HE351VE on a VP44 truck

I would just get an exhaust brake controller. that way you could turn on the exhaust brake and operate it from the brake pedal and it would turn off when the truck idles and then reactivate when the pedal is depressed.
Since I'm putting a six speed Allison in my truck with the tow haul switch, I can have the same switch activate the exhaust brake.

what brake controller? and how does one work?

The way i set mine up, it wouldnt be easy to operate the EB of a brake wire, unless you would use a couple of relays, or a very special switch, ive been thinkering with that idea, but cant come up with soemthing yet.
Im using a little electric motor, that move the rod in and out.
it works just like and electric window, you have to push the button some time to turn the motor till its where you want, and if you push the other button, it turns the other way (exchanges both wire's polarity)
The upside of this is, that it will stay where you leave it, and not move, unlike a door lock motor

if there was a way to make it work with a little solenoid, i think it would work better.... Im thinking about improving it.

There was mentioned a progressive spring earlier, ive been thinking about that too, didnt know such think exists, i was thinking like a governor spring kit (3 dif size springs) cuz it seems like a 15 psi it will open and at 1 or 2 more psi its already fully open... wish it would move much slower.

Talked to fleece today and they told me that they will have a controller out in three weeks and it should be around six hundred. He said that you will have full adjust-ability and an exhaust brake function

as to your exhaust brake, I would get a solenoid off of an existing brake with one of their controllers and you should be set some of them use air pressure and you could use boost pressure to activate it with a solenoid and it would work until boost was gone?

I could see that working but we have a few good examples, we can run these turbos easier and no programming needed. But it's a good idea.

nice work!

So you just chopped the stock VGT and HX35 elbows, and welded the VGT flange up to the HX35 elbow? I like it, I think I'm gonna do that too.

nice work!

So you just chopped the stock VGT and HX35 elbows, and welded the VGT flange up to the HX35 elbow? I like it, I think I'm gonna do that too.

Exactly! i cut just the flange of and it nicely fits over the hx35 elbow-flange, it worked better than i would have thought
The downpipe comes a bit more to the right fender of the truck) since the outlet of the vgt comes out further away from the manifold, but on my truck it worked..

nice video...basically the same design as mine. i really like how it mounts to the T3 rather than dealing with the pita adapter...and the idea for the exhaust brake/spring set up on the actuator.

what is the electric motor for the exhaust brake? (generic?) are you worried about heat from the exhaust eventually frying the electric motor?

as you guys can tell these things are wicked quiet...say by to loud straight pipes and drone

nice video...basically the same design as mine. i really like how it mounts to the T3 rather than dealing with the pita adapter...and the idea for the exhaust brake/spring set up on the actuator.

what is the electric motor for the exhaust brake? (generic?) are you worried about heat from the exhaust eventually frying the electric motor?

as you guys can tell these things are wicked quiet...say by to loud straight pipes and drone

thanks!
I don't know from what the motor is! The mechanic who I got it from said it's for high idle (which would work really good on a 12valve)
yeah I'm worried bout the heat, I wanna relocate further away from the turbine housing eventually when we are done harvesting corn.

Sometimes I miss the loud sound the old turbo made.
But I had lots of drone and noise in the cab since I installed the dual exhaust.
Now w th vgt it's really nice and quiete in the cab! I love that! Also idle at the exhaust is really quiete

i had mine wound up like yours which mostly whistled until it opened around 20psi. i just loosened it up and got back that straight pipe sound at low rpm, but it's as quiet as a 4" mufflered exhaust (like magnaflow quiet). still spools quick, but not as quick. ..and NO DRONE!

now there's no issue with the exhaust brake and the stock valve springs? i wondered if i would have an issue on stock valve springs...i don't know if the 6.7s have heavier duty valve springs or not??

I am collecting everything to install mine. I was also wondering about the stock exhaust springs on my 97. Should I change mine out for heavier springs or will the stockers hold up?

Don't know what do the exhaust brake companies suggest for the 24v trucks? I know 12vs need some 60lb exh valve springs as far as I know..

I did some milage calculations.. The first tank with this turbo I only got 14 mpg but that was really beating on it and making many 0-100 mph runs and some running at top speed...

Next tank I averaged 18 mpg. I never went above lvl 1 on the adrenaline and cruised with rpms under 2000 driving around 60 mph most of the time combined field and highway driving.
I was really expecting 20 mpg I'm gonna find out how it does with a wider open collar setting.. On th turbo..

Thanks!
Here's a video

BTW that video is f'ing awesome! I love the way the EB sounds... I think I am going to steal your idea from you in a way. At least with the direction the 451 moves I can actually mount the EB motor over the compressor housing and pull it in to actuate the EB then push it out to instantly adjust initial housing size for different cruising situations :evil

Hey thanks!

BTW that video is f'ing awesome! I love the way the EB sounds... I think I am going to steal your idea from you in a way. At least with the direction the 451 moves I can actually mount the EB motor over the compressor housing and pull it in to actuate the EB then push it out to instantly adjust initial housing size for different cruising situations :evil

Thats what i need to figure out how to... i like the quiete sound of the turbo being closed down, but you just dont need that much boost cruising around, and like its been said before MPG shold be better with less restriction.... im finding out this tank of fuel how slightly bigger does...

Last edited:
OWWW, my head, I cant stop thinking about it

I was just wondering if the motor could be used with these still, using a pressure switch to activate it, and the brake signal to retard it or brake. Is there a stop switch in the motor, or does it just run till it cant push the lever anymore. Does the motor return to a neutral position, or was that all controlled by the computer. If the motor could be used, wouldn't that stop the barking. Just some of my random thoughts running through my head. Oh and what does the computer measure to decide when to activate the turbo, manifold pressure, rpm's, Just currious how this thing was designed to work.:nail:

Talked to fleece today and they told me that they will have a controller out in three weeks and it should be around six hundred. He said that you will have full adjust-ability and an exhaust brake function

as to your exhaust brake, I would get a solenoid off of an existing brake with one of their controllers and you should be set some of them use air pressure and you could use boost pressure to activate it with a solenoid and it would work until boost was gone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsyhvw_6Do

And here it is :)

The pricing will be cheaper than posted.

Why don't you use a toggle switch to torn it on and a push button starter switch. mount it to the break pedal next to the stop switch so when you push on the breaks it turns the e break on, and if you have a stick put one on the clutch pedal also so when you push it in it shuts off the e break.

Back