he351 spring style wastegate actuator

Why don't you take a minute to introduce yourself then? In the proper section of course. I am curious as to where you got ALL your knowledge and experience from. You work with wade don't you? At least you can spell and have some semblance of grammatical structure in your posts.

The biggest problem is he gives absolutely no supporting evidence to back up anything he says. It's pretty much " what I say is right because I say it is".

Please do.

If it actually worked worth a crap then there would be an OEM that actually uses it.

Think about it:
Exhaust pressure is limited= Slower spoolup
Boost pressure is not controlled= Lower top-end boost, excessive/lacking boost in the rest of the range

That means you had a problem with your actuator or a leak. A non-ECM controlled wastegated should not spike.

Really, exhaust pressure is what spools a charger?

WRONG! Heat spools a charger, pressure is a byproduct;) A spring actuator has proven over and over again to do a better job at regulating boost, and also, as an added benefit, controlling drive pressure as well.

Besides, I could give a chit less what my boost pressure is, I want to control my drive to try and keep the engine breathing....it's easier to get the air in than it is out, so I prefer to worry about the hard part;)

Chris

Yep, this!

All I know is most all the VGT setups also run off drive pressure vs boost because it's smoother control. I've got my stock H1C wastegate, but I'll prolly go over to a spring setup before it's over...

Tormentor aka "the i am right, if you don't believe me just ask me guy" is still posting? Interesting...
Maybe we could get his stuff removed and possibly humble him up a bit?

I thought all the high dollar aftermarket exteranl gates where spring operated?

Not exactly....yes, they have a spring. But most of them use the spring to create a pressure differential between two sides of a diaphragm. Say boost pressure pushing on one side of the spring, drive pressure on the other, and you typically use regulators to control the amount of each it sees to keep the valve open or closed.

You can also use boost on both sides with regulators, or just use spring pressures.

Chris

Really, exhaust pressure is what spools a charger?

WRONG! Heat spools a charger, pressure is a byproduct;)

Chris

It is actually pressure but you're correct in saying pressure is a product of heat in a contained space. I guarantee if you hold a blow torch in an exhaust housing the turbine would be lucky to move.

Spring only gates seem to work pretty well.

and that the spring actuator does in fact work.. Has been on mine for about a year without any trouble.. stocker(spring) over S475 is awesome street/tow setup

Theoretically, pressure differential creating velocity does. Hence the vanes in the turbine wheel. Heat increases the velocity.

But velocity decelerating on the wheel = mass accelerating(deceleration is actually acceleration in opposite direction) which equals force. Force/certain area = pressure. Heat can create pressure, but it goes exactly in that order heat -> pressure. Much of the pressure driving the turbine comes from chemical expansion of the fuel combustion. Just a few moles of liquid fuel creates many many liters of CO2, CO, and water vapor.

Figured I would add my design to the mix, hopefully the adjustments won't be too much per step.. Can elongate the holes if need be..
2012-03-18_16-18-29_76.jpg
[/IMG]

Is this working well for you. Im using a he351 as my little turbo in my twin set, but right know im using the electronic wastgate. I don't really like that. Did we ever get a link to what springs to use and such?

We all just picked random springs i think.. Mine is a brake spring that fit three way i wanted.. I haven't checked drive pressure.but it seems to be working out just fine

We all just picked random springs i think.. Mine is a brake spring that fit three way i wanted.. I haven't checked drive pressure.but it seems to be working out just fine

Thanks i got a whole bunch of old brake springs. Are you running twins? Do you like this better then the oem setup? Is it a lot easier to tune twins?

It worked off the bat. Went to this when i did twins to get my housing where i wanted it.. Haven tuned really but boost on both turbos its pretty much where it needs to be.

It worked off the bat. Went to this when i did twins to get my housing where i wanted it.. Haven tuned really but boost on both turbos its pretty much where it needs to be.

Do you know what psi the he351 is opening? What you running for the big turbo? Just trying to make it a little easier on me. Great thread man.

I ask running in under a4294 with a 1.28 gated housing. i don't exactly know what psi it opens.. They spool together, like the 351 but it keeps on going. truly amazing. I get 35 out of primary and 70 total..

My set up is in my sig. Im almost certain my wastgate isnt opening. High egt, lots of smoke an best i seen was 40psi. Looks like ill be doing this mod very soon.

What i believe happens is the wastegate on secondary opens at set pressure then tries to control it all.. Whereas the spring style hold drive to a certain point...

Back