is it always easy? No, but with the power of God it can be done. Whether it be that "extra grace required" co-worker, a nosy neighbor, family member, or even a spouse, making an effort to do good for them is following God's commands. Who knows, you might even earn the respect and friendship of someone you never imagined would come around. What a blessing that would be!
--Whit

Living By 'The Faith Rule'

These all died in faith...
Hebrews 11:13 NKJV
The Bible says, 'These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them… ' (Hebrews 11:13 NKJV) People of faith anticipate what God promised, whether they ever experience its fulfillment or not. 'How can I believe in a promise I don't see fulfilled?' you ask. People like Abraham didn't live to see the ultimate fulfillment of God's promise in their lives, yet they died believing it. Trusting God means banking on His Word, even when there's nothing visible to demonstrate that what He says is going to come true. Even when you're on your deathbed and it still hasn't happened, you still trust Him. That's living by faith. The words 'in faith' in this Scripture are different from the words used in all the verses that read 'by faith.' The words 'in faith' actually mean 'according to faith.' These people lived by 'the faith rule.' Faith was the ruling principle in their lives! So even if they went to their graves without seeing God's promises fulfilled, they exited saying, 'God still told the truth.' They knew that the fulfillment was coming, and they lived in anticipation of it. That's what God is asking of you today. He wants you to live before Him in such a way that you anticipate His promises, even when every circumstance seems opposite to what those promises say. It also means you don't manipulate the circumstances to 'help God out' as Sarah did when she produced Ishmael. It means trusting God to do it His way, in His time, and for His glory.

At Whit's End:
Have you ever started something, but were not around to see the fruits of your labor? Maybe you started a children's ministry because your kids were that age, but they grew up before it came to fruition. Maybe you started a Little League Baseball program in your home town, but your son (or daughter) grew up before you really saw the league gain momentum. I think of many of the heroes of faith in this way. They gave so much then, so we can enjoy the fruits now. On the other hand, many Christians become frustrated and defeated because their needs, wants, expectations, and demands are not immediately met when they believe in Christ. They become impatient and want to quit. If you are one of those people, take courage from the heroes of the Bible who lived and died without seeing the fruit of their faith on earth and yet continued to believe! Their toil became our blessings, and for that I'm very grateful.

got my dfc sticker and cards today!!! sweeeeeeeeet!!!! any chance i could buy one of the "Rollin' coal and savin souls" stickers?

Loving People

Love one another...
John 15:12 NKJV
Loving people is only a vague concept, unless we do these five things:
1) People are insecure; give them confidence. Beneath their fa�ade lie memories of a painful past and anxiety over what's coming their way next. Tell them God says, 'I will never leave you nor forsake you' (Hebrews 13:5 NKJV). When nothing else works, God's Word does.
2) People need to feel special; compliment them. Do it when they least expect it, and it's clear you seek nothing in return. Mary Kay Ash, founder of a major cosmetics company in the USA , said, 'Everyone has an invisible sign hanging around their neck saying, "Make me feel important!"' Notice how often God's Word tells us how much He loves us, how special we are, and His plans for us.
3) People are looking for a better tomorrow; give them hope. Let them know that when you put God in the centre of your life, your future can be better than your past. 'as long as he sought the Lord, God made him prosper' (2 Chronicles 26:5 NKJV).
4) People need to be understood; listen to them. The trouble is this takes more time than we're willing to give. We're in too much of a hurry to hand out advice and move on, and it doesn't work. Before people can be 'fixed,' they must feel understood.
5) People need role models; be one. Paul told the Corinthians, 'Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ' (1 Corinthians 11:1 NIV). Too often we're unaware of the example we set and the impression we're making. Like it or not, what you do, and don't do, influences others. When you leave this world, what you leave behind is your influence.

At Whit's End:
I don't think it's a stretch to say that more songs have been written about love than any other topic. Listening to all those songs you could get a variety of different definitions of it, but God sees love much differently than what's constantly pushed upon us by the world. It is God's desire for us to love each other as Jesus loved us...enough that He give His life for us. We may not have to die for someone, but there are other ways to practice sacrificial love, including (but not limited to), listening, helping, encouraging, and giving. Think of someone in particular who needs this kind of love today. Give all the love you can, and then try to give a little more. That, my friends, is the kind of sacrificial love we are called to. Are you up for it?
--Whit

The Best Of Gifts

READ: John 1:10-13

Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift! —2 Corinthians 9:15

Having trouble selecting that perfect gift for someone? A friend shared with me a few suggestions:

• The gift of listening. No interrupting, no planning your response. Just listening.

• The gift of affection. Being generous with appropriate hugs, kisses, and pats on the back.

• The gift of laughter. Sharing funny stories and jokes. Your gift will say, “I love to laugh with you.”

• The gift of a written note. Expressing in a brief, handwritten note your appreciation or affection.

• The gift of a compliment. Sincerely saying, “You look great today” or “You are special” can bring a smile.

But as we begin this special month of celebration, why not pass on the best gift you’ve ever received? Share the fact that “the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus” (Rom. 6:23). Or share this verse from John 1:12, “As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” Remind others that “God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).

The best gift of all is Jesus Christ. “Thanks be to God for His indescribable gift!” (2 Cor. 9:15). — Cindy Hess Kasper

The greatest Gift that has ever been given
Is Jesus Christ who was sent down from heaven.
This Gift can be yours if you will believe;
Trust Him as Savior, and new life receive. —Hess

The best gift was found in a manger.

I really enjoy reading your post daily, truly a blessing to many. God Bless you! Merry CHRISTmas to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Life Is Too Big

READ: 1 Kings 3:4-14

O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in. —1 Kings 3:7

As a young man, Jimmy Carter was a junior officer in the US Navy. He was deeply impacted by Admiral Hyman Rickover, the mastermind of the US nuclear submarine fleet.

Shortly after Carter’s inauguration as President, he invited Rickover to the White House for lunch, where the admiral presented Carter with a plaque that read, “O, God, Thy sea is so great, and my boat is so small.” That prayer is a useful perspective on the size and complexity of life and our inability to manage it on our own.

Solomon too knew that life could be overwhelming. When he succeeded his father, David, as king of Israel, he confessed his weakness to God, saying, “O Lord my God, You have made Your servant king instead of my father David, but I am a little child; I do not know how to go out or come in” (1 Kings 3:7). As a result, he asked for the wisdom to lead in a way that would please God and help others (v.9).

Is life feeling too big for you? There may not be easy answers to the challenges you are facing, but God promises that, if you ask for wisdom, He will grant it (James 1:5). You don’t have to face the overwhelming challenges of life alone. — Bill Crowder

Each day we learn from yesterday
Of God’s great love and care;
And every burden we must face
He’ll surely help us bear. —D. De Haan

Recognizing our own smallness can cause us to embrace God’s greatness.

The Right Place ; The Right People

For such a time as this.
Esther 4:14 NIV
Esther won a beauty contest, married a king, lived in a palace, uncovered a plot to exterminate the Jewish people and saved them. Her story shows us the importance of being in the right place, and being influenced by the right people. So:
(1) Where you are today is no accident. Mordecai, Esther's mentor, challenged her and changed her life by saying, "Who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?" (Esther 4:14 NIV). Esther didn't set out to be queen, but once she was she had to decide between her comfort and her calling. It's a choice we all make. "What's my calling?" you ask. It could involve your job, your marriage, your tasks as a parent, your friendships. It could involve the neighborhood where you live or volunteering at your church. One thing is certain: when God calls, it's 'your time'. We're tempted to think we're 'treading water' right now, waiting for some other time or more important opportunity. No, you don't get to choose your time; God does that! The Psalmist said, "My times are in Your hands" (Psalm 31:15 NIV).
(2) God sends special people to guide us. Without Mordecai in her life Esther might never have understood her calling. And without his help she might never have embraced it. So, who's your Mordecai? Who knows you well enough to help clarify your calling? Who loves you enough to challenge you when you get off track, or strengthen you when you want to quit and turn back? Not one of us is a composite of all of life's virtues; we all have blind spots and weaknesses. That's why God sends others - and why we need them!

At Whit's End:
Today, as you read this message, do you have the attitude that others will need God's intervention if they are to be saved? Instead, we should have the attitude that God has placed you in a position to make a difference in their life by reaching out to them with the love of Christ. That is one of the main purposes we are called to as Christians. When it is within our reach to help others find the way to Jesus Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit's guidance, we must do so. Faith in Jesus Christ saves the lost, but God often uses you and I to bring the message of salvation to those far from Him. Are you up for the task? Are you prepared "for a time such as this?"
--Whit

Warning Lights

READ: Joel 2:12-17

“Now, therefore,” says the Lord, “Turn to Me with all your heart, with fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” —Joel 2:12

I didn’t think that the hesitation in my car engine and that little yellow “check engine” light on my dashboard really needed my immediate attention. I sang it away, saying that I would get to it tomorrow. However, the next morning when I turned the key to start my car, it wouldn’t start. My first reaction was frustration, knowing that this would mean money, time, and inconvenience. My second thought was more of a resolution: I need to pay attention to warning lights that are trying to get my attention—they can mean something is wrong.

In Joel 2:12-17, we read that God used the prophet Joel to encourage His people to pay attention to the warning light on their spiritual dashboard. Prosperity had caused them to become complacent and negligent in their commitment to the Lord. Their faith had degenerated into empty formalism and their lives into moral bankruptcy. So God sent a locust plague to ruin crops in order to get His people’s attention, causing them to change their behavior and turn to Him with their whole heart.

What warning lights are flashing in your life? What needs to be tuned up or repaired through confession and repentance? — Marvin Williams

God’s love is not some fuzzy thing
That lets us do what we think best;
It guides and warns, and shows the way,
And always puts us to the test. —D. De Haan

Conviction is God’s warning light.

Try To Avoid Strife

Let there be no strife between you and me...
Genesis 13:8 NKJV
When the grazing land they shared became too small for their flocks, Abraham said to his nephew Lot , '"let there be no strife between you and me… for we are brethren"' (Genesis 13:8 NKJV). We learn two important lessons from this story:
1) Don't wait, take the initiative. Abraham didn't say, 'I'm not getting involved in this.' No, he realized that left unchecked it had the potential to drive a wedge between them, so he nipped it in the bud. Hindsight may be 20/20, but foresight is what's needed to build lasting relationships. God had just told Abraham, 'I will bless you and make your name great… ' (Genesis 12:2 NKJV). But growth and blessing call for wisdom. If God's plan for Abraham was to be fulfilled, this situation had to be dealt with. Nobody enjoys confrontation, but your future peace and prosperity require handling things wisely, before they get out of hand.
2) Don't worry about getting short-changed, God will make it up to you. Lot, the younger of the two men, chose the fertile, well-watered plains of Jordan , leaving Abraham with what looked like the short end of the stick. As senior partner, Abraham had the right to pull rank and demand the best land for himself, but he didn't. That's because he realized two things: a) that he'd outgrown his relationship with Lot; now it was time to exit with grace, not contention b) that his goals and values were incompatible with Lot 's. What Lot chose went up in smoke; what Abraham chose blessed all mankind. So be a peacemaker, and walk in God's blessing.

At Whit's End:
Rivalries, arguments, and disagreements among believers can be destructive in three ways. 1) They damage goodwill, trust, and peace--all foundations of good human relationships. 2) They hamper progress toward important goals. 3) They make us self-centered rather than love centered. Jesus understood how destructive arguments among believers could be. We see this in His final prayer before being betrayed and arrested, when Jesus asked God that His followers be "one." How are you at handling conflict and strife? Are you putting these solid truths to work in your life?
--Whit

Becoming Whole

READ: Romans 7:13-25

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. —Philippians 2:12-13

When a friend fell off her bike and suffered a severe brain injury, doctors weren’t sure she would survive. For several days she remained suspended between life and death.

The first good news came when she opened her eyes. Then she responded to simple voice commands. But with every small improvement, anxiety remained. How far would she progress?

After one difficult day of therapy, her husband was discouraged. But the very next morning he shared these welcome words: “ Sandy ’s back!” Physically, emotionally, psychologically, and mentally, Sandy was becoming the “self” who we knew and loved.

Sandy’s fall reminds me of what theologians refer to as “the fall” of mankind (Gen. 3). And her struggle to recover parallels our struggle to overcome the brokenness of sin (Rom. 7:18). If only her body healed, recovery would be incomplete. The same would be true if her brain worked but her body didn’t. Wholeness means that all parts work together for one purpose.

God is the one healing Sandy, but she has to work hard in therapy to improve. The same is true of us spiritually. After God saves us through Christ, we must “work out” our salvation (Phil. 2:12)—not to earn it but to bring our thoughts and actions into agreement with His purpose. — Julie Ackerman Link

More like the Master I would ever be,
More of His meekness, more humility;
More zeal to labor, more courage to be true,
More consecration for work He bids me do. —Gabriel

To become whole, keep yielding to the Holy Spirit.

The King Of Fruits

READ: Luke 19:12-26

Present your bodies a living sacrifice, . . . which is your reasonable service. —Romans 12:1

The durian, a tropical fruit, is often called The King of Fruits. Either you love it or you hate it. Those who love it will do almost anything to get it. Those who hate it won’t get near it because of its pungent smell. My wife loves it. Recently, a friend, who was grateful for what my wife had done for her, sent her a box of the finest quality durians. She took great pains to ensure that they were the best.

I asked myself, “If we can give the best to a friend, how can we do less for our Lord who gave His very life for us?”

The nobleman in Jesus’ parable in Luke 19 wanted the best from 10 servants to whom he gave money, saying, “Do business till I come” (v.13). When he returned and asked for an account, he gave the same commendation “Well done!” to all those who had done what they could with the money entrusted to them. But he called “wicked” (v.22) the one who did nothing with his money.

The primary meaning of this story is stewardship of what we’ve been given. To be faithful with what God has given to us is to give Him our best in return. As the master gave money to the servants in the parable, so God has given us gifts to serve Him. It is we who will lose out if we fail to give Him our best. — C. P. Hia

Give of your best to the Master,
Give Him first place in your heart;
Give Him first place in your service,
Consecrate every part. —Grose

We are at our best when we serve God by serving others.

Back