ECM Programmers ?? and Secret Squirrel Chit

That's impressive Jory!

Thank you, sir. I just had the bytes swapped on drive pressure. It works now. Don't check one tiny box and it thinks it head is its ass and its ass is its head. LOL

The man with the 'stache is a fart smeller!

True dat. Especially when I fart in church and have to set in my own pew.

The only three things the H&S displays that I haven't programmed are injector fuel qty, timing, and tranny line pressure. I know how to get the first two, but I'll have to try to get some leads on where the line pressure data is.

Last edited:
Isn't there a port on some trans to check line pressure? Some of the new trucks may do it electronically tho.

Isn't there a port on some trans to check line pressure? Some of the new trucks may do it electronically tho.

There might be a port to test pressure, but that info is displayed on the h&s therefore it is coming out of the obdii port already. I just need to figure out which bytes of which packet it is located.

Just got four more here to work in the last night or so.

Transmission Line Pressure (finally got it. Cart was before the horse...or swap bytes. LOL)
Inj Timing
Inj Fuel Qty (units are mm3. Is this per cylinder or per rail? Anyone know?)
Inj Pulse Width (Assuming units are microsecond? Anyone know?)

I have to take the TC Lockup Indication off the "complete" list. It is being a little biddy. I can't seem to zero in on which bit/byte is toggled. I've done some can capture but need more work on this one. It shows lock but only for 6th gear.

The following image is simulated data...not real life so nothing will match.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
So now that I've got all valid data, it was time to do an experiment which consisted of just laying the pedal on the floor for half a mile this morning. LOL

I am using external sensors to read boost and drive pressure since I didn't have the ability to read it from the ECM at first. Now that I have both, time to compare. My externals are set up to update the display every 20ms (50 times a second)....the maximum speed the hardware can convert analog data to CAN messages and transmit it. Comparing the OEM boost and drive pressures from the ECM via the OBDII port and my external sensors updating every 20ms, I can now see that the OEM sensors have valid data approximately 20 data points before my external sensors. I'm logging every 20ms (the max I can). If picking 28 psi in the boost data, the OEM sensor gets to 28 psi .5 seconds (25 data points) sooner. I think I'll get rid of my external sensors and extra wiring. I know one of the pressure sensors will be placed on the the fuel line since I don't have a lift pump fuel pressure yet. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture3.jpg
    Capture3.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
So, on a 2009 truck like mine, with a mild tune from and H&S fully deleted, what are you guys seeing for EGT's normally? This seems way low to me. The only time I've crossed 1200F is with a full bore WOT drag at 110 mph. Most of the time it won't even cross 950F on level 3 or 4 when I get on it pretty good.

Am I just used to my 2002 and 100hp injectors trying to cross 1400F and this VGT just that much better? What gives?

at what point in time? just wot or? and in all honesty i would ask the guys running similar set ups to yours. 1550* at WOT with the previous set up.

It just seems way low. I'll have to ask around. When I've flogged it a few times and the max EGT says 927 I just fail to believe that. I'm just wondering if I need to try to calibrate it a tad and offset it. Problem is.....how to I know what is right and wrong. I guess I could drill another hole in the block-off plate and use an external probe. That isn't as bad as another hole in a manifold I guess.

Jory, you're gonna be the VP Data Master! Now figure all this out and set me up with it all!! Lol

Hey, great project. Youre doing this on an 09 with the 6.7 right?
I hope its not too forward, but have you been able to get anything other than temp out of the diagnostic port? do you have any of that data recorded? have you seen PGN FFC5 (65477)?

I was hoping to piggyback off of some of that data for a project of my own. :cool:

Hey, great project. Youre doing this on an 09 with the 6.7 right?
I hope its not too forward, but have you been able to get anything other than temp out of the diagnostic port? do you have any of that data recorded? have you seen PGN FFC5 (65477)?

I was hoping to piggyback off of some of that data for a project of my own. :cool:

I've got every bit of data from the diag port. Yes, 2009, 6.7L.

Intake Air Temp
RPM
MAF
APPS%
Load %
Current Gear
TC Lockup
Coolant Temp
Headlamp Status (Dims the display automatically when lights are turned on)
H&S Power Level
Trans Temp
Rail Pressure (ICP)
OEM Boost Sensor
OEM Drive Sensor
Speed
ECM Voltage

What parameter is PGN FFC5 (65477)? I've got the J1939 Jan2008 document. I don't find that parameter anywhere? What is it?

FFC5 is the vgt vane position PGN broadcast by the turbo. This is one of the propriety Dodge PGNs. If you tap into the ecm bus at the turbo, you should see this broadcast every 25ms. What I was hoping for was the rest of the information the turbo sees.

Actually, I may have my terminology work here. I'm not sure what bus the should be called. It is a j1939 spec bus though.

Back