FASS 150/180 or Regulated Return Fuel System?

StrokerAce

Smooth Is Fast
I am getting everything ready to put 190 injectors in my 04 and I'm trying to figure this fuel system out. I have read where many are running both the FASS and eiter DJ's fuel system or ITP's. Unfortunately, I am not able to swing for both the FASS and the RR system at the same time so I am trying to figure out which would be the best to do when I put the injectors in. I like the FASS since it will allow me to not use the factory system, but I also like the RR kit since it will save me over $200. I just want to put the best system in that will work best with the injectors. I don't have plans of going any larger on the injectors and the only other mod I may do besides the trans is a turbo, but that will be a long ways down the road. Any suggestions on which one would be better would be appreciated. Thanks

FASS only..you don't need a regulator..the FASS is internally regulated.

Thank you for the reply. So is the reason that some are running both is because they had the RR system and then put the Fass system on?

probably..I dunno..I did my opposite though..FASS then RR..

the RR kit did nothing and will do nothing for the fuel pressure other then lower it.

I would recommend at least the rear crossover line though.

I would recommend at least the rear crossover line though.

Cool, I didn't know that I could add the rear cross over line to the Fass system. I dumb when it comes to the fuel systems and I'm trying to learn and figure all of this out. When you added your RR system, were you hoping for improvements and didn't get it or did you add it for other reasons? Seems like a lot of money for no improvements. Thanks again for the help.

I got mine for really cheap..I was running 50 psi with the 150/180 and I was gonna bump it up to 55..that's when I figured it out that it wasn't gonna happen.

I could get the 65psi spring from FASS and then with the regulator turn the FP down to 55..but I aint gonna mess with that.

the crossover line..it runs from the backside of the heads..left to right.

Makes sense. Would it be a good idea if I got the 65 psi spring and put it in before the install or will the standard spring be enough for the 190 injectors?

I think they changed the spring on the new models..think it comes with the 65

I run 190's with 50 psi..no problem.

Good deal, sorry for all of the questions but I appreciate your help.

I think they changed the spring on the new models..think it comes with the 65

I run 190's with 50 psi..no problem.

Pretty sure you are right. I just put s 150/180 on and it runs at 65# when cold then backs off to 60# warm.

The new 150/180's do have the 65# spring, but you still might want to call Dan @ Fass and check your serial #. There are still some old ones in warehouses around. Also I really like the fass and RR together. I have 225 cc injectors and I set my RR at 60 psi and it never falls below 58 psi @ WFO. Before w/ stock injectors and a 150/150 it would only run around 50 to 55 psi and drop below 40 at WFO. Once when I was pulling the sled it fell to 10 psi.

When I first installed my FASS 150/180, (With the regulated return) It was only making like 45 Psi. I called Dan, and he hooked me up with a new spring, and fitting. When I finished changing them out, I could set the pressure to 60-65 PSI no problem. (WITH the regulated return)

Now...Before I started my engine rebuild, I tried something. I closed the valve on my regulated return to see what the pressure would be. It shot up to 85 Psi.

So now, I am changing everything again, (Hopefully for the last time). I installed the old spring, and fitting, and am going to try to run the FASS by itself. No more regulated return line, no fuel cooler, nothing. Just the FASS 150/180 feeding to the front of the engine compartment in -10 braided stainless...to the Russell "Y" block...out to two -8 braided lines. (One for each side of the block) Then both lines split off again to feed the back of the heads, and the front of the heads in -6 braided lines. (The back ones are covered in wrap to keep them cooler.)

Pictures will follow.

When I first installed my FASS 150/180, (With the regulated return) It was only making like 45 Psi. I called Dan, and he hooked me up with a new spring, and fitting. When I finished changing them out, I could set the pressure to 60-65 PSI no problem. (WITH the regulated return)

Now...Before I started my engine rebuild, I tried something. I closed the valve on my regulated return to see what the pressure would be. It shot up to 85 Psi.

So now, I am changing everything again, (Hopefully for the last time). I installed the old spring, and fitting, and am going to try to run the FASS by itself. No more regulated return line, no fuel cooler, nothing. Just the FASS 150/180 feeding to the front of the engine compartment in -10 braided stainless...to the Russell "Y" block...out to two -8 braided lines. (One for each side of the block) Then both lines split off again to feed the back of the heads, and the front of the heads in -6 braided lines. (The back ones are covered in wrap to keep them cooler.)

Pictures will follow.

Make sure the FASS is returning fuel back to the tank....85 is a touch high for the 200 GPH pump as the High pressure relief should be around 75-80 PSI.....If it sits on that relief...it will cut off FASS return fuel back to the tank.

dan,

so you will send me a 65lb spring for my 150/180?

warranty will still be intact?

Make sure the FASS is returning fuel back to the tank....85 is a touch high for the 200 GPH pump as the High pressure relief should be around 75-80 PSI.....If it sits on that relief...it will cut off FASS return fuel back to the tank.

Dan,
I did not remove the FASS's return line. I removed the ball valve and return line from the front of the engine compartment.
With the high pressure spring, I had the pressure set ay 60 PSI, and had return fuel from the FASS, AND the ball valve return.
When I closed the ball valve at the front, the pressure shot to 85 Psi. The FASS was still returning fuel.

I hope this helps a little bit...

I have ALOT of high pressure Swagelok hose for sale now, cuz I changed it all to braided stailess steel llines.

Back