DDP 90's went in and now have a rattle, need advice

Yeah, so far theres nobody with signs of any damage due to it.

Ty's had it for a Long Time and his truck still runs fine. Oil test fine.

I think ur ok.

This is what Les has said in the other SSR thread in " Smarty Power"
Looks like something can be done through the SW.

I find it hard to believe but, If this is true I sure would like to try the new software. I've only ever used the Smarty and have been on TNTR 5.7 for several years now. My truck has had metal marbles in it and nothing changes using any level of the software.

It depends with my truck. After DDP 90's i've had the rattle. The previous truck the tips were in had no rattle. In cold weather the rattle is by far the worst. Warmer temps it's alot quieter , if not non-existent. I hate the sound, but i don't worry about. Until something solves it i will deal with it

Just went and tried to take the timing out and no go, still have the rattle and it drives me NUTS! I sure hope EFI live can do something with this issue....

I have same issue as you with new nozzles.... Sending mine out to get balanced..

I just installed new 100 HP nozzles and noticed a rattle from the injectors on first test drive (One for sure) and now after a few days of running around testing with different Smarty Jr. settings I notice a lot of hazing out of the tail pipe at idol and driving.

I called Cummins Performance Parts (Jamie) that sold me the nozzles and the first thing he asks me was "did you have the nozzles installed by a professional"? Of course I was insulted thinking to myself it ain't that hard WTH!

He then told me most of the time after installing new injector nozzles they have to be bench tested and Flow Balanced. I wish I had known that, cause I would have shipped to him (Jamie) in the first place.... So now guess what I doing? Yup! taken them all out again and shipping them out... It's only $35 each plus shipping.

To me it's worth the extra cash to do it right the first time... It's a gamble not to..

I'm just saying!!

flow match balance does not cure this issue, mine were done at top quality shop and rattles like no tomorrow, I would not even dyno with it in this condition. give me a knot in my stomach when I drive it if I don't turn the radio up.

I have same issue as you with new nozzles.... Sending mine out to get balanced..

I just installed new 100 HP nozzles and noticed a rattle from the injectors on first test drive (One for sure) and now after a few days of running around testing with different Smarty Jr. settings I notice a lot of hazing out of the tail pipe at idol and driving.

I called Cummins Performance Parts (Jamie) that sold me the nozzles and the first thing he asks me was "did you have the nozzles installed by a professional"? Of course I was insulted thinking to myself it ain't that hard WTH!

He then told me most of the time after installing new injector nozzles they have to be bench tested and Flow Balanced. I wish I had known that, cause I would have shipped to him (Jamie) in the first place.... So now guess what I doing? Yup! taken them all out again and shipping them out... It's only $35 each plus shipping.

To me it's worth the extra cash to do it right the first time... It's a gamble not to..

I'm just saying!!

Really sounds like a plug... My question is how you gonna flow balance injectors minus the honing? $210 for 6 sounds a little cheap to balance injectors without it to me....

Has anyone with the rattle gone to the extreme and tried to run the truck with stock software, to see if it is related to the injectors themselves, or the injectors and the smarty programming combined that is the cause? this information would possibly help Don and Marco on each of their quests for the cure.

Mike,

I ran mine stock right after the 100 Nozzles where in and same rattles as others... I also have lite smoke at idle and constant haze driving normal, also I have a surge at Hwy speeds. This all happened right after ARP's and Nozzles installed.

Really sounds like a plug... My question is how you gonna flow balance injectors minus the honing? $210 for 6 sounds a little cheap to balance injectors without it to me....

A plug??? Not sure what you mean (Plug).. I don't know how balancing without honing... I'm going by what I was told by the guy that sold me the nozzles...

Wow! rlawless

First post Burn down!!

Hang On!!!!!

lol

I know huh!:lolly: I normally hung out at the cummins forum and I heard that "Triton" had this problem and started some threads on it... I did some searching using his name and ended up here.... I'm Glad I Did!!!

I Didn't now about this forum til yesterday... I have been building my Truck up after a long time lot of research and reading the "TDR" mainly the trials and tributes of what Joe Donnelly and Doug Leno (my build was based off there info) has written about.... I saved nozzles as my last upgrade and SMACK!!! this rattle crap....

I'm very displeased and want this rattle thing to go away..... If I have to fall back to 50HP nozzles I will... Just stop the rattle... I love listening to that engine sing with the twins (Compounds) but now that rattle :doh:

A plug??? Not sure what you mean (Plug).. I don't know how balancing without honing... I'm going by what I was told by the guy that sold me the nozzles...

Sounds to me like you got some bad info and might have spent money that you didn't need to, concidering that's already been done and didn't fix the issue!

I know huh!:lolly: I normally hung out at the cummins forum and I heard that "Triton" had this problem and started some threads on it... I did some searching using his name and ended up here.... I'm Glad I Did!!!

I Didn't now about this forum til yesterday... I have been building my Truck up after a long time lot of research and reading the "TDR" mainly the trials and tributes of what Joe Donnelly and Doug Leno (my build was based off there info) has written about.... I saved nozzles as my last upgrade and SMACK!!! this rattle crap....

I'm very displeased and want this rattle thing to go away..... If I have to fall back to 50HP nozzles I will... Just stop the rattle... I love listening to that engine sing with the twins (Compounds) but now that rattle :doh:

I'll have to agree that $35 a piece isn't going to get you what you're after. That's a typical charge to clean ( not disassemble ) injectors.

The rattle is something our truck just do. It's way more pronounced in some trucks than others. I've said it before... my wifes complete stock truck does it but, it's very subtle.

I've had the rattle since driving my truck out of the shop from being rebuilt from the ground up. I replaced every sensor on the truck, I pulled the head to look for damage/causes, I had my injectors tested several times, I tried different sets of injectors. Nothing made a difference. I now have very large brand new Bosch motorsports injector tips that are flow matched and the rattle is as bad as it ever was.

I've driven all over the east coast as well as to Texas with the rattle figuring I'll find the problem once something breaks. Nothing so far and it's been 4yrs. I've talked to some of the most knowledgeable people in the industry and no one has the answer.

I personally think it's in the electronics and/or pilot injectors. Once injectors get so big, I believe the pilot injection is starting the combustion to soon causing combustion knock.

You guys just haven't heard a rattle till you've been in my truck. It truly sounds like a washing machine spinning metal marbles around. I'm pretty much over it know though and just turn the radio up. It runs like a bat out of hell and my wife attributes that to my magic rattle :) I can show you at least 5 threads I started here staring back in 07 about the issue. Some went for pages with great info but, with no resolution to the rattle.

so, knowing you have the rattle, knowing the noise drives ya nuts....... did you just go and set the smarty for power, or leave it turned back to try to lower the rattle levels? curious because I have mine tuned to try to lower rattle, but that just takes so much of the punch away from the truck.

so, knowing you have the rattle, knowing the noise drives ya nuts....... did you just go and set the smarty for power, or leave it turned back to try to lower the rattle levels? curious because I have mine tuned to try to lower rattle, but that just takes so much of the punch away from the truck.

The Smarty has no effect on any setting. My truck does it on the OEM software. If it is the pilot injection, the only way to get rid of it would be to eliminate that event which nothing out there is able to do yet.

thanks, well at least smarty tuning is done from inside the truck, first day of spring here but its snowing........... maybe I'll go play with settings later.

Ok here is a thought.....

Some trucks do it and some trucks dont, I seen the crew at EFI were are looking for guys to send in their stock tunes to see how many different operating systems are out there for these trucks, could we have different operating systems than the trucks that dont have the rattle??
I may not even be in the ball park here just thinkin out loud.......
Maybe the stock tuning is alittle different in the trucks that dont have it??
IDK..... just a thought guys!?

You may be right.

Sams (slowgo) truck from Carolina Diesel had almost my exact set up with Flux 3.5's and his truck was as quiet as stock.

Mines had the rattle on all my motors.

I've never had the rattle. Different engines, different injectors (all Don's though), and all kinds of playing with Smarty settings. Kinda odd...

Paul

If trying the tuning route, start by adding 50 microseconds to the pilot. Add or subtract from there. Leave the SOI at the same time though. Just extend, not advance.

I am still willing to try and tune out this noise or at least try to mute it with injector tweaks, but it would take time to get a perfect recipe for a wide range of injectors. Not all Bosch factory injectors are tuned exactly the same. I was successful at this already. It idles like a Honda Accord now from rattling like a 24VP truck.

Back