Duramax Tuner quoted me $10k to do twins, tranny and tuning

I would probably go with BT diesel works over mass diesel for a tranny. Just my $.02 Big dipper seems to be the end all be all of allison builders on the east coast.

And what are you going with for a twin kit? S475 over stock? or complete twins?

Yes I want to do a S475 over stock so I still have low end. Plus I dont have the cash to do complete twins. Im looking for contact info for BT diesel rite now. I have heard big dipper all over this forum so he must be good.

I have been looking into the SDP s475 kit. But will a allseason y bridge handle the boost of a twin kit do yall think.

Last edited:
Yes I want to do a S475 over stock so I still have low end. Plus I dont have the cash to do complete twins. Im looking for contact info for BT diesel rite now. I have heard big dipper all over this forum so he must be good.

I have been looking into the SDP s475 kit. But will a allseason y bridge handle the boost of a twin kit do yall think.

Im sure it would handle the boost, i think its alot of dollars for a part you will probably never be taking avantage of.

Im sure it would handle the boost, i think its alot of dollars for a part you will probably never be taking avantage of.

Well actually I'm really happy I did not order it. The SDP kit looks like it may have a y bridge in it. I have to call ATP again and ask. It looks like it does in the pictures though. Is the stock bridge sufficient for after market twin turbos ?

If you're in the Rockford IL area give us a call sometime. We build all our Allison's in house and we can go over a few different options for twins and tuning.

Well actually I'm really happy I did not order it. The SDP kit looks like it may have a y bridge in it. I have to call ATP again and ask. It looks like it does in the pictures though. Is the stock bridge sufficient for after market twin turbos ?

I think if your going to run an s475 over stock, without head studs, on stock internals and injectors at a power level that will be relatively safe.....a high dollar Y bridge will not be worth the money.

Whats your goal with this truck and what made you decide you want compounds?

I dont mean to be rude, however i wonder if you are overloaded with an abundance of choices and maybe looking for more than you need/ actually want.

10k, for a built trans and compounds, installed and tuned? Where do I sign up?

Seems pretty fair to me, you're roughly 8k+/- in parts (the trans and compounds) alone

I think if your going to run an s475 over stock, without head studs, on stock internals and injectors at a power level that will be relatively safe.....a high dollar Y bridge will not be worth the money.

Whats your goal with this truck and what made you decide you want compounds?

I dont mean to be rude, however i wonder if you are overloaded with an abundance of choices and maybe looking for more than you need/ actually want.

I really only want 600 to the wheels at most. I'm not wanting anything crazy. I was looking at the fleece cheetah 71 but I was told that at 600 my egt's would be outrageous with that charger.

BigDipper wil get you twins, install them, have it tuned, and by far build the best trans for you. Give him a call- i can guarantee that you won't find better work anywhere.

Good luck- Steven

I don't know if I'd let old pink slippers tune my truck ever again let alone install parts on it. Id look real hard at big dipper though.

I don't know if I'd let old pink slippers tune my truck ever again let alone install parts on it. Id look real hard at big dipper though.

Who are you referring to here lol, I missed something. Do you guys think that the fleece cheetah 71.5 would be able to do 600 on occasion. I would have it tuned for 400+/- for dd.

Who are you referring to here lol, I missed something. Do you guys think that the fleece cheetah 71.5 would be able to do 600 on occasion. I would have it tuned for 400+/- for dd.

400rwh is easily obtainable for an lbz, without a built tranny, or even a lift pump. Add built tranny and a lift pump and you can push about 525 Rwh. Which in my honest opinion is borderline useless on the street without some wide rubber.

A Garrett powermax stage 2 should support 600 at the rear wheels just fine.

A Garrett powermax stage 2 should support 600 at the rear wheels just fine.

I have looked at the power 2 but if I'm gunna keep a single I will go with a cheetah, I am really concered with egt's though.

I have looked at the power 2 but if I'm gunna keep a single I will go with a cheetah, I am really concered with egt's though.

Whats the concern with EGTs? Unless your going to have a healthy sized trailer behind you on regular basis i really wouldn't be worried. A powermax 2 will most likely be cheaper than a cheetah and do what you want.

Isnt a powermax just a 4094 variable or am i mistaken?

The difference is 68mm vs 71mm comp wheel. The 68 wheel is Garrett's latest technology, the 71 wheel is old technology. They both flow within a few lb/min of each other so if anything the 71 will have more lag and a wee bit more top end flow whereas the 68 will come on quicker and fall off on top end flow. If your going for top end flow you may as well forget vgt chargers and get yourself an S400 based unit. The vgt chargers run into drive pressure issues when pushed hard.

Last edited:
The difference is 68mm vs 71mm comp wheel. The 68 wheel is Garrett's latest technology, the 71 wheel is old technology. They both flow within a few lb/min of each other so if anything the 71 will have more lag and a wee bit more top end flow whereas the 68 will come on quicker and fall off on top end flow. If your going for top end flow you may as well forget vgt chargers and get yourself an S400 based unit. The vgt chargers run into drive pressure issues when pushed hard.

But if I get an s400 based charger won't it spool like chit. I think my best bet is going to be a s475 over stock. The reason being that from time to time I do pull trailers and I do live in the hills.

Gotcha

But if I get an s400 based charger won't it spool like chit. I think my best bet is going to be a s475 over stock. The reason being that from time to time I do pull trailers and I do live in the hills.

Its your money, spend it how ya like. Im just suggesting that there may be a more economical way to meet your needs.

If you're after 600hp for racing and 450-500 for towing a garrett stage 2 will be perfect. To run twins and tow with 600 hp you're going to need head studs, connecting rods and other internal engine work.

Back