high powered trucks in northern winters

Sub'd for giggles when his big single turns out to be a 62!

the moment when you notice... everyone is about to talk chit to you... pull the girl card even if your not.... this is the internet!!!

Hoping for 700 isn't that impressive. My DD is 600hp and I have no grid heaters OR glow plugs. LOL

I'm hoping to not bend any more rods, or in more recent cases, have a stuck injector take out the motor.

2 Reasons I stopped daily driving my truck at ~750whp.

1. Bought a TDI.... Cheaper and less of a care if it gets totaled
2. Fuking tired of cleaning salt off every part under the truck to keep it from rusting day in day out. That right saves tons of money in washes and time to justify the TDI.

I had to un-winterize the truck one winter due to a TDI issue. Forgot how much fun 4x4 is over FWD. Still doesn't matter over all, it's snow, just go slow and accurate.

I sold the A/T wheels and tires, but If I put some winter tires on the truck, even at over 1000whp it would be fine in the snow and ice. Nitto 420's, not so much tho.

My girlfriend daily drove her common rail at 600hp in the winter with no issues. Truck had an Espar diesel fired block heater on it which really helped with starting at -40. Blizzak winter tires also made a big difference in traction and handling.

My girlfriend daily drove her common rail at 600hp in the winter with no issues. Truck had an Espar diesel fired block heater on it which really helped with starting at -40. Blizzak winter tires also made a big difference in traction and handling.

Blizzak's for the freaking WIN! Put them on both TDI's after a few winters of highway tires. They are like little race cars in comparison. Most 4x4's couldn't keep up from stoplight to stop light.

Blizzak's for the freaking WIN! Put them on both TDI's after a few winters of highway tires. They are like little race cars in comparison. Most 4x4's couldn't keep up from stoplight to stop light.

Yes sir! Well worth the money.

I daily drove my 800 hp p pumped 24v for 2 years, the winters were definatly a tough time. Im from MA, so the winters here are pretty moderate. With 14:1 pistons, i would have to keep the thing plugged in if i wanted it to start in the morning. I also had no heater grids for a good part of that time

I daily drove my 800 hp p pumped 24v for 2 years, the winters were definatly a tough time. Im from MA, so the winters here are pretty moderate. With 14:1 pistons, i would have to keep the thing plugged in if i wanted it to start in the morning. I also had no heater grids for a good part of that time

I see you're from Brewster?? I know this is off topic but do I know you??

Edit: Don't know you but know of you. Carry on sir.

Last edited:
i was in N. Idaho and it was only down into the teen's. i did 992hp in a 2wd std cab duelly, anything over about 4'' of fresh snow it wasnt doin much till i threw some chains on it. i drove @ 600hp for a couple winters and only threw chains a few times

i was at 600hp/28° and 992/32° either way with a twin ran style intake and no heaters it was 1/4 can of either under 50° and below freezing it was 1/2-3/4 can to start it when cold

I had a tough time a while back driving my 450hp truck 200 miles home in the middle of a snow storm. The truck would get side ways every time the trans shifted with a 1' of snow on the ground and wipers turning to ice cycles made it hard. Never had an issue with it not starting though.

You have to watch them super secret parts, kind of like the guys with a 400 horsepower tuner. Its most likely a high school kid that is estimating around 300 horsepower to high on his guess. Lets see the dyno sheet and then talk chit

Having a tight posi in the rear does suck in 2wd in just a little bit of snow.

You have to watch them super secret parts, kind of like the guys with a 400 horsepower tuner. Its most likely a high school kid that is estimating around 300 horsepower to high on his guess. Lets see the dyno sheet and then talk chit

Coming from someone with a truck that has an 8" lift and nothing more than efi live? Alrighty then....

Back