Dropped Valve seat??????

jktcummins

24v GOD!!!! HAHAHA
Yesterday i fired my truck up to pull out from a trailer. It started clacking throught the exhaust. Pulled in up to the shop and pulled the injectors out and made a tool to stick back in the hole to push air into the cylinder. I back the rocker arms off so that both valves would be closed. On number 4 it blows air out the pyro hole.

The only reason i am thinking its the valve seats is because when i pulled my head for the head gasket and headwork i noticed it had the pressed in seats.

Has anyone had any problems like this and if so what do you to do fix it???? I have heard about people putting oversized seats in. Anyway any advise???

a friend of mind had the same thing happen..dropped a seat...got a new motor under Warranty ....it made a mess !!!!

gotta be the 02. 12v's are induction hardened seats. I was under the impression the 2nd gen 24v's were the same way. hear about a lot of early 3rd gens dropping seats, but this ould be the first 2nd gen I've heard of

IIRC the 98.5-2000 had the induction hardened seats. I know my 99 does.

The 02 was the only year of the 2nd gens to have the pressed in valve seats.

Really? Hmm. I was told wrong then. If that's the case then now you've got me worried about mine considering how hot I get my motor.

BgBlDodge said:
Really? Hmm. I was told wrong then. If that's the case then now you've got me worried about mine considering how hot I get my motor.

i am 98% sure on that....IIRC when i had my head off it had pressed in seats

my buddy that dropped a seat his was an 02.

I ordered mine in Jan of 2000 and got it in April 2000 and it's a 2001 truck....go figure LOL

I don't remember when mine was made but it musta been in 01 because I have rear disks which makes it a 01.5. All my buddy's that dropped seats were 02's.

Graphic Man said:
i am 98% sure on that....IIRC when i had my head off it had pressed in seats

my buddy that dropped a seat his was an 02.

I ordered mine in Jan of 2000 and got it in April 2000 and it's a 2001 truck....go figure LOL

Major wiring change in march of 2000, enough that made it a new model year.

BgBlDodge said:
I don't remember when mine was made but it musta been in 01 because I have rear disks which makes it a 01.5. All my buddy's that dropped seats were 02's.

you could be right then.....i though for sure mine had pressed in seats......but i could been wrong ....it's happened many time before :hehe:

Its on my 02. Just pulled the head off today. And the number 4 back exhaust valve has a seat riding on the valve. NO peases broke off just came out. However it touched the piston and left a nasty little mark on the piston.

What has everyone done to fix this. I really need some help here.

jktcummins said:
Its on my 02. Just pulled the head off today. And the number 4 back exhaust valve has a seat riding on the valve. NO peases broke off just came out. However it touched the piston and left a nasty little mark on the piston.

What has everyone done to fix this. I really need some help here.

put a new piston in it or do the poor mans way, polish it out, so it dont get hot spots. i sent a compress or wheel through the motor at about 3700 rpm and 50+ pounds of boost, it made for some nicely peppered pistons. polished them out and it seems to be running fine

I think i am just going to polish the sucker out and spend the money on getting oversized seats and a different turbo. Maybe i can cool this beast down a little.

Head is sent off. I will let everyone know how it goes. Just in case someone else needs the same thing.

Hey Forrest
Who does Wes use for his head work. My head is going to dallas friday. Just wondering if its the same person.

I have a buddie that dropped a valve seat on a 00 6spd HO and it nuked his motor, wasn't a pritty sight (i only saw pictures though).
My 01 SO auto doesn't have the pressed in seats either, I'm pritty sure it's an HO thing.

Back