Dicking Around . .

Taking this opportunity to remake the down-pipe to bell-housing mount. I forgot about it when I switched to the lock-up trans and had to cut the thing off, dang-it. :doh:

Fitting_Down_Pipe.jpg

Got a little more done tonight:
- The Primary pressure sensor assembly installed. The IP's AFC reference signal is from the Tee-fitting to the right.

Primary_Pressure_Sensor.jpg

- The Secondary pressure sensor installed.
- The turbo lube-oil manifold. It's -8AN fed and in turn feeds the turbos via -4AN lines.
- The waste-gate actuator assembly.

Turbo_Lube_Manifold.jpg

Man, I still remember your truck in the mag.....seems like a lifetime ago!

Edit: What was your best time? I forget. And at what weight? I'm collecting data now that I'm drag racin my VE again....

Last edited:
Man, I still remember your truck in the mag.....seems like a lifetime ago!

Edit: What was your best time? I forget. And at what weight? I'm collecting data now that I'm drag racin my VE again....
It was a while back indeed. It's a very different truck today.
Around ten years ago, it was good for a 12.67 @ 6400lbs with an old-school HT3B & S362/65.

1owner.jpg

Got the down-pipe to bell-housing mount installed. The thing takes the load of the exhaust down-pipe and intermediate-pipe movement off the turbo flanges. ;)

Aft_Downpipe_Mount_1.jpg

Aft_Downpipe_Mount_2.jpg

Pesky details. :bang

That’s a tight area with a passenger side drop front axle and 4” pipe. How did you squeeze between the frame rail and transfer case?

I’ve seen a flex pipe used to squeeze by the t-case.

That’s a tight area with a passenger side drop front axle and 4” pipe. How did you squeeze between the frame rail and transfer case?

I’ve seen a flex pipe used to squeeze by the t-case.

It's 5" (two 3" into one 5").

Starting just aft the bell-housing . . .

DP-3_zpsmcg2huo3.jpg

I've a 4" section of SS Triple-lock 5" flex to address movement of the engine. That flex spans the frame diagonal . .

front%20flex_zpsgjhtjyv0.jpg

Once past the diagonal, the flex connects to the front of the intermediate-pipe. That pipe is nested in the passenger's frame-rail. As such, while it's tight, a 5" passes with no dents etc . . . . .

in%20frame_zpsrxteippd.jpg

From there, the intermediate-pipe includes a 5" take-off for the temporary bed-stack on its way to the muffler . . .

wye%20pipe_zpskhou1sxx.jpg

It took a while to whittle-out but, it all fits with no rattling/buzzing. ;)

Last edited:
Nice clean exhaust plumbing work. My hang up was over the axle being a 2wd chassis. With the truck loaded 2,000 - 4,000 lbs on the bed, I have contact at the shock. I did use a MBRP kit though.

Is the engine between the frame rails yet?

Is the engine between the frame rails yet?
:hehe:

No.

Still pecking at it though . . .

- Cab heat plumbing.
- Intake feed-horn cleaned up and fitted.
- High-pressure injector feed-lines.
- DATA-logging sensors and the associated wiring harness.
* (Most is just sitting there and easily set aside so as to install the engine with less crap in the way). ;)

DATA_Logging_Sensors_Wiring_1.jpg

DATA_Logging_Sensors_Wiring_2.jpg

DATA_Logging_Sensors_Wiring_3.jpg

- Still have a few small engine details. Dip-stick tube (mine broke the plastic tube), injection-pump timing-pin doohickey, etc.
- I've been dragging my feet getting to correcting/fabbing/crap regarding the turbo oil-drains and the current remote oil-filter location. I'll have to make it all so as to have it all fit to my liking.
- Clean the skank-ass engine-bay.
- Replace the crack-prone steering-box mounting bracket because, well, it's right there easily accessed. ;)

At the end of the day, I really need to have the heap on the road and be reliable, in the next three to four weeks. Got other life chit to do. You know, . . . like drive the damned thing! ;)

So, back when I first installed the triples, I had to relocate the engine lube-oil filter. I made a bracket for the filter-head that was OK but, when I installed it, I found that I had forgotten about that turbo lube-oil drain port on the engine oil pan. DOH! I had to grossly tweak the bracket to have the oil filter clear the one turbo oil drain port in the pan.

remote-lube-oil-filter-done_zpsy0w53qtp.jpg

filter-installed-bottom_zpsgowx4er0.jpg

With this new build, I have the opportunity and plenty of room to fabricate/fit a new bracket that clears the two oil drain ports in the pan.
The former ugly Bracket:

Old_Bracket.jpg

Do some ciphering and make a template:

Template.jpg

Transfer that to some 1/8" thick plate-steel, cut it out and fold it up:

Cut_and_Folded.jpg

Cut/drill the opening for the filter-head and associated mounting bolts:

Drilled_and_Welded.jpg

Paint and assemble:

New_Bracket.jpg

Install and shorten/fit the hoses (plenty of room for the turbo oil drain mess):

New_Bracket_Installed_1.jpg

The hoses are well away from the hot stuff.

New_Bracket_Installed_2.jpg

I think it turned out pretty well considering it was made with a jigsaw, anvil, maul and drill. :)

You owe me a new monitor. I just spit coffee all over mine.

Im sitting here reading this taking a break from an underground drawing in CAD as we speak.

Thats good chit. Im going to have to steal that one.

Back when I first built the triple-heap, the lower turbo-group support proved to be less than adequate. It broke. :doh:

So, I made a new, mo'betta one. ;)

More CAD work:

Turbo_Support_1.jpg

It fastens to the passenger's upper engine mount bracket:

Turbo_Support_2.jpg

I drilled and threaded a hole in the engine mount bracket and, using a shoulder-bolt, a couple of small/heavy washers and a jamb-nut, made a pivot-point for the support:

Turbo_Support_3.jpg

A little more tweaking, cleaning and paint reveals this:

Turbo_Support_4.jpg

Turbo_Support_5.jpg

It appears to fit as though it was made to go there and allows room for a turbo lube-oil drain to pass under it:

Turbo_Support_6.jpg

It easily clears all the stuff behind it:

Turbo_Support_7.jpg

This version better accommodates thermal expansion/contraction of the heap by allowing the mass to pivot to and from the head without excessive binding:

Turbo_Support_8.jpg

We'll see, huh?

Happy Thanksgiving folks! Hope you got some time off to spend with family & friends. If you had to work, thanks for holding the fort down. ;)

While waiting on parts, I went ahead and disassembled and, by way of the ultrasonic cleaner, cleaned the injector components. I'll reassemble and confirm/adjust the pop-pressure directly.

Cleaning_Injectors.jpg

Clean up in there!

Cleaning_Nozzles.jpg

This old fella's been of good service all things considered.

Pop_Pressure_Tester.jpg

I reckon I'll get to them soon enough . . .

The donor engine included its stock/OEM turbo lube-oil drain pipe. I got to looking at it and couldn't help but see the big difference in the working internal diameter of the flange/fitting. The typical "Billet" Aluminum fitting on the left, stock/OEM on the right.

Common_and_OEM.jpg

At least one of my primaries was having an issue with lube-oil getting into the compressor. In addition to those narrow drain flanges, I'd committed the sin of tying two turbo drains together. Yeah, I know.

I "Tweaked" that OEM drain-tube to fit the bottom primary.

Bottom_Primary_Lube_Oil_Drain_1.jpg

Bottom_Primary_Lube_Oil_Drain_2.jpg

I may have to pull it up closer to the turbo, as it comes out of the turbo. It's got to clear the passenger's frame-rail.

I've got a couple more 1/2" steel T3 lube-oil drain flanges. That and some 3/4" EMT should take care of the remaining turbos.

T3_T4_Steel_Oil_Drain_Flange.jpg

We'll see, huh?

Borg Warner is rather clear on their recommendations, I am unsure why this information isn't more common.

Oil System.png

Back