EFILive 6.7L 07-09 Public Release

GOD DAMN MONGOLIANS! I wanted to use my current tune as a base tune as i've been using it for MONTHS without change... back to first base then I guess

your going to need a manual file as well. Don't have access to the torque reduction files yet. That may or may not mess with you.. since your a 4 speed now...

GOD DAMN MONGOLIANS! I wanted to use my current tune as a base tune as i've been using it for MONTHS without change... back to first base then I guess

Yep a few of the box tuners seem to have learned a couple things from EFILive since it's release for the 5.9s I think.... particularly how to BLOCK ECM reading...

While i'm ok with that to protect THEIR work... I'm NOT ok with them doing it once the truck has been 'returned to stock' as they call it.... They are not removing the blocked reading so the only resort is to head to the dealer or to downlad (in the case of the 5.9s) a new stock file from the 'tune library' and start from scratch. Often times this will cost you high idle or other nifty features that you had enabled on your truck.... (not always, but in general if you're starting with a proper 'clean' stock file - it will)... There are alternative stock files that people have uploaded that have some of the options people like re-enabled, but if you're in the 6.7 crowd as of right now there isn't much 'stock' file stuff out there to choose from. Dealer might be the best bet so you have features enabled that you want....

Afterall, it is YOUR truck - the boxes should leave it the way they found it, but don't....

torque reduction files?

my tranny is completely standalone from ECM..

You'll have to ask someone smarter than me on this one. I know that the tcm requests torque reduction during shifting. I also am under the impression that's there's naturally a certain amount built into the ecm as well. But who knows. Data log it and let us know if your rpm's look funny around your shifts. If its like mine. You'll see a slight drop, then a spike.. However, the truck feels like you just put the brakes on.. Freaked me out the first time..

Have sense found it most of it is in my tcm tuning. I'm going to fix that this weekend when I get back and town.

Yep a few of the box tuners seem to have learned a couple things from EFILive since it's release for the 5.9s I think.... particularly how to BLOCK ECM reading...

While i'm ok with that to protect THEIR work... I'm NOT ok with them doing it once the truck has been 'returned to stock' as they call it.... They are not removing the blocked reading so the only resort is to head to the dealer or to downlad (in the case of the 5.9s) a new stock file from the 'tune library' and start from scratch. Often times this will cost you high idle or other nifty features that you had enabled on your truck.... (not always, but in general if you're starting with a proper 'clean' stock file - it will)... There are alternative stock files that people have uploaded that have some of the options people like re-enabled, but if you're in the 6.7 crowd as of right now there isn't much 'stock' file stuff out there to choose from. Dealer might be the best bet so you have features enabled that you want....

Afterall, it is YOUR truck - the boxes should leave it the way they found it, but don't....

You'll have to ask someone smarter than me on this one. I know that the tcm requests torque reduction during shifting. I also am under the impression that's there's naturally a certain amount built into the ecm as well. But who knows. Data log it and let us know if your rpm's look funny around your shifts. If its like mine. You'll see a slight drop, then a spike.. However, the truck feels like you just put the brakes on.. Freaked me out the first time..

Have sense found it most of it is in my tcm tuning. I'm going to fix that this weekend when I get back and town.

That's definitely not awesome... so it'll erase my high idle and high-beams with fogs options? Suck fest x1000

As far as torque management my ECM has zero comm with my TCM so it has no idea when its commanding a shift or anything... shouldn't be an issue.

I'm on the horn with Cindy @ EFI, I'm sure she'll set me up for success

grr.

should i try a manual recovery file and go back to an old version of smarty that i've got saved?

Nope. Tried it. Won't work either.

This is not the first time this situation has popped up with 'return to stock' and the ECM still remaining blocked from reading.

One user ended up having to resort to using the recovery files Smarty puts in to the ECM so he could get any sort of read from he's truck. Problem is these recovery files are quite old (at least the two that have been Emailed to us), when I say old, as in there has been 10 updates from the dealer since they were released. This has meant we didn't have support for them, however there will be support for these old OS's in the next RC8 update as we appreciate a number of people are going to end up in this situation.

You could try the manual recovery with Smarty and try your luck, however I think the best bet to start fresh with the correct tune for your truck (if your ECM is locked) is a visit to the dealer. When the dealer uses the on-line programming tool they can choose to put an auto or manual tune in the ECM, so Ryan you should be ok if this is the path you want to take.

Cheers
Cindy

As far as torque management my ECM has zero comm with my TCM so it has no idea when its commanding a shift or anything... shouldn't be an issue.

It's not just a reduction in torque at shifts, there are tables that limit the fuel output to reduce torque in all situations. They're there to save the stock auto's and torque converters.

In the 5.9 tables, we have all of these, but currently not on the 6.7's yet. Without adjusting these tables, there are situations where your torque output is reduced to half.

I think Ryan's problem with going to the dealer for a flash is that they are only going to be able to flash it based on the VIN. The StarScan and StarMobile don't really give you options to just flash in anything you want.

Ryan's best option is getting a read from a manual trans truck and starting fresh.

My truck was a manual from the factory.. As far as dealer and vin goes I'm good. I'll wait for public release and tinker until then..

Thanks. I thought there was something on the ecm side as well. Ryan- i have the manual recovery files read, and according to cindy they have been mapped and shld be in the next release. I sent em to her a cpl weeeks ago. The reduction is pretty nasty, so i'm waiting on the ability to either turn them off or run a manual file before i continue.

Shld be sweet once we can disable those or zero them out like we can on the injection events.

Nevermind- forgot urs was an manual originally.. once u get urs flashed by the dealer wld u post up ur stock read. I don't have access to a manual here. Only auto's.

Last edited:
Don't worry about the recovery files.

Just flash over what's there with a clean OS and you'll be all set.

The one thing you'll have to wait on is all the "off-road" stuff. I lready explained that to ya in the PM's.

That way you won't lose all the other stuff that's been set in your TIPM, like the lights and all the other stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas, looks like I owe some beers at the races this year... I have to report for duty at the shop tonight as I'm finally off daddy day care duty but I should get a good chance to mess with EFI over the weekend!

I'm up & running. Once I returned smarty to stock and removed smarty from equation I could read the factory ECM file... I'm absolutely astounded what a few numbers punched in here & there and some smoothing does on a stock file, my truck has never ran that good and I whipped it out (With the help of Fleece in my ear!) in two hours. Write time is just a hair over 4 minutes, very impressive.

I have a question. Since my truck is a conversion. I have no VIN for the truck the motor came from to use to get a file from the dealer. Would any OS for my 03 HO with a manual trans work?

Back