Discussion... will there be 2.6 in 2 years? or be 2.5 and 3.0

Read your above post not sure if you messed up when you typed but you said and they way I took it was that you could go from 2.6 to 3.0 for less then 10k. My freinds truck was the old 3.0 rules had good parts in the 80 etc. It would be by todays standards as a great 2.6 driveline.

Read your above post not sure if you messed up when you typed but you said and they way I took it was that you could go from 2.6 to 3.0 for less then 10k. My freinds truck was the old 3.0 rules had good parts in the 80 etc. It would be by todays standards as a great 2.6 driveline.

I said $13K, while it isn't less than $10K.

So here is the point, put $3500 in the drop box(with the miscellaneous small parts you talk about), buy new driveshafts for $1200, spend $1500 on a rear end. Think the midplate to mount the drop box is $350(if you don't make your own) $500 in steel to mount the new rear.

$7K, still don't see where the $16K is, maybe if you post some prices of the big items I will see what I am missing?

Last edited:
It cost 7700.00 for the drivetrain and 4900 for the rearend. That's not counting the clutch, driveshafts, front ring gear front axles hydraulic steering fire suit helmet gloves etc. What else do you want me to prove? I know your going to say you could of put a 1000 stock sqhd in it, but how long would it hold up to 1400 hp. Also the 4900 price didn't include buying the axle just the work.

It cost 7700.00 for the drivetrain and 4900 for the rearend. That's not counting the clutch, driveshafts, front ring gear front axles hydraulic steering fire suit helmet gloves etc. What else do you want me to prove? I know your going to say you could of put a 1000 stock sqhd in it, but how long would it hold up to 1400 hp. Also the 4900 price didn't include buying the axle just the work.

$7700 in the drivetrain seems to be the issue, it can be done for less. Moot at this point. Let me say it can be done for about $10K, but that is buying everything right, using a NV4500. However most will spend more to do it....

Last edited:
This was with a profab reverser. I don't think a nv4500 will hold up. He is already twisting the input on the reverser. Even if you make the adapter plates yourself. How much do you really save standing in front of a mill all day? It's ok Dan you don't have to believe me try to do it cheaper and you will probably do it twice, like I have a lot of times.

Or build a 2 wheeler... Less parts to buy... Ha ha Sorry guys had to... :Cheer:

Or, you could just buy a old gasser truck for the driveline and drop your engine in. Seen open driveline rolling chassis on racing junk and pulloff for under $10k many times.

Well said Justin.

Also there's rumors going around about Gearhart pulling...
All hear say to me but either way good luck. Lol

Haha. You have to love the old rumor mill.

You can jump to 3.0 for not a ton of money but you always have to pay more for the "good stuff." Either way it isn't exactly cheap by most peoples standards.

This was with a profab reverser. I don't think a nv4500 will hold up. He is already twisting the input on the reverser. Even if you make the adapter plates yourself. How much do you really save standing in front of a mill all day? It's ok Dan you don't have to believe me try to do it cheaper and you will probably do it twice, like I have a lot of times.

I wouldn't have believed the cost jump was as little as it is, until I saw it for myself.

Haha. You have to love the old rumor mill.

You can jump to 3.0 for not a ton of money but you always have to pay more for the "good stuff." Either way it isn't exactly cheap by most peoples standards.

Yea, especially in a competitive industry like this... Can be quite rumor sometimes. Ha

One comment I noticed about this whole conversation was "dedicated puller". No matter what you do, that will always be the case. If you are going pulling you are going to have "smart" guys who take a truck, prep it for exactly that so come monday they are not driving a ford focus to work cause their truck is broke. I wouldnt get into the sport if I didn't have a dedicated puller. I don't want the headache. So if you think taking the 2.6 class to a 2.5 class is going to be the solution for "dedicated pullers" you got another thing coming.

Now I know there will be some arguement on this but it is jsut the way I see it. To get rid of 2.6 and go straight to 3.0 leaves some wide gaps, Mainly in the pocket book. 2.6 trucks are mainly dedicated pullers but unless you are in the top say 20% of the class I think you are going to be hurting. To go from 2.5 to 3.0 is a chunk of change. I know if you are pulling adn have a dedicated puller you should have teh cash to fork over but now you are looking at a huge jump in parts and experience. A middle class, whether it be 2.6, 2.7, 2.8 or whatever needs to be there. Piloting a 700hp and jumping to a 1200 or more hp truck is a huge jump in driving experience. Not only that but cost. I see who is jumping from 2.6 to 3.0. I also think most of them dont have to worry about the price tag as much as the rest. But they ran 2.6 for the longest time. Why? Expereince? Price to start? its got to be something, but you have to know why they started in 2.6 before you say it is a bad class because they are jumping to 3.0. That is just my opinion, argue away!

Dan, your cost to jump up is to go from an upper level 2.6 to a lower level 3.0, right? There is a difference in the pumps, injectors, chargers, and don't most of them run water? I'm thinking theres AT LEAST $10k in perf. parts PLUS the additional driveline expenses, no?

Now if we're talking new builds on both, I'd be inclined to think the difference might be close to $10k more for the 3.0.

Last edited:
Dan, your cost to jump up is to go from an upper level 2.6 to a lower level 3.0, right? There is a difference in the pumps, injectors, chargers, and don't most of them run water? I'm thinking theres AT LEAST $10k in perf. parts PLUS the additional driveline expenses, no?

Now if we're talking new builds on both, I'd be inclined to think the difference might be close to $10k more for the 3.0.

From the top level 2.6 truck to a strong running 3.0, I think they are much closer than you think.

I may be wrong, and my $10K was ideal situation, but it can be done. Heck most of the top 2.6 and 3.0 guys are spending $ every year to keep up as well.

I would say one of the bigger hurdles for the 3.0 is the logistics. Pretty much locked into a pit vehicle, which means your needing at least 2 people at every pull.

Then factor in the way to get the pit vehicle around, that does add cost. As always it is the little things that kill ya. LOL

I would say one of the bigger hurdles for the 3.0 is the logistics. Pretty much locked into a pit vehicle, which means your needing at least 2 people at every pull.

Then factor in the way to get the pit vehicle around, that does add cost. As always it is the little things that kill ya. LOL

That's true but several of the 2.6 guys are filled now and needing pit vehicles anyway.

Like I said earlier you can probably make the jump for not a ton of money but it costs more for the good stuff. Just for reference, you can have 9K in a sheet metal sqhd alone.

That's true but several of the 2.6 guys are filled now and needing pit vehicles anyway.

Like I said earlier you can probably make the jump for not a ton of money but it costs more for the good stuff. Just for reference, you can have 9K in a sheet metal sqhd alone.
Not putting you down. I just get a laugh at what some people spend. I did a little work myself $1500 in a sq with 4 alum 16x12 wheels. Save that 7500 cut the weight somewhere else.
IMG_20130405_185812_815_zpsa24afc29.jpg
hear people all the time I spent $$$$ from haisley. Back of my mind I'm thinking yea I bet you did ha. Just me but I would rather build it than buy it. No way we could have ever a built a truck by putting together store bought parts.

Not putting you down. I just get a laugh at what some people spend. I did a little work myself $1500 in a sq with 4 alum 16x12 wheels. Save that 7500 cut the weight somewhere else.
IMG_20130405_185812_815_zpsa24afc29.jpg
hear people all the time I spent $$$$ from haisley. Back of my mind I'm thinking yea I bet you did ha. Just me but I would rather build it than buy it. No way we could have ever a built a truck by putting together store bought parts.

I was just stating the option bc a lot of people aren't able to do there own stuff. I've seen people spend 10k of a rearend for 2.6 trucks too. I put more money in my rearend this winter than I should have when I was looking to try to make the r/p last longer. Spending too much and working too much is easy to do in this sport.

I was just stating the option bc a lot of people aren't able to do there own stuff. I've seen people spend 10k of a rearend for 2.6 trucks too. I put more money in my rearend this winter than I should have when I was looking to try to make the r/p last longer. Spending too much and working too much is easy to do in this sport.
I agree, way to easy to do. I'm very glad we got rid of changing r/p all time.

I'm with you on this one. I don't understand they haul a 8000lb truck and whatever a Kubota/rtv weighs and some tools with a semi and 53' vanline trailer. My friends boss hauls a 650 JD dozer with a 20k trailer and Ford 550.:doh: I guess it's called keeping up with the Joneses

I'm with you on this one. I don't understand they haul a 8000lb truck and whatever a Kubota/rtv weighs and some tools with a semi and 53' vanline trailer. My friends boss hauls a 650 JD dozer with a 20k trailer and Ford 550.:doh: I guess it's called keeping up with the Joneses

Most of the 3.0 don't have windows so they king of need the enclosed trailer and they are surprising cheap. Most probably have less in them than your bosses open trailer. I've been looking at them simply bc a get tired of hauling mine through the rain and cleaning the bug guts off the truck all the time.

Back