EFILive Beta First Impressions

vortecfcar

Good morning :),

Over the past few months as many of you know, the programmers at EFIlive have been developing a software package that caters to the Cummins enthusiast. As a member of the Beta team I've had the opportunity to test that software first hand and I'd like to share my initial thoughts with you.

The truck I've been testing on is a Regular Cab/ Short bed truck with a custom built 4-Link and an DTT Full billet trans that has been supplied to me for the purpose of this test by Randall's Performance out of Gladstone Il. Big thanks to those guys! The engine is totally stock, stock injector, stock turbo, stock stock. (For now :))

I've been running the truck on stock condition and with a box style tuner previous to the Beta release so that I could familiarize myself with the characteristics of these tunes and get an idea of areas I'd like to improve.

As of today, this software release is only available to a small group until we further validate it. However, after using the edit version of the software on my test truck for only a few hours I can tell you as a group that you have a lot to look forward to. In just a couple of hours I was able to tune a truck that was previously prone to rattle, smoke, and aggressively accelerate with very little throttle effort into a mild mannered, smooth driver that quickly and cleanly comes up on the power band with no extra drama or engine noise than stock. Here are a few screens hots so you can visualize the difference between what you've been using and what you will be using.

The first image is a box style timing map. It's shape and rough inconsistencies are very similar to the stock map.
Rough_Timing_Table.jpg

This image is a timing table that I built for the truck using EFILive. Notice how smooth the transitions are. This translates into smoother driving experience and less drama during throttle transitions.
SmoothedTimingTable-1.jpg

The next table is a box tuner style fuel pressure map. It's plainly obvious why these trucks rattle so hard with these boxes on them. Look how abruptly the fuel pressure command spikes!
Rough_FuelPressure_Table.jpg

Now, here's a fuel pressure map that I've put together using EFIlive. Again, notice the progressive shape without any rough edges. The smoother the engine comes up on pressure, the nicer it is to fuel system parts.
SmoothFuelPressureCurve.jpg

Finally, this picture is of a box tuner style throttle curve. This curve determines how much fuel is injected based on pedal position. Notice how abruptly the engine commands full fuel (table 1) vs. my progressive table (table 2).
AbruptThrottleTransition.jpg

SmoothThrottleTransition.jpg

The examples I've posted here are really just scratching the surface. Trucks with bigger turbos and injectors will benefit dramatically from the drivability improvements possible with this software. The days of Rattle, smoke, and heat will be replaced with cleaner power that's nicer on the truck and the driver. Best of all, you won't need to stack anything. One tuner.

Take care,

Nick Priegnitz

Will the Current V2 that works on a Duramax, work on the Cummins?

Or, if the OBD-II port plug is different, could someone just get that different cord, and still use the same V2 box?

When will you be releasing tunes Nick?

Your current V2 will will work on '06 and newer Cummins. You'll need to buy the Cummins add-on which is about ~$400 and then you can tune (once the release is public). Of course the standard $100 license fee per truck through EFIlive still applies.

I'm going to log some dyno time and road miles over the next few weeks. Probably start tuning customers trucks with frequency in a month or so.

Nick

It feels like this is a dream. EFILive is finally here, can't wait to here the results you come up with.

btw this is for the 06-07 5.9 right? Any word on when the 6.7 stuff will be in beta?

I can't say on the 6.7, except that it is next on EFILive's agenda once the 5.9 calibrations are validated.

Nick

ps- Anyone sending me PM's please be advised I cannot return them until I have 10 posts on this forum. :)

Anyone know if I can replace my 04 ECM with an 06 ECM? I know the 06s have key codes and such... not sure if it would work correctly.

Are there graphs for torque management?

There will be. Most of the tables for testing are pretty basic. We are doing basic testing to be sure calibrations do not fail when we make changes to them. The graphs Nick posted are a product of smoothing functions built into the EFI Live software. You can all do this at home when we are finished. It is very simple to use!

There will be. Most of the tables for testing are pretty basic. We are doing basic testing to be sure calibrations do not fail when we make changes to them. The graphs Nick posted are a product of smoothing functions built into the EFI Live software. You can all do this at home when we are finished. It is very simple to use!

Very cool! Thank you!

this is awsome man your lucky to be testing it!!! thank you for keeping us informed. i would love to see and hear more

We are all lucky to have EFI Live working on this for us. They are very good at making a functional interface that is easy to use and efficient. They are putting in long hours to make this happen. They deserve many thanks for their hard work!

Back