Garret ball bearing

Kick Start

Banned
Has anyone ran one and what are your opinions on them? Pics ofthem installed will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Garret makes about a million different turbos...any particular one you have in mind

Nothing really in mind. Just wondering how well people like them and pictures of them installed.

I like mine. This secondary has lasted many times longer than the BW units it replaced.

Theres nothing quite like a Garret BB turbo. I loved my gt3782r as a single, now getting ready to try out a gt40 in my compounds. Pretty excited!

Wish i could afford one,, especially a gtx4202, i bet i would like it a lot!

I ran a gt4202r on my 08 and liked it. Lasted longer than the s400s I've ran in the past.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I don't have that much fuel but really like my GT3788R, stage 3 of the GT37 series. Drives easy and spools nearly like stock. You can loaf along in OD at low speeds and it's moving enough air to cruise up a halfway decent grade with EGT under 700 and no smoke, down to about 1200 RPM.

The Stage 3 of this series is known for surging, and a cam is strongly recommended, but it makes a BIG difference where you get this turbo from. Don't waste your money on off-the-shelf ones that almost everyone sells, they come with .99 AR housing and restrictive HX35 style outlet. GT37s from Turbo Re-Source in Lake Havasu City come modified with HX40 outlets on .89 housings and cost about the same. If you end up with a used one you can get the modified housing from them for around $300 (which is what I did).

The main reason of the cam requirement is the surging issue, I don't have a cam but mine doesn't surge or bark, I'm guessing it's due to the tubular header I'm running. When I do get a cam and running more fuel I'll be looking to go larger on the housing or move up to the next larger frame.

There's a couple pics in my '98 album 98 24V Club Cab pictures by VMac822 - Photobucket

Last edited:
What might I find a ball bearing turbo on in a junk yard? Just wondering....

What might I find a ball bearing turbo on in a junk yard? Just wondering....

a truck off of here that hit a tree and wasnt bought back from the insurance company ;-)

I am fairly certain that there aren't any companies doing ball bearing turbos standard yet. I could be wrong

Last edited:
I don't have that much fuel but really like my GT3788R, stage 3 of the GT37 series. Drives easy and spools nearly like stock. You can loaf along in OD at low speeds and it's moving enough air to cruise up a halfway decent grade with EGT under 700 and no smoke, down to about 1200 RPM.

The Stage 3 of this series is known for surging, and a cam is strongly recommended, but it makes a BIG difference where you get this turbo from. Don't waste your money on off-the-shelf ones that almost everyone sells, they come with .99 AR housing and restrictive HX35 style outlet. GT37s from Turbo Re-Source in Lake Havasu City come modified with HX40 outlets on .89 housings and cost about the same. If you end up with a used one you can get the modified housing from them for around $300 (which is what I did).

The main reason of the cam requirement is the surging issue, I don't have a cam but mine doesn't surge or bark, I'm guessing it's due to the tubular header I'm running. When I do get a cam and running more fuel I'll be looking to go larger on the housing or move up to the next larger frame.

There's a couple pics in my '98 album 98 24V Club Cab pictures by VMac822 - Photobucket

Tom at turbo resource is a great guy! I'm glad to others are taking advantage of his expertise:bow:

Tom at turbo resource is a great guy! I'm glad to others are taking advantage of his expertise:bow:

I've bought 3 of my 4 BB chargers from Tom. I'll have another 3 to buy here in the next year from him as well.

I've bought 3 of my 4 BB chargers from Tom. I'll have another 3 to buy here in the next year from him as well.

Of all the different vendors I bought things from over the years, Tom is by far my favorite. I really enjoy working with him on my projects. I have him do everything, from buying new to fixing stock chargers, he is the best IMO.

Yes you can easily use the heater core lines. I've noticed switching from my old HX35 to my GT3788R that the overall "idle" temps are way lower than the HX35. Takes like 20 seconds after I stop to get to ~300 degrees unless I was running the piss out of it. Also, I personally have never seen a GT3788R with a HX35 exhaust personally. I have the .99 housing and its HX40... At any rate, install is straight forward as long as you have the right oil inlet adapter.

Thank you USARMY. I will be purchasing one after TS. As of right now I will be calling this Tom fellow. Really appreciate everyones input.

Back