Discussion... will there be 2.6 in 2 years? or be 2.5 and 3.0

Are u referring to the hypermax boat anchor?

I do see your poin.

I wouldnt call it a boat anchor it makes good power. No it doesnt make the power of the 5.3 turbos some of the ppl tractors are running but those cost well over 10k

I wouldnt call it a boat anchor it makes good power. No it doesnt make the power of the 5.3 turbos some of the ppl tractors are running but those cost well over 10k

Just have heard complaints from some of the Outlaws that were required to run it for their class.

So as soon as you say well over $10K for a turbo, kind of makes the current 3.0 one sound not too bad.

Just have heard complaints from some of the Outlaws that were required to run it for their class.

So as soon as you say well over $10K for a turbo, kind of makes the current 3.0 one sound not too bad.

yes but that 10k prostock turbo also makes twice the power as these 3.0 turbos.

Competition drives the cost up, not the rules. I don't like how expensive it has become, but if you want to compete at a national level the cost will always be there. If you want to not spend a small fortune, build to your budget and go to brush pulls, that is the reality of it all.

Last edited:
I think people soon forget that you don't always need the best name brand parts out there to compete. A lot of ingenuity goes a long way. And also anybody can throw out all the horsepower numbers they want but getting it to the track is another story. I don't think there is anything in this world that someone with more money hasn't pushed the level of competition up higher and higher. We do this for fun not as careers so just remember to have fun with it. Just my .02

What's wrong with taking the duals off and dropping weight. No one has mentioned taking weight off. Doesn't cost money and will make it a driver class where horse power isn't king. Also, if you put a bigger rearend in a truck, ring and pinion still can break unless you have some 6.20's in there, unless I am way out in left field. Easy for me to say cause I haven't spent the big bucks, but IMO, the easiest way to keep from breaking is less weight

Competition drives the cost up, not the rules. I don't like how expensive it has become, but if you want to compete at a national level the cost will always be there. If you want to not spend a small fortune, build to your budget and go to brush pulls, that is the reality of it all.

Competition does drive up cost, but rules that allow competitors with deeper pockets to have a BIG advantage, drives it up MUCH faster...... You will never keep deep pockets out of the sport, but you can manage rules that don't allow them as much of an advantage. Pullers (especially those who can spend the money), don't generally like a level playing field though.

If rules allowed ZERO modifications, it would be a much cheaper sport overall, but we all know that is not practical. The trick is finding the "Goldy Locks" happy medium.....a class where HP/Traction doesn't exceed the limits of the driveline (with a slight buffer built in as well) without the need for high dollar fixes/repairs. The problem is pullers want more and more and more, and those who want to be on top have to play catch up, then when the limit is reached it's too late (it's pretty tough, and almost impossible, to go backwards). 2.8 should have been a good learning experience, but it was not :doh: The 2.8 guys made more and more power as the years went on, they started breaking axle shafts, so they made stronger axles. They broke those, so they started making bigger axles and carriers/spools, they then started having ring and pinion issues. The ring and pinion ended up being the stopping point as the only real solution was bigger axles. The technology of 2.6 pushed beyond what 2.8 WAS, so it was only a matter of time (not like the science wasn't already there with proof).

Last edited:
Back to the original question, its cheaper to build a 3.0 truck than 2.6 truck. They are to close together, many have left or bumped up to 3.0 because of driveline issues. I'm slowely building a 3.0 truck and if I'm going to have 12 to 1300 hp why would you want to limit yourself regarding diveline

Back to the original question, its cheaper to build a 3.0 truck than 2.6 truck. They are to close together, many have left or bumped up to 3.0 because of driveline issues. I'm slowely building a 3.0 truck and if I'm going to have 12 to 1300 hp why would you want to limit yourself regarding diveline

You better up your game if your only gonna make 12-1300. :)

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from but you can build and maintain a 2.6 truck for a long time before you get to the cost to build a 3.0.

Talk to the top 2.6 guys and they'll tell you the main reason they won't go 3.0 is bc of the money if cost to go to open driveline.

To the 3.0 counts being down at COTPC. If you noticed 2 weekends ago there was no PPL event and the 3.0 class was big and extremely competitive. Springfield was one of the best classes I'd seen in a while with about a foot between 5 or 6 trucks. Most of those trucks ran the PPL last year too but the added hooks for them this year shows up on the smaller Orgs.

If you're just starting to get into to truck pulling then most people probably wouldn't want to jump right in with a bigger org that has a lot of good trucks because they will get spanked. But most of those trucks don't run around to every brush pull either to come in and steal the money. It's a progressive sport so you need to start smaller and work you're way up. With any form of motorsport there will always be cost involved and that's just something you have to take into account when you're building your truck. If you can only afford to build a 700hp truck then pull brush stuff where the competition is at that level, don't show up to a ppl event and complain about it. My first year out I was 30ft off the central Ohio guys. Last year I was 10-15ft after a lot of work. This year I've put in even more work and I'm about 5ft off. I make changes every week trying to get there and I am getting closer. So if you aren't willing to put in the work to get to the competition level you want to be at then don't complain about trying you get the rules changed.

Well said Justin.

Also there's rumors going around about Gearhart pulling...
All hear say to me but either way good luck. Lol

I'm not sure where you're getting your facts from but you can build and maintain a 2.6 truck for a long time before you get to the cost to build a 3.0.

Talk to the top 2.6 guys and they'll tell you the main reason they won't go 3.0 is bc of the money if cost to go to open driveline.

To the 3.0 counts being down at COTPC. If you noticed 2 weekends ago there was no PPL event and the 3.0 class was big and extremely competitive. Springfield was one of the best classes I'd seen in a while with about a foot between 5 or 6 trucks. Most of those trucks ran the PPL last year too but the added hooks for them this year shows up on the smaller Orgs.

If you're just starting to get into to truck pulling then most people probably wouldn't want to jump right in with a bigger org that has a lot of good trucks because they will get spanked. But most of those trucks don't run around to every brush pull either to come in and steal the money. It's a progressive sport so you need to start smaller and work you're way up. With any form of motorsport there will always be cost involved and that's just something you have to take into account when you're building your truck. If you can only afford to build a 700hp truck then pull brush stuff where the competition is at that level, don't show up to a ppl event and complain about it. My first year out I was 30ft off the central Ohio guys. Last year I was 10-15ft after a lot of work. This year I've put in even more work and I'm about 5ft off. I make changes every week trying to get there and I am getting closer. So if you aren't willing to put in the work to get to the competition level you want to be at then don't complain about trying you get the rules changed.

Starting from scratch I don't think the cost difference between 3.0 and 2.6 is that much, I would say less than $10K. The issue is the 2.6 guys selling their "used" parts and taking the hit on those, then having to buy new 3.0 parts.

I mean the engines are darn near identical.

Starting from scratch I don't think the cost difference between 3.0 and 2.6 is that much, I would say less than $10K. The issue is the 2.6 guys selling their "used" parts and taking the hit on those, then having to buy new 3.0 parts.

I mean the engines are darn near identical.

It's a little over 16k, I just helped my buddy do it two years ago. That didn't include one single part for the engine or turbo. That was all in the driveline Selling the 80 and nv4500 and 271 helped some but not much. The parts don't bring what they did 5 years ago.

It's a little over 16k, I just helped my buddy do it two years ago. That didn't include one single part for the engine or turbo. That was all in the driveline Selling the 80 and nv4500 and 271 helped some but not much. The parts don't bring what they did 5 years ago.

Other than the turbo, what is really different on the engine? $2000 turbo difference?

You can get by with a $1000 rear end and a $3000 drop box. So that is $4000. Sell the OEM stuff for say $1000

Figure a set of axles and spool cost $2500 for a D80/AAM.
So now your at a $1000 spread.

Of course you can go out and buy the high dollar ($8k) rear end for a 3.0 truck, but you can spend the same on a 2.6 rear end now as well.

All of the classes do cost more to be competitive in than they did 5 years ago.

It's not the cost of the reverser/dropbox and axle that gets you it's all the little stuff to connect them that adds up. You have to by tubing to weld the axle in a plate to hold the drop box intermediate shaft, a sheild for it. Take the reverser for example when you pay 1895.00 for it the input shaft and the snout are not included in that price. You think it's just a grand or two differnce and it's not. I haven't done it but I helped a buddy the whole way on his drive train and I was standing there when he laid the cash out for it.

Last edited:
It's not the cost of the reverser/dropbox and axle that gets you it's all the little stuff to connect them that adds up. You have to by tubing to weld the axle in a plate to hold the drop box intermediate shaft, a sheild for it. Take the reverser for example when you pay 1895.00 for it the input shaft and the snout are not included in that price. You think it's just a grand or two differnce and it's not. I haven't done it but I helped a buddy the whole way on his drive train and I was standing there when he laid the cash out for it.

OK, so the $16K was to a streetable truck to 3.0?

So lets build a 2.6 truck

$2500 for axle/spool
$3000 clutch/blanket
$800 for upgraded driveshaft
$250 for loops
$350 for ladder bars
$100 for suspension stops
$200 for upgraded diff cover
$500 for gear change

$7700

So that is where I am coming up with the $10K difference.

I do agree lots of little stuff adds up

Now stepping up from 2.6 to 3.0 you would be lucky to get $3000 for the above stuff, so it would cost about $13K(using your $16K) to go from 2.6 to 3.0 driveline wise

Back