Dragster length

JD - Do you have to go with subsonic ammo for it to be that quiet, or is that with conventional velocity rounds? It might be fun for taking out the coyotes that sometimes come on my property ;) Isn't the tax stamp for a suppressor pretty inexpensive? One of my AR's sometimes sounds just like a .22, but it is with a .22 conversion ;)

JD - Do you have to go with subsonic ammo for it to be that quiet, or is that with conventional velocity rounds? It might be fun for taking out the coyotes that sometimes come on my property ;) Isn't the tax stamp for a suppressor pretty inexpensive? One of my AR's sometimes sounds just like a .22, but it is with a .22 conversion ;)

With convential rounds my AR sounds like a .22, but it also a noise that someone in the area would stop and think but not really go running ya know...

The permit from the ATF is $250 plus the cost of the suppresor.

It is!!

Stressful is more like it, a top race build is very trying. The trailer, parts, hauler, and garage space is the easy part. Finding good help Is the hardest part of any build, you cant have just any bozzo working on your stuff between rounds.

I could write a book about what i've learned, but i'll keep it simple.......It's harder than you think!

I am just the help but have been lucky enough to be a part of a team and watch this first hand.

Not sure what all that weight does for how a dragster handles. If I were you I'd PM Scott Bentz (dieseldragster on this forum) and pick his brain. He'd probably have a pretty good idea of what wheelbase and suspension type to use with a Cummins.

Guys, my 2 cents.

Find a 240-300" car that was a old top alcohol car, or maybe a fuel car. Careful with Supercomp dragsters, as they are lighter weith and smaller tubing. We bent our first one. I vote no suspension. Too much work tuning turbos and converters, dont need another variable.

Run a glide / Gear vendor, T400, or a clutch and lenco. What is your budget vs. maintenance.

For full out speeds and power, LEnco. For simple, it is a converter tranny.

Remember one rule. What works in a truck may not work in a 2000 pound car.

Everyone calls me and says, "my 10 second 6000 pound truck should run 7's if I drop the drive train into a dragster. RIIIIGGGHHHT. Try it.

If I were to do it again, I would do a altered, a dragster, or some other non body car. Funny cars are a pain. Did that with a buddy with TAFC cars, and its always that dang body in the way.

Good luck.

Go 240 long with a swing arm style 2 shock dragster with a solid front end. just be sure when you building everything try and make it as user friendly as possible and you can go race by yourself and not even break a sweet.

Remember one rule. What works in a truck may not work in a 2000 pound car.

Everyone calls me and says, "my 10 second 6000 pound truck should run 7's if I drop the drive train into a dragster. RIIIIGGGHHHT. Try it.

Good luck.

Too true. Diesels do best when loaded HARD. My choice for a trans would be a Lenco/bruno with a lockup converter, just for the ability to spool the chargers on the converter then not loose all the energy through a non lockup coverter.

But what do I know my trucks best pass is a 13.5

Can you get a converter that will stall low enough for a Lenco?

not sure bruno's have lock up ability.....and there a ton of extra weight. There are better ways.

As long as you REALLY enjoy that kind of stuff go for it! Building something like that can be the biggest headache so be prepared
CompD Mobile Device

why would you want a low stall if you have lockup?

I was wondering how well it would work in our rpm limited engines. If the converter stalls at 5k rpm, would it put enough load on the chargers to spool them on the line? Also wouldn't it put a huge shock load when you lock up a converter that loose? Idk, I am interested in seeing how it would work. I would like to see how the guys running a clutch/Lenco set up stage, bring up the chargers and launch.

not sure bruno's have lock up ability.....and there a ton of extra weight. There are better ways.

There is currently ONE Bruno out there with lockup ability (custom built and in DirtyMax). For anyone interested, Brad has been willing to discuss details on how he did it. It works pretty dang slick, it is loose enough that I can get the chargers spooled but locks up solid.

Wade - are you running a clutch in your truck?

I was wondering how well it would work in our rpm limited engines. If the converter stalls at 5k rpm, would it put enough load on the chargers to spool them on the line? Also wouldn't it put a huge shock load when you lock up a converter that loose? Idk, I am interested in seeing how it would work. I would like to see how the guys running a clutch/Lenco set up stage, bring up the chargers and launch.

The lockup in DirtyMax comes on pretty firmly, but we have it coming in barely off the line (when we are hopefully still in the decent traction portion of the track, but already rolling).

From watching the guys with the clutch/Lenco (and talking to a few of them), it looks like they set a line-lock to hold the brakes (possibly tied to a switch to release the brakes when they release the clutch pedal), and start slipping the clutch and bringing the RPMs up to load the engine, trying to get to a desired boost level for launch. Once they launch, there seems to be a narrow window of how quickly they release the pedal, balancing between bogging the engine and spinning/shaking the tires.

There is currently ONE Bruno out there with lockup ability (custom built and in DirtyMax). For anyone interested, Brad has been willing to discuss details on how he did it. It works pretty dang slick, it is loose enough that I can get the chargers spooled but locks up solid.

Wade - are you running a clutch in your truck?

Yes a clutch.

The lockup in DirtyMax comes on pretty firmly, but we have it coming in barely off the line (when we are hopefully still in the decent traction portion of the track, but already rolling).

From watching the guys with the clutch/Lenco (and talking to a few of them), it looks like they set a line-lock to hold the brakes (possibly tied to a switch to release the brakes when they release the clutch pedal), and start slipping the clutch and bringing the RPMs up to load the engine, trying to get to a desired boost level for launch. Once they launch, there seems to be a narrow window of how quickly they release the pedal, balancing between bogging the engine and spinning/shaking the tires.

i could never get that to work, i just floor it on the two step and hope it makes 8 lbs of boost, and drop the clutch and go......wish i could get it to build more boost.

after i drop the clutch, @ 4100 it brings the engine down to 2000rpm, and takes about .700 to recover and go, the bog is the biggest issue for me.

My roadster is easy to run, drive to the starting line and back to the trailer 8.30's and not pushing it. no help needed. its not a lot of work if you do it right.

Geez, there has got to be an easier way to stage a turbo car with a clutch/Lenco set up. What about a pinion mounted hand brake? I wonder if you could build one that'll hold strong enough to spool while staging?

Geez, there has got to be an easier way to stage a turbo car with a clutch/Lenco set up. What about a pinion mounted hand brake? I wonder if you could build one that'll hold strong enough to spool while staging?

With a real drag clutch you cant do that with out over heating the clutch.... you just slip the rest of the way down track.

Now a sled pulling clutch like what darren and schieds use, is a different approach and works for them, but i dont make the TQ they do @ 70-100+ psi of boost at launch, so i couldent get that to work eather.

The clutch cars in a diesel will never be as consistent as a convertor car. Clutch car will be faster. so there is good and bad with both

Yeah, I see what you mean. Dang i really like the idea of having Lenco, or similar tranny in the race truck.

Back