Duramax questions.

Pm if you'd like an alternate source for modifying the harness. It'll save you considerable $$. ;)

You can also pick Johnboy's brain or tony burkhardt as both have openly been involved in found Dmax repowers.

Note, get a fully dressed engine (all wiring, computers, accesories, etc) along with the/a throttle pedal/sensor setup from a Dmax truck. If you're gonna run a Allison, get it all together with the engine.

Good luck. What kind of car you thinking bout?!?!

I know nothing!:hehe:

PM me your number Ron. I can talk to about what it really takes. Depending on what you want to do there are some good and bad options.

Sounds like a fun project. One great thing about the dmax is you can put it into a lighter chassis and have to do less frame strengthing because you can tune around the torque more than with the cummins. There are going to be some seriously quick light weight dmax's coming soon. Acouple of interesting posts by Comp 461 and Stock 600 over on the year of the dmax thread that Timbeaux started that relate to dmax's in light weight frames.

My 6.7 project is going to be stalled till late fall at least, so I've been looking for engine/tranny combo's for sale and haven't been seeing much except the usual Ebay stuff($8k buy it now motor only). Anyone know of some good places to look for Dmax stuff?

JohnBoy is the man on tuning; the NX Mustang runs hard and gets great fuel Economy. I have a guy building them if you want, and I have a source for new connectors and plugs. He built the one form the Mustang, the Z28 , a few others and my dragster. It’s totally stand alone, has minimal wiring, no body harness.
There are several more engines programs in the works at KPE, with a project for lot of Airboat motors going to the sand box, and a few turnkey muscle cars as well.
Look at the many threads about the NX Mustang to see it all

I made an offer on a car for the Dmax swap. I figured I'd find a car first then look for the engine. I'm hoping to get the final word by thursday. Old iron isn't as cheap as it was when I was in college.

I hate you Ron... I wish I could just casually decide to put together a Dmax swap :(

you don't need a stand alone with the Dmax... you just need a slimmed down wiring harness and a custom tune to get rid of all the unecessary chassis stuff... remember, with a Dmax, you have EFI live... think of it as an "open source" OS, vs a proprietary one...

I looked into all this when I first got my fairmont... a Dmax swap was my original plan. Then I got laid off :(

Im with forest On the vintage D max swap! Forest and i where talking about that last fridat night at baytown.

My 6.7 project is going to be stalled till late fall at least, so I've been looking for engine/tranny combo's for sale and haven't been seeing much except the usual Ebay stuff($8k buy it now motor only). Anyone know of some good places to look for Dmax stuff?

I don't know if your against using an engine from a salvage yard, look on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Check with G&J in Billings too. Brad is a great guy and can usually come up with what you need. They own and race DirtyMax. His number is 1-800-813-6366 or 406-248-6366

I'm still waiting to hear back on my Camaro offer. Would prefer a Chevelle but I'll see what happens with this deal.

Dmax engines can get pretty pricy pretty quick, but it can be done. I talked to this guy up at the Jefferson State nats last year in Redding, he's running mid 11's on a bone stock motor with a TH400 and 12 bolt, and put the whole thing together (including the cost of the car) for about 20K. He's actually out of Sacramento, so not so far from you Ron.

Body was straight, just waiting on paint....

1002dp_04+jefferson_state_diesel_nationals+chevy_chevelle.jpg

One last question if i may. Not wanting to start a bash session, but how many companies are making good injecters for a Dmax in the 700hp range with a bit of porting, cam, and good turbo setup?

stock cam heads are good to ~800rwhp. with head studs. cam and heads just make 800 easier
will need rods.. cast pistons are at their limit there though seing that it such a light chassis might get buy with it.

if planing on spining past 3500 alot valve spring upgrade would be a good idea

need either big single ore twins for ait and must have dual fuelers.

stock/75-80 pending engine 64/75 64/80 64/82 66/80 66/88 66/91

gt4202/s480 is a common big charger to twin stocker turbo

My main concern is injectors. I am trying out a new set in my Dodge this weekend and if they do not work out I am going to scrap my 6.7 project and go to the Duramax. Injectors are the single biggest problem for me and i want to make sure of what's available before I try a different engine.

My main concern is injectors. I am trying out a new set in my Dodge this weekend and if they do not work out I am going to scrap my 6.7 project and go to the Duramax. Injectors are the single biggest problem for me and i want to make sure of what's available before I try a different engine.

You have a PM Ron.:Cheer:

I've had good luck with DDPs in my truck. 60 overs and my truck put down 883rwhp and I only hit 60lbs of boost. GT4202R to an II phat bastard turbo combination. Truck hits 75lbs on the track pretty easy. I'd just get the injectors balanced. Guy @ Socal Diesel did mine. he tests them at full flow rates too.

Back