How to rebuild a G56?

Cummin_Get_Some

diesel fanatic
Well just broke my second g56 last night..:bang. Just driving this time no dumb ****.. Shifted into 4th rolled into it and bang!! No more forth gear all other gears working fine but lots of noise in the tranny. Last time it was every gear but 5th.

So is there any directions out there how to rebuild or at least tear apart this pos g56? If I can get it apart I'm hoping I could just remove 4th gear somehow and just have a 5spd until I find a cheap tranny.

Just researched what your talking about. I'm more in the just get it fixed and back to stock rather then spending another $5k on a standard. Do you know where I can find some info on how to disasemble/rebuild/assemble it?

Heck just go built auto and never look back.I just bought an 05 and it's stock,but not for long......

just get it fixed and back to stock rather then spending another $5k on a standard.

You're well on your way there already!

So, you shelled 4th gear (6th is also common with built CTDs) - you need a new 4th mainshaft gear (~$450), new countershaft (only available as a complete assembly ~$1250-$1550, depending on whether you can get a later design with lower OD), R&R tranny + teardown, repair & assembly... average cost to heal a roached G56 runs $3K.

Metallurgical mods are less than $1K, and make sense if the case already has to be cracked - allows you to use seasoned parts as well, since the new MB stuff is less than ideal anyway.

Tork Shield is good insurance before the tranny's busted - becomes an even better post-carnage fix.

Running the proper lube is a no-brainer, and something every G56 needs... Stop filling your manual gearbox with ATF! :badidea:

Heck just go built auto and never look back.I just bought an 05 and it's stock,but not for long......

I was just pondering this a couple weeks ago, but decided if I ever want to get rid of the truck that would make it practically worthless to 99% of people. I was going to go with a 47rh.. I'll probably find another used g56 and throw in it, strip the truck and sell it. Id like to have a dmax zf-6 in it but don't have the funds to spend for the adapter plate, and adapting the transfer case.

Think I just need to go back to the V8 side of life.. this truck has put me through more hell then all my other vehciles combined.

Balsley may have a few used g-56 and nv5600 maybe. I broke my bellhousing recently $800 and then two weeks later lost 6th both gears which was $1300 parts and labor. So the nv 5600's still break. You put 1000 ft lbs to any light duty tranny daily and eventually it will break. I saw you sled pull , I think it was at smithton hole early this year, you had the front wheels off the ground and stayed in it hopping so you aren't exactly easy on the truck. HAHAA

Lol yeah.. First time I've ever had a truck hop on me. And it's did it everytime since. I really just wanna find another used g56 and throw in it, strip it and sell it. Get me another dmax and stay simple with it.

I have the Gorilla56 and its been holding my power at 838 and 1691. At the track I leave at 40 psi.... my friend runs the Gorilla Juice (fluid) and it shifts a lot smoother and quicker.

call john at p co trans. very reasonable prices 329 1212. hes not terribly busy or wasn't a few days ago.

They say that the shafts are not serviceable. But they are here's what
you need to do. Find someone eles that broke 2nd gear or something and
ask for there main and counter shafts find a 150 ton press and have them press your main shaft apart and the other one take the 4th gear off and
use it on yours. It takes alot of pressure and skill from the press
operator but it works

What are you going to do with the old tranny?

Well the last one I think I sold it. It's gone but still haven't seen the money yet.. And this one I'll try and get it fixed, but if I can find another tranny cheaper then a rebuild I'll go that route and sell this one.

ask for there main and counter shafts find a 150 ton press and have them press your main shaft apart and the other one take the 4th gear off and
operator but it works

So I need both he gear and another countershaft? Wouldn't my counter still be ok if I still have all my other gears?
My last tranny every gear but fifth came out. Probably wouldn't be able to make one complete out of the two broken ones though right?

operator but it works

Its not that they are not serviceable, its just they wont sell parts separately. Like XLR8R said you have to buy the shaft as an assy. Why people like these transmissions I will never know. The cases are weak, too low geared, and retarded expensive to fix. Just get a NV5600 or auto. IMO

Gus, I told you my dually is getting a Fuller Eaton. Doubt You'll ever break one of these! Even the way you truck pull!!!!!:hehe: However I cant speak the same for the rest of your drivetrain!

Gus, I told you my dually is getting a Fuller Eaton. Doubt You'll ever break one of these! Even the way you truck pull!!!!!:hehe: However I cant speak the same for the rest of your drivetrain!

Damn ole dually ain't gonna break sh!t.. Can't even break tires loose!! Lol:poke:

You buy an eaton and I'll figure out someway to put in it, Stacy.

Back