Data Loggers

hate to sound like a cheapskate (but i am one), anybody ever build their own?

We use the RPM Data logger on our truck and i am a Distributor for them so you can look at those and if you have any questions let me know.

how much does somebody have to spend, generally speaking. say with 5 temps and five pressures? and rpm? do you HAVE to use their probes? lots of ?'s about these things.

Well you can use as many as you want, you will just have to figure out how many of everything you want. We use i believe 8 EGTs. so you can design one for your application if you get on the RPM Web site you can see which one you want. There turbo Kit has 8 EGT, 2 EGT connector boxes, 1 hall sensor, 1 pinion collar, 4 magnet, 1 0-100 PSI sensor (Boost), 1 0-250 PSI sensor (Oil), 1 0-250 PSI sensor (Fuel), 1 0-300 Deg F sensor (intake sensor), 1 0-5G Accelerometer, remote start cable and switch and all sensor cables.

Depends on which company data logger you get- anywhere from 1100- 2500 again depends on which manafacturer you go with....

Why not build your own system?

I work in Shipyard and I have build few gansets with ComAp controllers (full engine and electricity monintoring)

Same company also make simple engine controllers.

Here is controller description:

Modular system for control, monitoring and protection of the diesel powered pumps
Central unit with graphical display
Communication interface: RS232, CAN bus, J1939
14 configurable inputs and outputs
8 configurable analogue iputs, 1 RPM input
Compatible with Inteli I/O extension modules
UL certified
Direct, Modem or Internet connection
Active call receiving
All measured values include J1939 data monitoring
History record - alarm and operational states listing
Setpoints adjusting

Here is screen shoot: