Duramax Bottom up build

noobbuilder

So iam looking for people opinions on the best duramax block to base my build on . Iam thinking of taking a bare duramax block and building it up to huge numbers with all performance parts to drop in a late 60s early 70s chevelle. Based on block strength and highest quality replacement parts which of the duramax's would be the best to start with/

As far as the blocks and cranks are concerned they are all the same strength wise. Are you doing a full blown build? Billet rods, forged pistons, the whole 9 yards? Please, share more about the build and the huge numbers you want out of it

Last edited:
I am wanting ATLEAST 1000 horse haha but yeah gonna go full blown build. I was always wanting to get a big gasser for a chevelle to make big numbers but everyone has a big gasser. Then i decided to get a duramax out of a wrecked pickup but again there are lots of diesel chevelles i want something different. So, now all i need to do is decide on a block then find one and start spending money.

Last edited:
How fast do you want to go? A Chevelle is 1/2 the weight of a truck and you don't need the fancy Big $$$ parts!

How many Chevelle's make "lots of Diesel Chevelles"?

Last edited:
I am wanting ATLEAST 1000 horse haha but yeah gonna go full blown build. I was always wanting to get a big gasser for a chevelle to make big numbers but everyone has a big gasser. Then i decided to get a duramax out of a wrecked pickup but again there are lots of diesel chevelles i want something different. So, now all i need to do is decide on a block then find one and start spending money.

If your looking for parts for your build check us out. We have aftermarket cams, and lifters, and billet main caps. We are also working on steel rocker arms, adjustable timing gear, billet front cover and more.

I know I've seen one running around SE pa, but haven't seen it in a year or so.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but have you looked into the cost of building a huge hp duramax vs the cost of building a stout big block? You need to be prepared to put $40k+ into the motor and drivetrain to be somewhat reliable.

I don't want to sound like an asshole either, but if you have to ask these questions, a full blown build may be a tad over your head.

Have you ever felt what a 600rwhp 7,000lb truck feels like at WOT? Much less a car that weighs half as much?

I don't want to sound like an asshole either, but if you have to ask these questions, a full blown build may be a tad over your head.

Have you ever felt what a 600rwhp 7,000lb truck feels like at WOT? Much less a car that weighs half as much?[/QUOTE]

Check out the thread he posted the other day and look at my last comment. Great minds think alike lol

I have found about 10 diesel chevelles on youtube so it is safe to assume there is more out there. Also i have felt 700+horse in a pickup it was ok haha. I know it is going to be expensive that is why i want to start with the strongest block so iam not just spending a huge amount of money one less than the strongest base component. And also a full blown build is going to be easier than just upgrading stuff on a stock motor.

I bet 7 out of 10 of those Chevelles are the one we run lol, it's had several paint/primer schemes. Good luck with your build, we've been 9.7 @ 142mph @ 4530lbs on just Rods and standard ARP head studs for extra strength over stock... If your going to street drive it, have fun finding a diff that will live on the street and be track worthy @ 1k.

Curious as to what the 700hp truck had for mods?

Last edited:
Something tells me it was a Duramax 360hp + ppe 250hp + intake 25hp + exhaust 50hp and call it 700.

I have found about 10 diesel chevelles on youtube so it is safe to assume there is more out there. Also i have felt 700+horse in a pickup it was ok haha. I know it is going to be expensive that is why i want to start with the strongest block so iam not just spending a huge amount of money one less than the strongest base component. And also a full blown build is going to be easier than just upgrading stuff on a stock motor.

All I can say is there's no help for you. Might want to give someone that knows how to build a Dmax a call because the block should not be the biggest worry you have, when it comes to rods and pistons then you can start nit picking and but monotherms and billet rods

Something tells me it was a Duramax 360hp + ppe 250hp + intake 25hp + exhaust 50hp and call it 700.

Exactly.

To the OP, if you plan on 1000+ hp, will that be on the street? Because that's a mighty expensive motor if your going to DD it at 1000 hp...

Nah got ppe stickers and afe stickers equals 700hp :lolly:

get any block

do .020-.040 over forged pistons or cast fingers makes good pistons
carrillo rods or tts
port heads mildly
get a mild cam
gridle
625 studs
main studs
100% over injectors
dual stock pumps will work fine
66/80 twins or 71/96 twins