high powered trucks in northern winters

TheBullRoars

I'm highly advised to buy a beater and park the truck for the winter. Currently my dd and only vehicle. Its a beast and I love driving it.

With the money id spend on a car, tires, insurance etc.. my mind is saying to put the money into the suspension etc to make it winter worthy and keep driving it.

The truck is 4x4 and I'm in Wisconsin.

If I stay out of boost is it an alright idea to keep driving it every day?

How high powered are we talking?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Maybe you should fill out your signature so we know what you actually have?

What makes your truck so special that you are afraid to drive it in the cold? I drove around a 600 horse truck for the last 2 winters with no issues... Just gotta know how to drive when the conditions get ****ty, and make sure you have a damn good block heater

FWIW, I plow snow all will winter long with my 01, usually on my max effort tune. Got 3 seasons on it so far.

It would help to know more about what the OP has.
Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Maybe you should fill out your signature so we know what you actually have?

What makes your truck so special that you are afraid to drive it in the cold? I drove around a 600 horse truck for the last 2 winters with no issues... Just gotta know how to drive when the conditions get ****ty, and make sure you have a damn good block heater

I was asking for experiences like yours

I don't like putting out my combo. Just personal preference.. but basically a bigger single and a lot of fuel. Governer springs are set up to fuel hard but makes for a touchy throttle. Steering/ wandering is bad right now but have a full borgeson setup to put in.. and take the lift out and replace the shocks. Thing needs a lower center of gravity bad

If you think you have a super duper secret squirrel setup, doubtful. Probably been done before.

I drive my Dodge every day in the winter. Around 450hp. Hell last winter I was towing a 11k lb tractor and blade in our worst snow storm. All depends on how you drive it.

I'm hoping to put down 700/1500 when I dyno. Obviously i don't drive around pegging the boost gauge

Last edited:
Grid heater was deleted by previous owner. I can park in my garage but at work it would sit in the lot til early morning when i leave

So put a grid heater back in for the winter and drive that sucker. I used to DD mine all year at 700 hp back home no problem. Ice on the blacktop for 7 months of the year there. If you can manage to modulate your throttle with your foot you'll be fine.

I had my truck in the UP for five years. If you can drive, you'll be just fine. Especially with a large single. I bet driving a billet 57 would be WAY harder.

I was (and still am) on 37's with a home made lift. Build yourself a solid track bar, get that new linkage (drag link, tire rods) on, and stop being a girl.

IDK where in WI you are but in Houghton, MI the snow and ice stays all winter and you barely ever see street. I would leave her in 4WD all the time unless my sled was in the back. Just rebuild that front driveshaft every other year or so. (about $250 done right with new everything)

Also, I NEVER plugged my truck in. I had the Banks dual grid heater (which I believe puts out the same or maybe barely more heat that the stock one), two good batteries (less than three year old red tops), and only 14deg timing (probably could have been higher, but whatever). Run Synthetic. And if you have enough juice to hit the grid heaters three times and then crank (which you should), then you will be fine cold starting in -20deg weather.

Get your damn steering right though. Messing around with a powerful truck and not being able to steer it is worse that drunk driving IMO...

And I agree that I doubt you would blow anyone's mind with your secret setup, it just makes it harder to help.

Not mind blowing. I was asking about everybody else and their experiences in their trucks. This thread isn't about mine.

As for being a girl, I can throw a skirt on for you, handsome. But I'm not cheap

Being that the concern is driving in snow, your post about your tdi in snow makes no sense..

A swing and a miss

Cute voluntary display of insecurity, though. Seriously adorable

Last edited:
Being that the concern is driving in snow, your post about your tdi in snow makes no sense..

A swing and a miss

Cute voluntary display of insecurity, though. Seriously adorable

on the contrary it makes perfect sense. Considering your attitude, thread, secret squirrel parts, and need for validation of your awesomeness, the likely hood of driving circles around you with your 7000000hp 4x4 is very likely.

Back