ED 63mm or twins 2nd Gen

SuperDave4x4

popcorn playa
My 64mm sucks to drive and tow with in Louisiana with the high humidity and heat. The truck is a daily driver and I tow a boat on the weekends. No drag racing, but do hot rod around town on the occasion. With that being said I want something that spools better and tows better than my 64.

Talked with Chris about some twins a while back and am still considering this option, but wanted to see what kind of results people were getting with their Billet 63/68 on a 2ND GEN 24v.

If I get a chance to get new injectors they will be a 175 MAYBE a 200 if I can keep the tail pipe relatively clean while towing. I want to stay in the 500-550hp range.

Any feed back on the E.D. Billet 63/68 or some E.D. twins or reccomend me a quick spooling set of twins would be great.

Thanks

I drove in a truck with an ED 63 a while back and it was ok, but not THAT much better than a stock 63 with a .91.... the best would be a 63/68 with the .84 gated housing.

Or a FMW62/68/.84 that comes box stock with the desirable .84 housing. (I run one.... killer charger, ZERO lag)

small twins....

Looked at Carl's stuff, but don't think the mounting brackets and hotpipe are up to par.

Talked with BD about their R700 with the 71mm primary and they acted like I didn't have enough fuel to run them properly. :bang

Yup. Looked at their piping, just trying to get recommendations/experiences on what turbo(s) to run that will fit my driving style.

I always liked the Mach 5/ Super B Special combo, but that was in a hand shaker so a little different than your app. I would think you'd do well with a 62/475 setup, but honestly an hx40/ht3b would suit your power levels fine and can be had pretty cheap used on the forums, and spools lightning quick.

Looked at Carl's stuff, but don't think the mounting brackets and hotpipe are up to par.

I actually thought the same, till I installed them. Once everything is in place, its sturdy as a rockI and doesn't budge. I sprayed everything in VHT 2000* header paint and hen wrapped the hot pipe. Turbos spool instantly and even though the Hot-pipe is made out of 1/16" thick pipe(with a this layer of exhaust wrap) it doesn't allow the heat to escape.

I always liked the Mach 5/ Super B Special combo, but that was in a hand shaker so a little different than your app. I would think you'd do well with a 62/475 setup, but honestly an hx40/ht3b would suit your power levels fine and can be had pretty cheap used on the forums, and spools lightning quick.

Yeah, that 64 is probably much enjoyable behind a manual. I'd like to stick with a s300/s400 setup if I go twins.

I actually thought the same, till I installed them. Once everything is in place, its sturdy as a rockI and doesn't budge. I sprayed everything in VHT 2000* header paint and hen wrapped the hot pipe. Turbos spool instantly and even though the Hot-pipe is made out of 1/16" thick pipe(with a this layer of exhaust wrap) it doesn't allow the heat to escape.

1/16"? is that just exhaust pipe?

Talked with BD about their R700 with the 71mm primary and they acted like I didn't have enough fuel to run them properly. :bang

I missed the word "Carl" anywhere in my post. You wanna tow and drag race and jackass around with complete disregard to smoke and egt, and make 500 hp, go with small twins. :Cheer:

I achieved the results you are looking for, smokeless, with a hx35/S475 combo and some good 7x.010s, on the cheap.

Last edited:
62/65/14 475 combo would be tits...... probably a set of 7x.012"s or 7x.011"s..... probably be a 600hp truck too..... or close

I missed the word "Carl" anywhere in my post. You wanna tow and drag race and jackass around with complete disregard to smoke and egt, and make 500 hp, go with small twins. :Cheer:

I achieved the results you are looking for, smokeless, with a hx35/S475 combo and some good 7x.010s, on the cheap.

Who'd you get your twins piping kit from?

Pretty sure I said I wasn't drag racing and usually smokless means I'm not trying to be a jackass on the street. :what:

Who'd you get your twins piping kit from?

Pretty sure I said I wasn't drag racing and usually smokless means I'm not trying to be a jackass on the street. :what:

Never mind, I just looked on my work email and found where "crazy carl" told me about you having his kit.

Edit. He didnt say waht size s475 you were running, which one is it? If you have similar setup as to whay I'm looking for then why did you speak up to begin with?

Last edited:
Look at the turbine/hot side of the charger. Being a VP stay with the smaller wheel.

Never mind, I just looked on my work email and found where "crazy carl" told me about you having his kit.

Edit. He didnt say waht size s475 you were running, which one is it? If you have similar setup as to whay I'm looking for then why did you speak up to begin with?

OK, I'm not trying to get off on the wrong foot with you. First off I have Carl's piping yes. I'm happy with some of it, and some of it had to have welds repaired. At the time, Carl was the only person I talked to with a readily available hx35/s400 kit.

I Run a 75/96/1.32. Poor choice but it was cheapest and I'm making it work for the time being. With VCO 7x.010s I dynoed 500/1000 with a TST comp on level 4. Egts peaked at 1000-1100, and that's the tune I towed with, with practically zero smoke. I didn't run it all out on the dyno because I was 4 hours from home with an untested setup.

It now has much larger injectors, runs a ton better but not as clean. Still really clean for injector size (big thanks Weston!). I still tow up to 10k (biggest trailer I have), daily drive it, and drag race and play around. It does all of that very well for the cash I have tied up in it.

Towing with 3.55s at 75-80 I see 800-900 degrees, unloaded 600. Never goes over 1300 period. I hate power guestimations but I guess it'll knock on 600 if I push it. I took it to the track and ran a 14.5@102 with no electronics, sandbagging on the launch because its a open diff, 2wd, manual and sucks on the track.

I wish I had a 75/83/1.10

I'm in LA too if you didn't catch it, and willing to bring it to you and let you try it out.

I'm glad I didn't go with a big single to get to this power range, which is still nothing to write home about.

Josh.

Also, Ronnie, thanks for all your help when I need it bud!

Last edited:
Im at 480/960 on a single 62/68 with a stock lift pump... I dont see why anyone would go through the hassle of twins for power easily acheivable from a nice single.

Just my 2 cents

I drove in a truck with an ED 63 a while back and it was ok, but not THAT much better than a stock 63 with a .91.... the best would be a 63/68 with the .84 gated housing.

Or a FMW62/68/.84 that comes box stock with the desirable .84 housing. (I run one.... killer charger, ZERO lag)

Zero lag may be a little overstated....but a nice charger.

OK, I'm not trying to get off on the wrong foot with you. First off I have Carl's piping yes. I'm happy with some of it, and some of it had to have welds repaired. At the time, Carl was the only person I talked to with a readily available hx35/s400 kit.

I Run a 75/96/1.32. Poor choice but it was cheapest and I'm making it work for the time being. With VCO 7x.010s I dynoed 500/1000 with a TST comp on level 4. Egts peaked at 1000-1100, and that's the tune I towed with, with practically zero smoke. I didn't run it all out on the dyno because I was 4 hours from home with an untested setup.

It now has much larger injectors, runs a ton better but not as clean. Still really clean for injector size (big thanks Weston!). I still tow up to 10k (biggest trailer I have), daily drive it, and drag race and play around. It does all of that very well for the cash I have tied up in it.

Towing with 3.55s at 75-80 I see 800-900 degrees, unloaded 600. Never goes over 1300 period. I hate power guestimations but I guess it'll knock on 600 if I push it. I took it to the track and ran a 14.5@102 with no electronics, sandbagging on the launch because its a open diff, 2wd, manual and sucks on the track.

I wish I had a 75/83/1.10

I'm in LA too if you didn't catch it, and willing to bring it to you and let you try it out.

I'm glad I didn't go with a big single to get to this power range, which is still nothing to write home about.

Josh.

Also, Ronnie, thanks for all your help when I need it bud!

No worries!

I looked at the 72/96 and the 75/83 from carl and leaned more toward the 72 because of spool up, however I would run a 57mm secondary to give me better spool up aswell. Now talking with Chris over at ED it seems like using these chargers would be ok, but would "match" the truck and ED's turbos are built around my engine and driving style. I dont know anyone who has ED twins on their 2nd Gen 24v so I'm hoping someone on the board that does will chime in.

I'm guessing you wanted the 75/83 for better overall drivability?

Im at 480/960 on a single 62/68 with a stock lift pump... I dont see why anyone would go through the hassle of twins for power easily acheivable from a nice single.

Just my 2 cents

Touche, but a peak HP number doesn't tell the whole tale. 450 can be done on just an hx35... lol, why swap turbos at all, eh?:poke: lol.

So a 63/68 is world's of difference in driveability vs a 64/71? I honestly don't know...

Back