Duramax questions.

RonA

While I'm waiting for parts, I've been thinking about having a Duramax motor built to put into a 60's vintage car. Is there better parts availability for the Duramax(rods, valve train components, and expecially a stand alone controller)? Or is a stand alone for the electronics on the distant horizon like the Cummins?

I hate you Ron... I wish I could just casually decide to put together a Dmax swap :(

you don't need a stand alone with the Dmax... you just need a slimmed down wiring harness and a custom tune to get rid of all the unecessary chassis stuff... remember, with a Dmax, you have EFI live... think of it as an "open source" OS, vs a proprietary one...

I looked into all this when I first got my fairmont... a Dmax swap was my original plan. Then I got laid off :(

oh yeah, anything you want from mild to wild as far as the bottom end, valvetrain, etc. is avail

anyone wanna sponsor me on a dmax build? :D

I hate you Ron... I wish I could just casually decide to put together a Dmax swap :(

you don't need a stand alone with the Dmax... you just need a slimmed down wiring harness and a custom tune to get rid of all the unecessary chassis stuff... remember, with a Dmax, you have EFI live... think of it as an "open source" OS, vs a proprietary one...

I looked into all this when I first got my fairmont... a Dmax swap was my original plan. Then I got laid off :(

I was told the 6.7 electronics swap was going to be a piece of cake too and it had to be turned into a p-pump conversion. Is there a shop somewhere that will actually sell the wireing harness and programming to do this, or is this in theory.
Forrest. I saved and planned most of last year for the 6.7 and it is still on hold for parts. I wouldn't want the Duramax in a pickup, but it seems perfect for a lighter vehicle.

I think they actually modify yours, but I could be wrong

Pm if you'd like an alternate source for modifying the harness. It'll save you considerable $$. ;)

You can also pick Johnboy's brain or tony burkhardt as both have openly been involved in found Dmax repowers.

Note, get a fully dressed engine (all wiring, computers, accesories, etc) along with the/a throttle pedal/sensor setup from a Dmax truck. If you're gonna run a Allison, get it all together with the engine.

Good luck. What kind of car you thinking bout?!?!

Wow! That was a different experience. I called PPE and asked about the wiring harness. He explained it. He then said there may be a few issues that would come up, but they would re-write the programming to take care of it. Then he gave me a list of the motor models in order of preferrence. I didn't have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, and not once did he say,"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you." I like this already.

The Cummins runs 1700 -2000rpm on the road and 3500at the end of a 1/4 mile run. Does the Duramax rev a bit higher, or does it like to stay in the same range.(3500 is about 130 on my truck).

Wow! That was a different experience. I called PPE and asked about the wiring harness. He explained it. He then said there may be a few issues that would come up, but they would re-write the programming to take care of it. Then he gave me a list of the motor models in order of preferrence. I didn't have to sign a non-disclosure agreement, and not once did he say,"If I tell you, I'll have to kill you." I like this already.

the Duramax world is a different world for sure, but it's not a bad one by any means!!!

I was told the 6.7 electronics swap was going to be a piece of cake too and it had to be turned into a p-pump conversion. Is there a shop somewhere that will actually sell the wireing harness and programming to do this, or is this in theory.
Forrest. I saved and planned most of last year for the 6.7 and it is still on hold for parts. I wouldn't want the Duramax in a pickup, but it seems perfect for a lighter vehicle.

IMO the duramax is just as good in a pickup as it would be in a lighter counterpart. To me it sounds like your bashing the duramax on one hand but on the other hand you want one.:doh: enlighten me please im confused here?

I think he's saying he wouldn't want one in a pickup when he could just go buy a truck with a Cummins in it and he's been dealing with the Cummins for years.

but for a light car, the Duramax would be great because it'll actually fit and you don't need a low RPM/high torque engine in a lighter vehicle

IMO the duramax is just as good in a pickup as it would be in a lighter counterpart. To me it sounds like your bashing the duramax on one hand but on the other hand you want one.:doh: enlighten me please im confused here?
No bash from me. Either works fine in a pickup. But I wouldn't swap a Duramax into my Dodge because I wouldn't gain much from it. The slow revving, hoe handle long Cummins is a poor fit into a smaller vehicle whereas the Duramax can go into a pickup or a full sized car with ease.

Back