Hadley Air Horns

I like your set up too. How did you decide what brand horns, tank, compressor, etc.. to go with? What web sites did you go to??
Thanks!

Yea, i think i'm gonna have to steal it too. right now i have a small 3 quart tank under the truck. I poked a hole in my 3 gal tank and i had the 3 quart tank sitting there and always said i was gonna get a bigger one, but never have. Now that i see your set up, i think i'm gonna order me a new tank, and i already have the hose reel and spare hose.

6.0kingranch, what compressor do you have?

The compressor is a 1.5hp AirZenith. It has been on the truck for over 17 months with no issues.

Hey guys...It is finally nice enough out in MA to work on the truck since I don't have a garage...I attempted the install this afternoon of these horns but ran out of time. I got hung up on the electrical wiring. The way the setup is designed is for the horns to run inline with the stock horn on the truck. The toggle switch provided in the on position will allow for this to happen, but in the off position it will not. The way this works is to have the vehicle ground go to one of the terminals on the solenoid. The remaining terminal on the solenoid goes to one of the terminals on the toggle. The other terminal on the toggle goes inline with the existing stock horn wire.

The problem is I want to use my stock upfitter switch in the cab instead of the crap one the kit came with...but the upfitter switches only have the power supply as they are grounded through their own system. The question now then comes...how do I make this set up work with only the positive feed from my upfitter switch???

here is the link for the installation instructions:
http://www.hadley-products.com/downloads/H02009A Instructions.pdf

THANKS!!!

I just thought about it for a half hour...and I think it would be impossible to wire it with the upfitter switch and have the same function. You need the inline toggle switch to stop the current from the stock horn wire...where as the upfitter switch only provides or doesn't provide power...it has no ability to stop the currency from the stock horn. Therefore I believe I can only wire the air horns in one of two ways...off the stock horn using the toggle switch provided and having my upfitter switch have no part in the wiring...or use my upfitter switch as the power supply and have the stock horn have nothing to do with the wiring. I personally think it will be more convenient to be able to punch the steering wheel and have the air horns go off than having to reach for a switch...especially when quick reaction is needed

RobD you have mail from me. I have hooked up a few set of horns and can get you running in five minutes. Call me at the number I emailed you.

One option is to use the up fitter switches and connect it to a relay. That way you can send ground, power or just open the circuit (depending on how you wired it) pretty easy.

If you guys can't tell..I do not not much about electrical...so your telling me if I set up a relay...I can use my upfitter switch in replace of the toggle switch supplied...in the on position the upfitter would allow for the airhorns to sound with the stock horn...and in the off position it would restrict it? I don't know how that would work..would appreciate a little more detail

There are two ways to hook up a relay. Normally closed and normally open.

This link below has a really good diagram on how a relay works.
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/relay.swf

In this diagram they are using the switch to supply power. Now if you take the terminal 30 and hook that to a ground, then the relay is supplying a ground to your horns. When you turn your upfitter switches on (i.e. apply power to terminal 85) you would be switching ground from terminal 87a to 87.

According to the Hadley-Products link you posted before step 2 reads as following:
As shown in figure 3 mount toggle switch (item#36) on or under the dash in a location easily accessible to the driver. Connect wire (item#36) from vehicle ground to either solenoid terminal (item#15). Connect other solenoid terminal to either terminal on the toggle switch. Connect remaining toggle switch terminal in line with the existing horn wire using a wire splice connector (item#38). With toggle switch in “off” position, only the vehicles electric horn will operate. With switch in “on” position, air horns and electric horn will be operated.

Ok, so basically what you are doing is adding a ground switch (as you mentioned earlier) which is acting like an interrupter for the circuit.

When you go to hook up your horns, you will do the following:
Connect wire (item#36) from vehicle ground to either solenoid terminal (item#15). Connect other solenoid terminal to terminal 87 on the relay. Connect the terminal 30 on the relay to the existing horn wire using the wire splice connector (item#38). Then you will need to go and purchase some additional wire for the relay. Hook terminal 86 on the relay to the ground. Then run your power from your upfitter switch to terminal 85.

What this does it the following:
When the up fitter switch is off, there will be no power to the relay and the ground signal that is being fed to the terminal 30 will be sending it to the 87a terminal, which in this case is dead. When you turn on your up fitter switch, you will energize the relay, which will connect terminal 30 to terminal 87. This will send the ground connection to the solenoid.

Does any of this make since?

If so, you have two options for hooking up the relay, you can leave it so the air horns always work with your regular horn, and when you flip the up fitter switches on, the air horns won’t work. (if you want it to work this way, then use the terminal 87a instead of 87)

Or you can wire it like I mentioned above and they will only work when the up fitter switch is on.

Thanks buddy - I really appreciate it... do I need to purchase a specific relay?

You need to buy a Bosch relay which is going to be what most are. Just look at the bottom of them and see if there are 5 terminals. O-Relies, NAPA, AutoZone, heck even Wal-Mart may carry them. They are pretty common. It is a little harder to find one with a mounting block, but they are out there.

Some might only have 4, so make sure you look, but 90% of automotive relays are Bosch (in the aftermarket).

Hey Rob,

The directions tell you to tap into the horn wire, not relay. You need to buy a relay to do what I was talking about.

Ya - I figured it out...the horn wire is below the passenger side battery...yellow with a green stripe...in case anybody else needs to reference this.

Thanks a lot tho buddy for the relay wiring instructions...it worked perfect

Hey, just to let you know a dual pole switch that is wired into your horn wire from the back of the fuse block would have worked easier then going all the way into the motor bay. Just FYI. All you needed to do is find the side of the horn fuse that goes to the horn, cut it and run the wire coming off the block to the center of the switch. Once the switch is wired in all you have to do is take the hot from that switch and put one side of the switch to the the horn valve and the other side goes back to the other side of the stock wiring that you cut. That way you can switch it at a monents notice, DMV, cops what ever.

DAFBFD58

He was trying to use his factory upfitter switches and not use another switch. That's why the relay and all of the extra work.

Good info to know though.

I mounted everything outside my framerails. I have a extra 2 gallon tank that im gonna mount behind the hitch. Sould fit between the tire and the hitch.

Attachments

• PICT0231.jpg
    PICT0231.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PICT0233.jpg
    PICT0233.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 6
Ryan - I appreciate the info...and your willingness to help me out...I tried giving you a call actually but got your voicemail...again thanks guys....had a real fun time in town last night :evil

I was at a car show yesterday and the phone was in my truck charging, should have left a message. I saw the missed call about 5 mintes after you called and was not sure if it was you.

Back