Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

I think Chris has a problem everytime I venture to his shop their is either 1 or 2 more parts missing or broke :shake:.
Brandon

I take it the best way to go is a Helix 2 - I have a 12v - 160hp pump w/ 0 plate, modded afc, .5mm del valves and time 18 degrees. 5 x .014 inj's 64/71/14 turbo. couple mnths ported and ringed cylinder head.

Which of the 2 cams would be better for my combo to get lag down better. Right now the bolt on approach seems better for that fact. Only time I seen the gears come off like that is if the cam and gear had oil on when reassembled from doing the gear hsg if the cam was not pulled. Mainly the snout breaks off.

Ph4tty said:
You have to admit, parked for seven months *is* pretty slow :hehe: :hehe:

Well its winter time now, might as well take it slow and maybe add some extra gravy =P

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...I like gravy:D:D

97' CTD said:
I think Chris has a problem everytime I venture to his shop their is either 1 or 2 more parts missing or broke :shake:.
Brandon

What can I say, I have a gift!

With any luck, it will finally be out of the shop this weekend...if I actually work on it:D

Laziness is bad for trucks:D
Chris

Sarge1 said:
I take it the best way to go is a Helix 2 - I have a 12v - 160hp pump w/ 0 plate, modded afc, .5mm del valves and time 18 degrees. 5 x .014 inj's 64/71/14 turbo. couple mnths ported and ringed cylinder head.

Which of the 2 cams would be better for my combo to get lag down better. Right now the bolt on approach seems better for that fact. Only time I seen the gears come off like that is if the cam and gear had oil on when reassembled from doing the gear hsg if the cam was not pulled. Mainly the snout breaks off.

Bulit p-pumps put a lot more load on the camshaft and cause the gear to walk under the best of conditions. Signal's cam gear in the pics above was installed at the factory and never disturbed until he took that pic. He was running a 13mm Stoopid Pump, et voila....

PRattenbury said:
Bulit p-pumps put a lot more load on the camshaft and cause the gear to walk under the best of conditions. Signal's cam gear in the pics above was installed at the factory and never disturbed until he took that pic. He was running a 13mm Stoopid Pump, et voila....
mine is just a stoopid itty bitty 12mm!

Last edited:
I just put a Maxspool 2.5 in my '96 that we just rebuilt. It's AWESOME!! It spools much better, and I have an increase in power through out the band. The only things we did differently when we rebuilt it is this cam and we went to 20 over stock pistons.
I have a Con OFE clutch that wasn't slipping at all before, and now it's really bad. The double disk is on order.
I would recommend this to anyone!

Have somebody used Woodruff performance steet camshaft?

NO FLY-CUT REQUIRED, price -> $350.00

Exactly!!!

DieselDiva said:
I just put a Maxspool 2.5 in my '96 that we just rebuilt. It's AWESOME!! It spools much better, and I have an increase in power through out the band. The only things we did differently when we rebuilt it is this cam and we went to 20 over stock pistons.
I have a Con OFE clutch that wasn't slipping at all before, and now it's really bad. The double disk is on order.
I would recommend this to anyone!

The Maxspool 2.5 will spool you up much better than you ever have been b-4. I was amazed with the affect on the twins. It has to rank as one of the very best investments I made in my truck. Excellent. :cheer:

Sarge1 said:

I'd recommend the MaxxSpool 2, we are very happy with the one we put in our now "retired" tow rig. Our tow rig specs are almost identical to yours, but ours is 5 speed with a tuned 215 pump.

We have the cam thrust plates that are billet here.
This will prevent the gear from walking off. Any of the MaxxSpool cams can be gotten drilled & tapped for an additional fee, call me for more info.

Bobcat698 said:
We have the cam thrust plates that are billet here.
This will prevent the gear from walking off. Any of the MaxxSpool cams can be gotten drilled & tapped for an additional fee, call me for more info.

Are these the bolts that are included with Greg's cams?

I will not buy another cam without a bolt on gear, but I would go much further/deeper then what these suggest! JMO

THEKIDFAN said:
Are these the bolts that are included with Greg's cams?

I will not buy another cam without a bolt on gear, but I would go much further/deeper then what these suggest! JMO

None of the cams I've gotten from Greg have included bolts.

The specs for that cam lock came directly from Haisley's, and I will be using the cam lock pictured on my new motor with billet steel cam.

What size are 2nd gen vs 3rd gen lifters?
I have been told 1st gens have a "foot" of 1.18".
Can larger "foots" be used with these cams?
Sounds like either of these cams will spool about 200-300 rpm sooner?
Would it be safe to assume they will typically lower boost pressure?

GLHS said:
What size are 2nd gen vs 3rd gen lifters?
I have been told 1st gens have a "foot" of 1.18".
Can larger "foots" be used with these cams?
Sounds like either of these cams will spool about 200-300 rpm sooner?
Would it be safe to assume they will typically lower boost pressure?

I'll measure tonite but the CR lifter foot is alot bigger then the 12v 24v tappets

I believe the CR lifters are 1.5" diameter, it will allow you to run a steeper profile on the camshaft lobe. IIRC. I really want a MaxSpool but I have other thing that need attention first. lol

Holy schmokes...two hours later and I still don't know any more about either of the cams...

I've got messages out to greg and also to don...so I guess I'll see soon who wants to enlighten me on their cam and possibly sell another cam...

Holy schmokes...two hours later and I still don't know any more about either of the cams...

I've got messages out to greg and also to don...so I guess I'll see soon who wants to enlighten me on their cam and possibly sell another cam...
Alternatively you could PM the original poster and see which one he likes better. He's run both in the same engine, dyno'd both and then chose the better one for his new engine.

Alternatively you could PM the original poster and see which one he likes better. He's run both in the same engine, dyno'd both and then chose the better one for his new engine.

:doh:...guess that would be a better way to find out a slightly less biased opinion...thanks for the advice

Back