Dropped Valve seat??????

i will be pulling my head again in a month or so.....i will report back if it does have pressed in seats.....i am pretty sure it does but not 100%......now it has me thinking

Scott

It was either an 01 or 02 5spd but one way or another it was an SO truck.

Well i bet it was just who ever was putting the head together as to what has them. I was told by the dodge dealer that mine didnt have pressed in seats but i can assure you i am 100% positive that i have them.

Rob_Bones said:
I have a buddie that dropped a valve seat on a 00 6spd HO and it nuked his motor, wasn't a pritty sight (i only saw pictures though).
My 01 SO auto doesn't have the pressed in seats either, I'm pritty sure it's an HO thing.

Matt's truck is an '01. HO's had press in valve seats but so did the late SO's.

-Tom

Last edited:
I work at the valve seat supplier to cummins.....

Years '01 and '02 are transition years between powdered metal Valve seats and an iron based alloy seat. The PM seats have known isues with a drop out problem especilly in high heat engines! The best parts for high HP valve train is in the '05 engines which used a Cobalt based alloy insert and Inconel valve material. So if you are rebuilding have them order inserts and valves for an '05 engine.

Last edited:
KC8VEY said:

Years '01 and '02 are transition years between powdered metal Valve seats and an iron based alloy seat. The PM seats have known isues with a drop out problem especilly in high heat engines! The best parts for high HP valve train is in the '05 engines which used a Cobalt based alloy insert and Inconel valve material. So if you are rebuilding have them order inserts and valves for an '05 engine.
thanks,
If a engine has 80k or more on the clock with no valve seat issues, would you expect it to be ok?

KC8VEY said:

good info...Thanks!!

Had a 05 (6-speed) in the shop 2 weeks ago with 2 dropped valve seats.

man you guys have me worried i can get all my machine work done cheap where i used to work i might pull the head and have 05 valves and inserts put in and have it fire ringed its got 98k so if it does drop one it better do it soon

01PPUMP said:
Had a 05 (6-speed) in the shop 2 weeks ago with 2 dropped valve seats.

Stock engine or modded?

There are many, many causes of Valve Seat drop...High Combustion temps from fueling, High Intake Air temps, cracks in the bridge are between the intake and exhause seats, Cracked valve seats inserts, are just a few.

Material wise the '05 have the highest cost/best high temp wear resistant material available. Because of cost reductions, these materials were replaced with other alloys which are much cheaper to produce.

Had Edge EZ installed and pyro. I am sure it was do to high combustion
temps. but of course the customer said it was never above 1100dg.

I didnt know you could even get a ez to fuel enought to get high egt??????

05's run much hotter than earlier years while stock.... that's the reason for the upgraded valves and such. EZ plus some heavy towing and I'm sure he saw some heat.

So maybe a person needs to look for a early head to hot rod? I'm guessing induction hardened seats crack like the 12 valve when they get hot and the pressed seats fall out! Maybe the early head with the late valves in them. Will this work as far as installed hieght and steam diameter?

I'm gonna have adamantium welded in to my head. Never worry about cracking or falling out again. LOL

Back