homebuilt Injection Pump Test Stand

not enoughsmoke

floatin in tha gulf
This Is What happens when you have maching equipment and to much time on your hands at work
This is our Unit Injection pump test stand
Chase

IMAG0258_zpsab0e582a.jpg

IMAG0260_zpsf9b9b5f7.jpg

IMAG0259_zpsfd744f2f.jpg

I am kinda curious how a pump stand starts and stops the fluid flow so that it only catches 1000 cycles, anybody know?

I am kinda curious how a pump stand starts and stops the fluid flow so that it only catches 1000 cycles, anybody know?
not sure I follow you the engine runs at 1000rpms and the pump stays at 500rpms.
What's the cam made out of?
Its a split cam for our engine

don't know, but if it hits 1001 cycles it might explode!
at 20rpm i highly doubt anything will explode

Did you go through all that coffee while building this???
Not a Drop I dont drink coffee

What I am meaning is that most pumps are rated at ???cc. Usually means that's how much flow per 1000 cycles or strokes what ever. I'm just curious how a stand counts the strokes and meters the fluid.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

Might put a prox sensor by the cam and use a PLC to shut it down at 1k cycles.

What I am meaning is that most pumps are rated at ???cc. Usually means that's how much flow per 1000 cycles or strokes what ever. I'm just curious how a stand counts the strokes and meters the fluid.

yea we have not got that far yet
Might put a prox sensor by the cam and use a PLC to shut it down at 1k cycles.

:umno: not gonna put anymore electronics or electrical
we are following the K.I.S.S. metheod

Only way to successfully get repeated results.

The ones we use at work last a couple hundred thousand cycles.

Unless you want a mechanical counter but i dont see that lasting a long time

The counting part I pretty well had my mind around but its the fluid side of shutting it off I was curious about.

Just curious, what type of engine?

I have rebuilt many of those pumps in my day for Stork 240's and 280's. Not exactly the same but very close.

How many of the alignment pins have you sheared inside trying to get the barrel lined up?:doh:

Only way to successfully get repeated results.

The ones we use at work last a couple hundred thousand cycles.

Unless you want a mechanical counter but i dont see that lasting a long time
Well our company sends the pumps to a place in miami that rebuilds them but they do not calibrate them like a Injection pump shop does. They also let them rebuild our engine So when it fails they can point the finger at them.They are not technicans But are parts exchangers. We are trying to see how bad our so called rebuilt pumps are V.S. a brand new bosch pumps.After testing they are of a pretty good bit however we are still testing and playing with it

The counting part I pretty well had my mind around but its the fluid side of shutting it off I was curious about.

each pump has its own calibrated rack
Just curious, what type of engine?

I have rebuilt many of those pumps in my day for Stork 240's and 280's. Not exactly the same but very close.

How many of the alignment pins have you sheared inside trying to get the barrel lined up?:doh:

The engine is a german MAK V12
since I have been here I think we have had 4 pumps replaced cause of the pins there are 72 pumps.We were told the pump test stand was $70k so we decide to build our own mainly cause one of the engineer said it cant be done

The engine is a german MAK V12 since I have been here I think we have had 4 pumps replaced cause of the pins there are 72 pumps.We were told the pump test stand was $70k so we decide to build our own mainly cause one of the engineer said it cant be done[/QUOTE said:
I have heard they were rather expensive. We were thinking to try to make one when I worked for Wartsila but those Bosch pumps were the only ones that really needed it becuase of that locating pin. Everytime we had a new guy assemble a batch of pumps there would be at least half where the pin was sheared off. I always thought I was pretty good at doing them and even I sheared a couple... Gues that is why they moved me out of the field and into the office.LOL

I have heard they were rather expensive. We were thinking to try to make one when I worked for Wartsila but those Bosch pumps were the only ones that really needed it becuase of that locating pin. Everytime we had a new guy assemble a batch of pumps there would be at least half where the pin was sheared off. I always thought I was pretty good at doing them and even I sheared a couple... Gues that is why they moved me out of the field and into the office.LOL

There was talk of replacing the engines with wartsilla but it wont happen now
I have rebuilt a couple of pumps non of the pins broke on mine. However the other engineer was so graceful :hehe:

There was talk of replacing the engines with wartsilla but it wont happen now
I have rebuilt a couple of pumps non of the pins broke on mine. However the other engineer was so graceful :hehe:

I must have rebuild 100 of those pumps. Maybe sheard the pin on 6 or 7. Everytime the guy doing the calibration told me I would always ask "how much did I miss by?" He would always say "it soesn't matter the pin is broke". LMAO!

I watched billet Sigmas being tested one day at CDS.

I can't remember how they stopped them on a dime but they did, and for those size pumps, they use 100 ish cycles and the burettes fill fast!

Maybe a clutched setup on the drive motor? The biggest thing that surprised me was how much noise they made.

Back