GTI build has started

When you buy a custom tune from a tuner, you only pay once, rarely will there be any sort of service fee. I'm only talking about the two that are capable of tuning such a beast - Mike@TDTuning and Mark@Malone Tuning.

Your special pump will need some pretty fancy electronics or something to get that idea to work. Its nice having a huge map to modify to fine tune all different areas.

I do use EDC Suite for my Passat, it makes tuning work out so much better.

Gotcha. I was under the impression that no one did it like that for tdi stuff. I was told (wrongly) that you pay per tune. I didn't look around too hard after I heard that, and went hard after the "mechanical" goal. Now you've got me thinking about at least trying a 12mm build, but keeping it normal. Know anything about that?

Is there a good place to get the edc suite, do I just search and search on the internet? LOL

So I have a 12mm pump being built, and now injectors to go with it once I send out the cores.

Being a static timed pump and mechanical injectors, what exactly can be modified in a tune? Just the amount of fuel sent to the injectors?

Static timed? If its a regular injection pump for a TDI, its not static, its very dynamic.

Stock auto TDI timing map on the left, my monster injector timing map on the right:
RxHfvnU.jpg

Last edited:
Static timed? If its a regular injection pump for a TDI, its not static, its very dynamic.

Stock auto TDI timing map on the left, my monster injector timing map on the right:
RxHfvnU.jpg

By static timed, I mean it's actually set. You can't just throw the pump on. How does it adjust timing from there? And whats the range of adjustment possible? Surely it isn't much?

Ok, I'm good to go on timing advance. Its still static timed, but 10* max internal adjustment with pressure changes.

And Seth is doing my current 12mm pump build, and the 14mm when I max out the 12. He's also the one doing my injectors.

So you're getting a pump that is static timed at 10 degrees? that sounds really silly.

Initial pump setup is with VCDS to set the static timing, then your ECU reads the needle lift on injector #3 to close the loop when commanding timing. The rollers that the cam plate ride on are in an assembly which rotates to set the timing.

Who is Seth?

Seth farrell.

I don't know how vw guys say it. I mean it has fixed timing off the belt. And internally changes the timing up to 10*.

You're correct but you might want to check on the angle - most pumps from the factory do 18-20 degrees at the pump(IIRC)

You're correct but you might want to check on the angle - most pumps from the factory do 18-20 degrees at the pump(IIRC)

I've got a few dealership friends down here. When the pump gets here I'll throw them a case of beer and have them time it. Then I won't need the fancy tools or anything lol.

What do you mean angle? You mean injector spray angle?

Look up my buddy Andrew I know he has posted on here (likely under andy2 as that is what he goes by on most forums), but he is the only guy I have ever seen in that ball park for power, and he had do ditch the rotary pump and go do an inline to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eet8Q-Y5NVw <--- Andrew's car.

Last edited:
Look up my buddy Andrew I know he has posted on here (likely under andy2 as that is what he goes by on most forums), but he is the only guy I have ever seen in that ball park for power, and he had do ditch the rotary pump and go do an inline to get there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eet8Q-Y5NVw <--- Andrew's car.

I talked to him when I wanted to go mechanical pump. After talking with him and a few others, I realized I don't have the salary needed to make one stay together. I do believe he was another one that laughed at me LOL

dvst8r, Has Andy broke 400hp yet?

There are a number of Europeans who are close to 400hp(crank as measured by their dynos) on a slightly modified 11mm pump that comes on an automatic TDI. Stock compression, no ridiculousness.

dvst8r, Has Andy broke 400hp yet?

There are a number of Europeans who are close to 400hp(crank as measured by their dynos) on a slightly modified 11mm pump that comes on an automatic TDI. Stock compression, no ridiculousness.

I've seen a few times where he's claimed 400+.

This motor is stock compression, and 12mm pump. I'd like to know what the euro guys are doing for air.

I know he's claiming 400hp but I haven't seen any dyno sheets up there yet.

Stock as in 19.5:1? consider 18.5:1

Euro guys are running misc turbos, Hino Garrett VNT turbos, HX hybrids(30 or 35?)

I know he's claiming 400hp but I haven't seen any dyno sheets up there yet.

Stock as in 19.5:1? consider 18.5:1

Euro guys are running misc turbos, Hino Garrett VNT turbos, HX hybrids(30 or 35?)

Oh yeah, as far as proof, I havent seen any, but I don't really follow him too close.

I won't be running the hx35 for long. I'm still looking for a good he351cw

I personally wanna see a gtb multiple turbo setup. I think its possible. Just going to be a little more price wise. I got a small build in mind. Just got to get my truck and mk3 gone first.

I personally wanna see a gtb multiple turbo setup. I think its possible. Just going to be a little more price wise. I got a small build in mind. Just got to get my truck and mk3 gone first.

GTB?

I want to find a super small t3 charger to run as a secondary.

I'm going to be called crazy or stupid for saying this but triple gtb2260 turbos.

2 stage setup.

Gtb turbos are a ball bearing option that dark side developments has been using for a while. Iirc their shop TDI is in the 10s.

Back