Higher Egt's after 178/208 Cam install

Rhett24

I drove my truck for the first time today after the cam install. Higher egt's and more smoke. Even on tow tune the egts climbed to 1100 during a daily driving leaving a stop sign. before the cam there was no smoke and egt's would only get to 850-900 during take off. Cruising egt's are higher also. What would cause this. I've only read that cams reduce smoke and lower egt's. Cruising egt's before were 600-625 now they are 800ish.

Truck is early 2004, 60% injectors, s366 on steed 2nd gen, dual stock pumps, and HP tuned. Airdog 165. studs. springs and pushrods. new tappets as well.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Last edited:
It was set at factory spec. The valve are also set at .10 and .20

Last edited:
That's what I thought but no boots are good and tight

Last edited:
I put a 188/220 in my 91.5 couple years ago and had the exact same problems. Higher egt,higher boost, slower spool, more smoke.I also went from stock to a .020 head gasket and a few people told me that was my problem. I don't know what it was because I only got 1500 miles or so on it and my engine started knocking. It was full of metal and scored cylinders, likely because I didn't get oil to the cam journals quickly enough on startup.

The cam was suppose to be installed exactly like factory. And it was. What do you mean by degreeing the cam in. If it was installed like it was suppose too?

My 178/208 seems to be the same way. Intake centerline ended up being half a degree away from reccomended when I degreed it in. But it was on a fresh build so I didn't have a stock baseline to compare from. Just seemed like with my charger combination I'm running it should be like that.

Could it be the tuning needing to be adjusted? I've been driving it on my tow tune and noticed the turbo stutters almost every time now while accelerating (daily driving).

Double checked for boost leaks again today and nothing. Like I said before the cam swap everything was perfect now after the cam high egts and more smoke while accelerating. I did notice 3 manifold bolts loose #1,#5,#6. Doesn't make any sense though why these would cause the problem now when it worked just fine before. Only thing I can think of is the cam lobes are bad or the tuning needs to be adjusted.

Back