F106 weight/Pro Mod build

Has anybody ever welded a 106 spindle onto an sq housing on the outside of the factory brake flange? I know the axle isn't going to be real narrow. (this is for a customer). Having some issues that I'm sure are material related. Just wondering if anybody else had run into this.
e82533ccdd02dd42e14e202b0848371a.jpg

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk
Curious how you are keeping everything 110% straight and true?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Curious how you are keeping everything 110% straight and true?

i turned pucks to go into the spindles and to go in place of the carrirer bearings in the chunk. Then a 1.5'' diameter TGP rod runs through the it as I get it tacked into place. The problem is with the weld. Ever done one?

Ok...just making sure you are doing that part correctly...what issues with the weld?

Ok...just making sure you are doing that part correctly...what issues with the weld?

If you look in the picture I posted you can see that the new spindle is actually being welded to the remaining piece of the original spindle, not to the square part of the banjo housing. The weld is cracking. Even put 300 degrees preheat in it and same problem. Process: TIG Filler: ER70S I'm concerned that the old spindle I'm welding to is cast. Anybody ever welded on an SQ this far out (spindle side I mean). I'm pretty sure the the sides of the banjo housing are some sort of mild steel variation. I hate to think I have to weld this with a NiRod or a 309 SS. That makes me a little uncomfortable.

Try doing a spark test on the sqhd spindle? From what I remember from doing my f106 spindles is they were deffinatly hardened compared to the housing material...noticeably harder in the first 6" of boring then out to 2.100. Basically from the end to the furthest most point where the bearings were ridding.

Don't seem to be hardened. The spindle, the old axle spindle assembly. And the housing ask throw the same sparks. And are easily hit with a file. This cracking is throwing me for a loop. I'm off of work this week so I'm still researching and making phonecalls. Might end up going with 309 filler. Still digging for info at this point.

That piece on the end that contains the spindle is some different material.
When grinding on the housing and transitioning to the square stub at the end, grinds alot different, harder material seems to me.

I'm pretty sure it has to be cast. Got a plan together. Gonna step back and go another route.

I would think most go narrower then this, have not experienced the issue you are or use different materials.
I agree. I have the answer after thinking it over a little more. Gonna have some pics when I get the new parts made. A little more work but, I know it will be a strong as I can build it. No questions about it in the back of my mind.

DSC_0566.jpg

DSC_0584.jpg

IMG_20160205_071159.jpg

DSC_0582.jpg

DSC_0585.jpg

So the SQHD is almost done. Have to do finish welding on the housing and weld up the carrier. once again, this axle is not for my Pro Mod 4wd methanol truck, which is why it is so wide. Still have to draw and cut his aluminum dropbox plate, midplate at reverser, and some other special things. Then I have to build another identical SQHD for another local puller. Then start working on my own stuff...... Maybe. :bang Here are some of the pics.

20-145 190lbs you can knock 25lbs off if you cut rear cover off

Attachments

• KIMG0214.jpg
    KIMG0214.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 0
I have thought about that. From a structural standpoint, once the rear cover is removed and replaced with the light aluminum piece, it seams like the housing would be more likely to torsional twist and flex. Anybody have long term results after cutting off the rear dome?

20-145 190lbs you can knock 25lbs off if you cut rear cover off
Wow...no wonder why my axle was 125lbs lighter than the ones Proformance Pros sell...my sheet metal housing with the 1/2" front plate and 1/4" everywhere else with a ton of internal bracing only weighs 85lbs

Wow...no wonder why my axle was 125lbs lighter than the ones Proformance Pros sell...my sheet metal housing with the 1/2" front plate and 1/4" everywhere else with a ton of internal bracing only weighs 85lbs

What are the class rules for what you're running? Curious about the hp/tq numbers that are being run through the rear you built.

Sounds about right stock housing are 1/2-9/16 thick through out, no problems here with a alum cover two seasons on it ,I did manage to break a r/p but I had good reason's two

I am more concerned about strength over weight on this one. I want to make sure this things is sound as can be for the long term. Based on the width requirement we were already wide. So going crazy with the rest really didn't make sense. Strong and as simple as possible were the goals. (and saving weight were we could) The SQHD housing is 3/8 throughout ( compared to 1/2 or more of the 20-145)..... Which is what concerns me about cutting off the rear factory cover. Doesn't have the meat in it like the 20-145 does.

What are the class rules for what you're running? Curious about the hp/tq numbers that are being run through the rear you built.
Tube chassis truck...still undecided on my motor. Could be diesel, big N/A or blower motor. Building it to hold the same power the super stocks run just to be on the safe side! I have my doubts I would ever have any issues caused or related to the housing its self!!!

I'm looking forward to getting this mounted! Brandon you do great work. Everything looked good last night that you have done. I'm not willing to sacrifice strength to save a few pounds, but the way you're doing it, it's still saving some weight. With the goals we are trying to hit this season it'll be worth the build.

Back