Fueling a 7.3 to 4k and up.

mech2161

I have a secret.
Spent some time with Jody Tipton of DP-Tuner on Friday. I've been having trouble with my truck popping trying to free rev on the line and pulling down the track. Jody got the chance to experience it first hand. It would pop and buck so hard it would set a SES lamp for the cam sensor at 3600. Well after a lot of time he figured it out. When the tach went to 4500 on the street we both were like, did that just happen. With a lot more pw than was thought possible we put more fuel to it and made another pass on the back country road. I wussed out at 4200 and lifted. The new equipment Jody has is sweet. He logged the runs as we went and changed the tuning without removing the chip.

After the three hour trip to Dillsburg and four hours of tuning I went another hour south and hooked to the sled at McConnellsburg. On the line it free reved to 4k with no issues at all. The track was pretty tight, A few in trucks busted drive line parts. It pulled 34-3500 down the track with not even a hint of a pop. Corey said it was cleaning up the fuel to a grey haze. With the amount of fuel I have, the 34-3500 is probably all I'll get on a tight track. I hooked 10th out of 20 trucks and held first till the last two trucks. Mat Cooper in a DMax took first and 2000wvodge that hooked first, dropped and came back last for second place.

RPM's have been killing the 7.3's. I can't wait till next year.

Live tuning with DP-Tuner is da chit!

It feels so much smoother. I can add more fuel now and be able to take advantage of it. It's going to be a long winter.

I guess I need to go another route and look in to DP a little closer now.

I had a 97 OBS PSD customer rev it out to 4200 and it smacked the intake valve into the piston. I would hate to see it at 4500.

He wanted it to rev. I told him not to. SCT gives you what you want.

But are you making better power Kevin?

Will it still rev like that with increased pulsewidth?

I know with my Dmax It would act screwy some times above 4000 with big pulsewidthes. I went to much bigger injectors to lower my pulsewidth and dutycycle and I revs awesome. I still have room to grow but the GT42 doesnt.

You can get to the point where the you have two injectors working at the same time. Bad things happen.

You can get to the point where the you have two injectors working at the same time. Bad things happen.

That can't happen with factory electronics in a 7.3 PSD. The IDM freaks out before it gets to that point and that is when a PSD will start popping and cracking and generally run like crap. It all has to do with the communications protocal between the PSM and IDM. As long as you tune to keep that protocal happy all is good, if you violate the rules of that protocal then the truck runs like crap.

Jason

John it showed 3.xx ms pw at 4200 on the log. I'm sure actual pw at the injector is lower. Does it make more power? Yes!
Jason, I'm glad I stuck with it. I'll add a little more fuel over the winter and I'm going to drop back to a 2.6 charger. After a long disappointing summer I'm looking forward to next year.

there quite a few 7.3's out there runnin those kind of R's. No issues one even has a stock bottom end.

there quite a few 7.3's out there runnin those kind of R's. No issues one even has a stock bottom end.

Who would that be...:poke:, There is actually a couple of them...

With the correct tuning they will hold together just fine.

for those turning 4k on stock bottom end, what kind of valve trane are they running. stock cam and rockers? I'll assume they have push tubes and springs.

Who would that be...:poke:, There is actually a couple of them...

With the correct tuning they will hold together just fine.

Lets just say one is pretty damn quick

push rods and comp 910s here!

mech2161 Aftermarket springs and push rods on stock bottom end.

Good to know I think I'm gonna try it with 910's and push tubes next year.
all I'll need is some injector work, tuneing, a few good prayers, and I should be good to go :rockwoot:

my goal with the new engine is to make peak power in the 3500+ range and top 800 on fuel. Ive got too many changes being made to even guess if htis is possible or not, but its my goal. I think the fuel and air are covered, just need R's.

Luke I don't have anything special. It's all in the tunes from Jody. My truck pulled the sled at 3500 with likely less fuel and air than you have.

Back