external wastegate opinions

jackblack99

now obviously id like to go with a nice expensive piece but i just cant do it right now. but i want to have a gate on this charger im getting cause i want to be able to control turbo speed and drive pressure. ive already got an adapter plate. but whats everyones thoughts on turbonetics and tial wastegates? im thinkin in the 40-50mm range. ive found some for decent deals and wondering if they will hold up. thanks.

Tial gates are the industry standard. You won't go wrong with one.

ok thanks i guess my next question is what size should i be looking at? is a 38-40mm enough? or should i be looking at 50mm+?

and what about turbonetics? i know they make high end turbo's so i assume their gates must be ok. just want to make sure.

Size depends on what your setup is.

I have never personally used a turbonetics gate, but I also have never heard anything bad about them either.

well what info do ya need to point me in the direction of the right size? its goin on a 5.9 cummins, p&p head, 60# springs, haisley cam, 5x.018's, haisley built 215 pump. anything else ya need?

I use turbosmart 45mm gates on most of my builds, They fit right on the 44mm tial flange and they outflow them. I get them from Majestic Turbo In waco tx. On our larger builds, if we have enough room we use E.D. gates.

One bit of advice, the smaller gates use a two bolt flange which has a larger footprint and is not able to be clocked. The 44mm tial and the 45mm turbosmart use a circular self sealing flange that can be clocked a full 360. Very nice when you are trying to weld up all of the piping and looking at changes in the future. Also turbo smart has some nice in cab wastegate controllers.It is nice to be able to change boost setttings on the road while watching boost, egt. and drive pressure.

Zach

haha. looks like im gonna have to till i can find the right deal. ive had like 4-5 ppl say you can find em cheap on ebay... im not buying that cheap crap that wont last.

how would this one work out? its a turbosmart powergate 50mm. here's the info and pic i found.

Extreme horsepower, high-valve lift, high temperature wastegate. Rated to continuous 1200C (2192F). Features an investment cast stainless steel body, anodized actuator, one-piece stainless steel billet valve, Silicone Nomex diaphragm. Supplied with 14, 21 and 28psi spring sets, vee-bands and flanges
w-powergate.jpg

new they are $600+. i found this one from a guy that had bought it for a project then never used it. if i end up going with it ill be getting a deal on it.

Back