How much water?

morkable

Just Over Broke
So after talking to a few people, I think that I should put water injection on my truck when I get the engine back together. How do I decide how much water I am going to need? I will also be running some nitrous (to be determined as to how much later) Also I guess depending on how much water a person needs would determine what kit to go with?

depends on where the nozzles are going to placed and what psi you are going to be running. I am running 5 small nozzles into the intake running pointed at the cylinders. witha small 250 psi pump system on at 8 psi and full on at 20 psi seems to work very well

More pressure and better spray pattern will get the same cooling with less water.

My little stock engine has no problem with 2/3 GPM but I don't see additional results over 1/2 GPM.

So after talking to a few people, I think that I should put water injection on my truck when I get the engine back together. How do I decide how much water I am going to need? I will also be running some nitrous (to be determined as to how much later) Also I guess depending on how much water a person needs would determine what kit to go with?

If I remember right you were thinking of pulling the charge air cooler this time and piping direct? Water will be mandatory in that case.

If I had all winter to work at this I'd really think about two stages of water to air, one for after the primary and secondary. Run a ice water tank.

I know adding weight is always a no-no for the racers and the net gain has to pay right.....the extra hp gained from the cool dry air, over the weight added to get it.

The thing with water, wet air is LESS dense than dry air. Your displacing oxygen with it, so if its possible to get by without it your ahead.

Something to think about....plus you drag racers are only in it for 10 seconds.......

Thats what I am thinking.. so maybe the ammount of water that a snow kit puts out would be enough?

How much water do you think I would need Will? I am going to be moving massive ammounts of air, and spraying nitrous also...

just like with anything else you have to tune what you have to the engine combo....i've used the snow kits with good success it will cool well enough for about 1000hp that i know.

probably more with nitrous, but then again i dont make any more than 80 psi even with twins....so that may be a factor?

How much water do you think I would need Will? I am going to be moving massive ammounts of air, and spraying nitrous also...

I have a big electric water kit...like a 800psi kit from a sled puller....that would do it.....

Chris

I would think that the more air you push (in volume not pressure) the less water you would need on a short run. Also nitrous does provide a cooling effect, I have proven this over and over. BUT I have never played with water before, so I just have no idea how to even calculate how much I might need,, in my mind I shouldnt need huge ammounts, not like a sled puller would (as in they will really heat soak an engine for 30 or 40 seconds or more,, whereas I am only pushing the engine for 10 seconds.. I may be way off base here and please dont hesitate to correct me if I am wrong

LOL Chris that sounds like it would water down the track if I wanted,, LOL. Are you selling it,, if you are how much?

I didn't actually run my snow kit, but tried my running my water injection at 250 psi through the snow nozzles and my egt's don't budge. Has to be better than without....700-800 psi and I can pull them down to 1350 as long as I'm on the water.

Want a snow stage 3 kit cheap?

Do you think it would be enough Chris? How much would you want?

LOL Chris that sounds like it would water down the track if I wanted,, LOL. Are you selling it,, if you are how much?

Sure...I'll shoot you a PM

I didn't actually run my snow kit, but tried my running my water injection at 250 psi through the snow nozzles and my egt's don't budge. Has to be better than without....700-800 psi and I can pull them down to 1350 as long as I'm on the water.

Want a snow stage 3 kit cheap?

Do you think it would be enough Chris? How much would you want?

Is his name Chris too??

Chris :D:D

I talked to Chance at Devil's own. i think they are a sponsor here now, anyways very informative and is on his **** when it comes to water injection. I will hopefully be trying my kit out very soon. I did 4 nozzles in the bottom of the plenum, progressive controller, big lines. I too have twins and tons of fuel for this build. They are a hell of alot cheaper than snow,ats,aem,etc...

the new style snow pump flows a lot more than the old one does, tw 625 nozzles should net you some visable results, run pure water. I bought a ro unit for the sink and can make a gallon of pure water in 6 minutes. I noticed about a 200 degree drop with pure water, thats 200 below what I was seeing running -20 windshield washer fluid. true you got me beat by hp, I am at 600 or so. if the pump seems like it is not doing enough, you can adjust it for more output with an allen key. I have mine set to come on at 20 psi boost, full on at 50 psi. System is normally on, only shut it off when I am low on water.

Yeah...Chris too...

Like I said, I'm running 3 625 nozzles and at only 250 psi with my big pump it don't pull the egt's down at all, zilch. But it HAS to be better than none. Same nozzles at 700-800 psi does the trick. System is only on when its on kill.

Really don't think the kit I have will cut it, maybe a 500-600hp.

Kevin, I had that right your not going to be running a charge air cooler?

Last edited:
Yeah...Chris too...

Like I said, I'm running 3 625 nozzles and at only 250 psi with my big pump it don't pull the egt's down at all, zilch. But it HAS to be better than none. Same nozzles at 700-800 psi does the trick. System is only on when its on kill.

Really don't think the kit I have will cut it, maybe a 500-600hp.

Kevin, I had that right your not going to be running a charge air cooler?

i think that 3 625 nozzels are a bit much for the 250psi pump, at least it was back in 07 when i tried to use that size pump and nozzels....i went back to two 625's and a 375 and it worked out much better,accually ended up with just two, but my combo used nitrous at the time too. cant remember all the details but the water needs to atomize and if the psi drop is too much the atomization will drop as well and the cooling affect.

Back