FASS or Air Dog?????

S04X

Comments on which is better? Anyone had personal experience withboth?

When it comes to these two systems, i don't think one is better than the other. There's a reason why these two systems look alike. There was a family feud between father and son at FASS. The son left FASS and started up AIRDOG. They both look the same and have the same concept in mind. But the AIRDOG is a bit cheaper from what i heard.

I read it all. I guess I asked a rookie question. Still didn't read a difinitive answer to can the air dog system be used in place of the oem pump or only with the oem pump?

It can be used both ways. It can be used with the OEM pump(HFCM) or it can be used as a stand alone pump. If used as a stand alone pump, you will hafta shim the pressure regulator on the pump to 60psi with some washers. If you don't it will only put out 45psi which can be used piggy backing the the OEM one. This is basically what i'm doing with my FASS 95/150 system. I still have the OEM pump but am using the FASS to help the stock pump. My plan is to get a FASS 150/180 as a stand alone and get rid of the OEM stuff all together.

they look "similar" but not identical. the fass has a little bit more going on than the airdog does.
and the last time i checked, the airdog was NOT available as a standalone system like the 150/180,
and for the record, even with the 150/180 you need to modify the fass w/an upgraded pressure regulator spring or it will NOT maintain a safe fuel pressure to the injectors , just tell Dan when you order it that it will be used w/the factory pump (or if used w/aftermarket fuel system you still need to modify it) and that you want the stiffer spring, he'll know exactly what to send you.

Just to eliminate the confusion!

The father, Charles Ekstam, started the what was to become the Fuel Preporator in 1990 when the son, Brad, was in the Air Force. After the father developed and patented (the first of 4 US patents) the inital product and got it to the commercial phase (1994) he gave his son a sales job. The son later helped with assembly and sales of the original Fuel Preporator Fuel Air Separation System for class 8 trucks until 1998. Some of the original Fuel Preporators found a home on pickup trucks.

Due to a falling out, the father entered into a License Agreement 1998 with Diesel Products Inc, Fenton (St. Louis), MO. The son went to work for the Licensee. The father terminated the license with DPI in 2002 and started Fuel Preporator International, he also offered his son a job (which he turned down). Fuel Preporator, Int. later became Ekstam Worldwide. The son first publically displayed the FASS at the 2003 Mid America Truck Show.

The FASS only has the secondary air separation features of the Fuel Preporator/AirDog and not the primary or positive air separation. This is why you have to loosen the FASS fuel filter to get it to prime and the AirDog primes right up. With out the primary air separation features, air separation is dependant on the floatation of the bubbles extremely limited. Once the fuel flow velocity exceeds the float rate of the bubbles or the regulator closes, without the primary or positive air separation of the Fuel Preporator the air goes to the engine. The function of the FASS air separation feature is fully explained in the Abstract and Detailed Description of the Fuel Preporator patient 5,746,184 with a priority date of 1994.

The father, while selling the Original Fuel Preporator, continued to refine and develop the product to increase the efficiency of the air separation process and reduce the physical size. The result is the current AirDog, 7"Lx3.2"Wx10"T. The Fuel Preporator for the 14,200 cu. in. EMD locomotive and marine diesels is only slightly larger (except for the pump itself) than the original Fuel Preporator.

With kidneys failing, the father sold the company (which was renamed PureFlow Technologies) in Feb,'05. After a kidney transplant, the company was bought back in March, '07. After recovering from the operation the father started resurrecting the company and took full control in September 2007. The rest is what you have seen since September, 2007.

I thank you for your patience, those who have bought AirDogs and Raptor fuel pumps for your patronage and support and I wish all of you the best, especially my donor who gave me a chance to do this!

Charlie Ekstam,
(the father)

Last edited:
I am in the process of installing an Air dog on my truck this week. I will also have a FASS system on my race truck, so I will be able to see the differences in the two. I am not one to step into family business, so I will let the systems speak for themselves. Thanks for stepping in Charlie. Hopefully Brad can add his .02 also.

i have an Airdog FP-150. got it because of price and service. im in the process of installing it along with my custom fuel system. it will be standalone. so far everything with it seems top notch. very happy with my decision.

Garrett

I have an air dog 150 and its a nice kit for sure..My only question is that my friend has a FASS and it totally eliminated the oe lift pump...can i just bypass that as well and just hook straight up to my feed line? Will the air dog flow enough to make it up there? I also thought about running an aeromotive inline to pick up any slack? has anyone thought about doing anything like this?

I have an air dog 150 and its a nice kit for sure..My only question is that my friend has a FASS and it totally eliminated the oe lift pump...can i just bypass that as well and just hook straight up to my feed line? Will the air dog flow enough to make it up there? I also thought about running an aeromotive inline to pick up any slack? has anyone thought about doing anything like this?

You can use the airdog as a standalone pump and remove the factory one if you shim the regulator on the airdog to at least 60 psi with some washers.

You can use the airdog as a standalone pump and remove the factory one if you shim the regulator on the airdog to at least 60 psi with some washers.

you know i did hear some stuff about this. i need to get a gauge for sure. and also have you done this or know anyone that has? im curious how well if any does it help or not? even pictures would be awesome. Thanks alot for your response too

There are guys on another forum(The Diesel Garage) who have done this and works just fine. The only thing is that you'll hafta find the right washer combination to reach at least 60psi and might even hafta grind one to get the psi that high. I think i might wait till this summer when they come out with an adjustable regulator on the pump so i don't hafta shim. I'm still undecided on what high pressure to get airdog or FASS they are both great.

The FASS only has the secondary air separation features of the Fuel Preporator/AirDog and not the primary or positive air separation. This is why you have to loosen the FASS fuel filter to get it to prime and the AirDog primes right up. With out the primary air separation features, air separation is dependant on the floatation of the bubbles extremely limited. )

and just to clear up any further confusion.. i have the FASS 150/180 currently and Dan from Fass has been 100% behind his product from the beginning, and made it possible for me to get to where i am, but enough about that, i can tell you from experience that i DO NOT HAVE TO LOOSEN my fuel filter to prime my pump.... i've changed filters many times and never had to do this, when i turn the key i usually have full fuel pressure in less than 5 seconds, and within about 15-20 seconds it is totally primed and the sound tone settles down to normal

and just to clear up any further confusion.. i have the FASS 150/180 currently and Dan from Fass has been 100% behind his product from the beginning, and made it possible for me to get to where i am, but enough about that, i can tell you from experience that i DO NOT HAVE TO LOOSEN my fuel filter to prime my pump.... i've changed filters many times and never had to do this, when i turn the key i usually have full fuel pressure in less than 5 seconds, and within about 15-20 seconds it is totally primed and the sound tone settles down to normal

Yeah, i'm currently running a FASS 95/150 piggy backing the stock pump(HFCM) and i never had to loosen the filter for the system to prime. It primes right up in a few seconds.

you do need to make sure that the filters are full of diesel when you screw them on though and it will prime right away..
one time i was changing the fuel filters on the side of the road (long story) and had no way to fill the new ones with diesel, so i filled them bad boys up with some 40wt oil i had in my road kit... then i just turned the key and it primed up in just a few seconds.. of course i let the fuel pump run for about 2 minutes to dilute all the oil back into the tank instead of the head (another reason to have a good x-over system on your regulated return kit ) :)
then she fired up, never missed a beat and got me home no issues.

you do need to make sure that the filters are full of diesel when you screw them on though and it will prime right away..
one time i was changing the fuel filters on the side of the road (long story) and had no way to fill the new ones with diesel, so i filled them bad boys up with some 40wt oil i had in my road kit... then i just turned the key and it primed up in just a few seconds.. of course i let the fuel pump run for about 2 minutes to dilute all the oil back into the tank instead of the head (another reason to have a good x-over system on your regulated return kit ) :)
then she fired up, never missed a beat and got me home no issues.

I never had to do this either. When i replace the fuel filter on my FASS 95/150 system i screw it on tight, turn the ignition on to start the pump and wait for a minute or so till the pump fills the fuel filter up on it's own. Then good to go. I never had to keep the filter loose to let it prime nor have i ever had to fill the filter with fuel when replacing. As a matter of fact it says in the directions for replacing fuel filter that filling the new filter with diesel isn't necessary, that all you have to do it turn the key on and wait for the pump to fill filter.

Back