He351cw over S480 Compound Turbo Setup

Big Blue24

Comp Diesel Sponsor
I've always wanted to try out a more modern compound turbo setup on my daily driver so over the winter break/holidays I removed the older technology HX35/HT60 and then HX35/HT3B setup and built the newest set:
He351cw over S480 w/race cover.

S480twins%201_zpsobx9czna.jpg

S480twins%202_zps9jlwu7kx.jpg

Hot pipe is a cast cobra-head shaped pipe from an HX40 setup on a generator. It has such a sharp turn radius, it works well with the long HX40/HE351 adapter flanges that are commonly available.

S480twins%203_zpstwkch9gm.jpg

S480twins%204_zps76dhr90q.jpg

S480twins%205_zpsnag7jdam.jpg

S480twins%207_zpsxcue7eoc.jpg

S480twins%208_zpsy5hwvvop.jpg

Wastegate controller is a simple ball and spring setup sourced from Ebay for $24.

S480twins%209_zpsxhcbz6eu.jpg

S480twins%2010_zpshucfa25q.jpg

S480twins%2011_zpsjrkpwidq.jpg

S480twins%2012_zpsrvhhxedb.jpg

Overall, the new compound setup spools equal to or faster than the HX35/HT3B/26cm setup. Boost is up about 7-10 psi overall and power increased about 50 HP. It doesn't spool quite as quickly as the HX35/HT60/20cm setup, but the massive topend power difference is well worth the slightly slower spool in the low rpm 12-25 psi range.

The old setup with 18* timing and smaller towing +30 cc delivery valves ran 13.8 @ 98MPH. This new setup with 26* timing, +90cc 7mm delivery valves, and a pusher pump to keep lift pump pressure a little higher ran 12.9 @ 103MPH. It's still dropping fuel pressure in overdrive and definitely losing power and overall boost, but still a substantial power gain.

Is that a flipped factory exhaust manifold with an adapter plate to mount the He351cw onto it?
Does it spool fast enough to still be agile in traffic? What are the specs/measurements on that S480?

What sized plug did you use to rake care of the wastegate solenoid port? And where did you get that cool little boost controller for your wastegate? I've got a HE351cw I am going to toss on my XJ and that'd be nice to adjust pressure with.

What sized plug did you use to rake care of the wastegate solenoid port? And where did you get that cool little boost controller for your wastegate? I've got a HE351cw I am going to toss on my XJ and that'd be nice to adjust pressure with.

Ditto I need one for my 351/472.

Y'aint **** if you don't do a build thread for that.

Y'aint **** if you don't do a build thread for that.

ha ha Well, I think I might just take pictures and then go back and make one. It's been slow since buying a new house that I've been working on a lot. And everyone knows that slow build threads suck!

Ditto I need one for my 351/472.

One easy way to do it is to just cut off the boss and weld it shut. I have done this myself several times. Even makes the housing look a bit better.

Is that a flipped factory exhaust manifold with an adapter plate to mount the He351cw onto it?
Does it spool fast enough to still be agile in traffic? What are the specs/measurements on that S480?

Yes, factory stock exhaust manifold flipped over, with a 3/8" thick spacer, it fits fine without the space but I liked the additional clearance I gained around the big turbo down on the shock tower, frame, and A/C line when spaced up 3/8". This setup is extremely agile in traffic, way better than a stock turbo setup. Essentially this gives you stock throttle response with the airflow to handle a much heavier fuel load in the mid-range and topend so you can make serious horsepower.

The S480 is an S400 frame sized turbo with the 96/88mm turbine wheel with the largest 1.32AR exhaust housing. It has the slowest spooling heavy 8 blade cast compressor wheel currently and I have zero complaints about the spool-up.

The plug is just the factory solenoid that I cut off using a metal cutting wheel in the grinder. I also plugged the one port leading back to the compressor inducer area just in case the orings on the plug/solenoid stump ever leak.

The key search terms for Ebay are: manual boost controller, the exact vendor I used for this one is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NXS-MOTORSPORTS-MANUAL-BOOST-CONTROLLER-MBC-TURBO-CARS-/250305913403?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a4765223b&vxp=mtr

One easy way to do it is to just cut off the boss and weld it shut. I have done this myself several times. Even makes the housing look a bit better.

If I had the ability to weld aluminum, I'd go that route because it would look better!! The one cool thing about using the cut-off factory solenoid is it's removable so I can weld it shut if I ever acquire an aluminum welder.

Great info. Thanks for posting.
I'm planning on building a very similar setup one of these days. Did you support the S480 with brackets you didn't picture or is it hanging off the HE351? Do you measure pressure between the stages on the atmospheric side for tuning purposes?
Forgive my beginner questions, I'm still learning what's all needed for building a compound turbo arrangement.

Great info. Thanks for posting.
I'm planning on building a very similar setup one of these days. Did you support the S480 with brackets you didn't picture or is it hanging off the HE351? Do you measure pressure between the stages on the atmospheric side for tuning purposes?
Forgive my beginner questions, I'm still learning what's all needed for building a compound turbo arrangement.

The S480 is supported with both the heavy duty cast hot pipe, along with a 1" square tube steel angled support that lands on the engine/transmission adapter just above the access holes.

I do have a boost gauge installed that measures boost between stages, so far I've seen a maximum of 35-40 psi in the interstage pipe when overall boost pressure at the intake manifold is 75-80 psi. This is producing right around 600 HP at the tires as it sits and is nowhere close to maxed out. With more tuning and billet FMW compressor(s) and fueling upgrades, my goal for this setup is 800 HP.

Setup looks great. Just out of curiosity what size injector are you running and how are you liking the 7mm DV's compared to your previous ones. Whose compressor wheels would you be looking into? A 12 second daily driver would make me one happy camper for sure!

I'm running a set of 5x.016" VCO injectors. The previous delivery valves were my 055 towing performance valves that add 30 cc's over stock. These 7mm DV's add 70 cc's over stock in the lower rpm range and 90 cc's in the upper rpm range, so far I like them, great throttle response and no noticeable increase in haze/smoke at idle. They do fuel harder so a minor AFC adjustment to slow down the AFC foot was all it took to make them run clean (worry free driving).

I actually already have the billet compressor wheels. I believe both are actually produced by KTS overseas, but both were sourced from domestic suppliers here in the US.

This looks just like what I need! Did you make all the piping?

There isn't much I don't build myself, partially to learn, partially to ensure it's done right, partially because I'm broke and/or cheap, partially because there is satisfaction doing it yourself.....

To answer your question, yes I built the piping myself and no, I'm not a professional welder..... :hehe:

It's looking great, I'm going to start with the he351 and then get a s475 under it one day. I'll probly be hitting you up for another set of DV's and possibly some injectors for my 98 12v!

Will, Would you have a part number and where to get that hot pipe? I'm looking to twin my tow truck someday.

I noticed the Cast Hot pipe too, fits real nice off the CW! Any info on who or where to find one? Is it a storm block? If not, could you share the pics and info on your choice (and why) for the oil drain? Thanks!

Last edited:
Back