GTI build has started

No man, that would be awesome. Just don't let tdiclub know, or a few people here LOL You'll be told it is literally, impossible.

GTB's are not ball bearing, B is for 3rd generation vane system.

Controlling 3 GTB turbos would be very difficult, yes the two could be run in parallel off a single N75 vacuum line but the third would need a completely different control - the stock ecu isn't capable of that.

A couple guys are running GTB2056VK's with primaries that are too small, one has been upgraded and might work really well now except he got t-boned.

I have a HX35(twin scroll) and HE341CW and talked a friend into letting me install one on his car but I'm actually afraid they won't spool up at all. Turbine housings are a little big.
Maybe blocking a scroll on the HX35 will do the trick?

Keep in mind that with high boost pressures you're going to run into issues with valve springs - there is only a fixed amount of space for upgraded valve springs, the current ones on the market might not be enough. I currently see about 70psi exhaust pressure, so far my Techtonics Tuning springs are holding the valves shut :)

TDI Club bashing is getting annoying, More than enough people come in with dreams like you and they die off after about 5 days. Gets old and people get annoyed with it.

I have a HX35(twin scroll) and HE341CW and talked a friend into letting me install one on his car but I'm actually afraid they won't spool up at all. Turbine housings are a little big.
Maybe blocking a scroll on the HX35 will do the trick?

Keep in mind that with high boost pressures you're going to run into issues with valve springs - there is only a fixed amount of space for upgraded valve springs, the current ones on the market might not be enough. I currently see about 70psi exhaust pressure, so far my Techtonics Tuning springs are holding the valves shut :)

blocking a volute with an angled piece, and then drill holes in it to get drive pressure comfortable. Like a fixed spool flange. I think cliff has done it, and I've heard others say it works just fine.

What I like about big singles is more air @ less psi. Just getting the rpm to spool them sucks LOL

TDI Club bashing is getting annoying, More than enough people come in with dreams like you and they die off after about 5 days. Gets old and people get annoyed with it.

LOL "dreams." I'm pretty persistent, I run dreams into the ground.

I do it because they're funny about anything performance. I got bashed for asking about EGR stuff. Then I got bashed for wanting 200hp. Don't get me wrong though, there is TONS of knowledge there.

Last edited:
blocking a volute with an angled piece, and then drill holes in it to get drive pressure comfortable. Like a fixed spool flange. I think cliff has done it, and I've heard others say it works just fine.

What I like about big singles is more air @ less psi. Just getting the rpm to spool them sucks LOL

I'm thinking a custom spool flange or similar like you're talking about but instead of drilling holes - throw an actuator on it to control boost by dumping into the other volute and it can still get used. Simply drilling holes will make it spool slower than the actuator method - however its much cheaper.

Jon

I'm thinking a custom spool flange or similar like you're talking about but instead of drilling holes - throw an actuator on it to control boost by dumping into the other volute and it can still get used. Simply drilling holes will make it spool slower than the actuator method - however its much cheaper.

Jon

Much much cheaper lol, and still relieves drive pressure to your comfort zone. I would much rather have a functioning spool flange. If anyone made them for a t3 foot I'd do it in a heart beat. I loved the one on truck.

So has anyone sprayed one before? I've seen mention of propane but no nitrous. I'm starting to get an itch to build one since it's so cheap.

So has anyone sprayed one before? I've seen mention of propane but no nitrous. I'm starting to get an itch to build one since it's so cheap.

Cheap if you buy everything used. I'd say the vw stuff costs as much as 12 valve stuff. But you don't need as much power to make a <3k car go fast. I wouldn't see why you couldn't spray with a gate.

I've got maybe 4k total into everything, with a lot of parts that I already had. 3k for the car it's going into, that already has cage and suspension. If I were to start from scratch with a virgin car, I think I'd have 20k into it pretty easy.

Last edited:
Well, the alh's are cheaper to play with than my truck is what I'm saying :lolly:
600 bucks for billet rods is a drop in the bucket compared to the 2000+ for billet cummins rods.

Well, the alh's are cheaper to play with than my truck is what I'm saying :lolly:
600 bucks for billet rods is a drop in the bucket compared to the 2000+ for billet cummins rods.

Yeah no crap. Helps that there's only 4 cylinders LOL

Seth got the pump out to me today. I think I'll have it tomorrow. All I'm waiting on now is for the injectors to get to Seth and for him to work his magic.

Almost got the engine/trans in the car, but the plastic cased nut inside the subframe for the motor mount fell off, so I had to take a hole saw to it to get it out. Then started drinking and forgot about it. Next day off is monday, so will hopefully get it on all 4 wheels and the engine bolted in. Then all that'll be left is swapping the cluster, plugging in this ridiculous harness, and setting the timing.

I'm going to run the stock tune for a bit until I can figure out some more about that edc suite. I figure even stock, with more pump and injector, it'll pick up some power.

Last edited:
See I'm still learning. I always thought ball bearing. That's why they are so much. I was wrong. TDI club won't know about that car till it's running. But I got my head back for me mk3. Putting it together then selling it for another mk4 alh.

Holy crap. I might need some help with this edc suite stuff. I don't get how a ve pumped engine has soooo many maps LOL I don't even want to imagine what a common rail tune looks like. Hats off to you guys.

Mike, i have the 351 off the riv, and a tiny mitsu turbo, an 11b, (whats cool about that turbo, is everything mitsu framed available up to 42lbs/min will bolt right in with no modifications) roughly 19lb/min with a 6cm turbine that would make a fast spooling pair... Maybe.

I can bring em to worlds (i dont think i will be drinking apple pie, so i'll be able to remember things)

I'd do 350 for the pair and i believe i have lines for the little turbo.

unfortunately, one of the guys that I rent to is behind on rent so I don't have the money I thought I was going to have. I won't be able to drive down. I have to budget out the next couple weeks pretty tight, but when I get the extra cash I will give you a call.

Holy crap. I might need some help with this edc suite stuff. I don't get how a ve pumped engine has soooo many maps LOL I don't even want to imagine what a common rail tune looks like. Hats off to you guys.

There are more maps that EDC suite is not showing you natively :) you have to find them!

Lots of additional values too.

There are 42 timing maps in a common rail.... I want nothing to do with tuning that one :p

There are more maps that EDC suite is not showing you natively :) you have to find them!

Lots of additional values too.

There are 42 timing maps in a common rail.... I want nothing to do with tuning that one :p

Yeah, if I go that route, which I still want to, I might be giving you a call, and maybe some money. LOL

Got the pump back on, somehow ended up with an extra bolt that fits nothing, and a little bracket of some sort, that also fits nothing lol. I'm not even sure at this point if they even went to the pump, or just got mixed up in the bolts bag.

Waiting on injectors now, need to swap rear suspension, put in the new cluster, and get oil lines made up for the turbo. All minor stuff.

The big thing now is the wiring. The 02 engine harness I have does not match up to the '99 harness out of the beetle, and the other larger harness doesn't even match up to the '02 harness thats already in the GTI. The thing thats really bothering me is that plug/box assembly under the cowl. The gassers have 5 multi colored ones, and the tdi's have six. Can't seem to figure out what that sixth plug is for, and how to wire it without hard wiring it. Also, this '02 harness is missing the plugs that go on the 3 water sensors on rear of the block where that giant water neck comes out.

Back