I got a question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The missing link is a fail safe for the "believers". Fact is no fossil or carbon sample can prove or disprove the intelligence of early man. The "missing link" could have been a tribe of monkeys overlooked long ago. But as far as I am concerned I have seen the missing link at a sled pull in Pa.

The missing link is a fail safe for the "believers". Fact is no fossil or carbon sample can prove or disprove the intelligence of early man. The "missing link" could have been a tribe of monkeys overlooked long ago. But as far as I am concerned I have seen the missing link at a sled pull in Pa.

I will accept that answer....but you do know we have unfinished biz on those Pyramids right? Tell me again how they are at the center of what?

This is a thread about Questions and the search for Knowledge

But as far as I am concerned I have seen the missing link at a sled pull in Pa.

Weird, because I was fairly certain Baltimore Bravens fans would fit the missing link category quite nicely...perhaps you are correct, Neanderthal fits them better!!!:kick:

I have been reading this thread and wondering to myself what I could say that would make sense to the non believers that think us believers are cooks, well on the way to work everymorning I use my 30 minute commute to the shop to pray and have my morning devotion with the Man upstairs, so I asked for the right words and wisdom that I could say that would make sound sense to those reading. So I click on CompD like I do first thing every morning and read the daily devotionals that GoldDusters post every morning and lo and behold the perfect post to describe why us believers believe what we do.
I tried to be happy making money and I still felt a void, I tried racing and while fun still left a void and I have tried pretty much everything most others have to try and be happy only to find that one truly is not happy till you have found God, the drawback if you will is that once you have found God and truly believe in him that everything else in this world becomes a second form of satisfaction. I could write a book on my life and why it is a miracle that I can even sit here and type this, but for now you will have to take my word for it that God has a plan for all of us, if we will simply let him in.

Read: Isaiah 55:1-6
Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? —Isaiah 55:2
Bible in a year:
1 Kings 10-11; Luke 21:20-38When it comes to jigsaw puzzles, we all know that to enjoy a satisfying outcome you need all the pieces. In many ways, life is like that. We spend our days putting it together, hoping to create a complete picture out of all the scattered parts.

Yet sometimes it seems like a piece is missing. Perhaps we’ve been pursuing the wrong pieces to the puzzle. Even though we may know that life without God at the center is a life that has lost the most important piece, do we live as though He isn’t particularly relevant? And even though we may attend church regularly, is He the throbbing center of our lives? Sometimes we grow accustomed to feeling distant from God. This makes it easier to sin, complicating the sense that something important is missing.

But no matter how far we may drift from God, He wants us near. He appealed to His people through the prophet Isaiah: “Why do you spend money for what is not bread, and your wages for what does not satisfy? Listen carefully to Me, and eat what is good, and let your soul delight itself in abundance” (Isa. 55:2).

If something is missing in your life, remember that God is the only One who can fully and abundantly satisfy you. Let Him complete the picture of your life.

The God-shaped void within our heart
Cannot be filled by treasure;
It’s only God who satisfies
In ways we cannot measure. —Sper

There’s a longing in every heart that only Jesus can satisfy.

One thing i think is neat; could you have a thread like this on any other diesel site?

I dont think so.

Its pretty F'ing cool we can all gather around as free men and talk like Socrates and Plato.

search for TRUTH, search for KNOWLEDGE

When i presented the Diesels for Christ idea, i put it on all the forums and CompD was most responsive and willing to work with us!

first off, i dont need your opinion, i believe what i believe, pick it apart and try and prove me wrong, it wont happen, it is what it is.

The difference between us, is that what I understand to be true is based on objective observation by myself and that made by others. What you choose to believe is based solely on hearsay written in a book by other men, which is in contradiction to the very observable evidence I base my understanding of the universe on. And the subject matter written in the book you choose to base your world view on cannot be tested nor validated through any amount of observation nor experimentation as everything I have suggested in this thread most certainly has been.

i do belive in evolution TO AN EXTENT. the earth and everything on it didnt just happen with a big bang and humans did not evolve from monkeys. BUT over the course of millions of years, things have changed adapted to the environment in which they live.

You either understand it, or you don't. If you understand it then it's very simple to see how it works from start to finish. The only thing that might sway you back toward metaphysics again would be the question of..... how did it start then. To which I can confidently say, I don't know. But to which you must fill in an answer to no matter what, even if that answer happens to be a load of crap. I happen to be capable of accepting the fact that I don't know.

Adam was created in god's image, a HUMAN BEING, we are all decendants of Adam and Eve, HUMAN BEINGS.

Again, this is the exact same point I made before. I'll try again here. But if the Human lineage started with Adam, at the species Homo Sapien then how on earth do you explain the 10 or so observed species of humans in our evolutionary history? Are you suggesting that Adam was like you and I, or are you suggesting that Adam was the first species in the line "Homo" from which the evolutionary path eventually led to the current Homo Sapien? If so, how do you know that our definition of "human" was the same as God's? Why should Homo Habilis be any more special than anything previous? You realize that each of these "steps" is really just a point in a smooth evolutionary process where we have found a fossil of sufficient change and name it right? The fossils don't actually represent huge jumps in evolution. The evolution was smooth and involved millions of years worth of tiny little changes. It's no different than taking your computer and in the paint program starting with red, and then altering the color with the little sliders until you get orange. At some point you will decide that it is "orange"..... but did the color just magically jump from red to orange? Of course not. It slowly and smoothly changed, one little movement at a time.

What you're saying here is that humans, as you and I (the color orange) were created by an omnipotent creature.

And what I'm trying to convey to you is that since we have clear evidence that the humans we see today have followed a long and rather well defined evolutionary path over 2 million years old beginning with homo habilis, which not coincidentally was shorter with longer arms. And not coincidentally each subsequent fossil (subsequent in terms of cronology in age, not time found by modern humans) shows humans with taller, more stature, marked by Homo Erectus which marks the begining of the walking on the rear legs in an upright stature as opposed to walking primarily on both arms and legs as the previous species did. We also see larger and larger brains in subsequent species right up to present with us, the Homo Sapien.

So you see, you saying that we just popped into existence, (the color orange) is absurd considering that what you see above is the equivalent of a video of the change from a species with small brains, short stature and that walks on arms and legs (the color red) to the present day humans (the color orange) right in front of us.

So to say we were created (we, being the latter) right out of think air is insane.

The pivotal concept to capture here is that observable, objective evidence shows all this. Not my opinion, and not the words of men. Physical reality.

So again, I ask you, if God made Adam as the first "man" and he did so in his own image, then was Adam Homo Habilis, or was he an Ape...... or was he a single-celled organism???

If we want to nit-pick that same story also tells us that God removed a rib from Adam to make Eve. Yet we can plainly see that man and woman both have the same even number of ribs.

It should be clear that man got the story wrong. It contradicts reality, and it's very childish to be honest. Which is the most likely reason the story has survived so well. Ease of audience acceptance.

If you're speaking to an audience that can't count, can't write and can't reason well because of their primitive existence, you can't very well start talking in depth about evolution now can you?

So what makes you think that God could have captured that audience with concepts they couldn't grasp?

Obviously the message was either misunderstood by man, or was tailored for it's intended audience and dumbed down appropriately.

and if you dont believe what i have said, great. i dont need you to validate my beliefs

Good, because that's impossible.

Last edited:
So Charles,Are you saying if science cant prove it it cant be?

Absolutely not.

I'm saying if observable evidence available contradicts an explanation, then the explanation is clearly in error.

The only advantage science has in that respect is the fact that the scientific method, by definition, will never produce a situation where existing evidence in opposition to an explanation will be ignored or otherwise rejected, not on the basis of invalidity, but instead simply because the data doesn't "fit" with what has been proposed.

Science will always yield to better explanation as opposed to fiercely grasping to incorrect explanation for no other reason than to arrogantly refuse admitting even the possibility of error.

To the OP:

I read back through the book I suggested that you read this weekend and you're right. The red giants did explode at Fe. The remaining heavier elements were formed in the supernovas that followed by neutron irradiation through the "r" process far beyond the belt of stable neutron/proton pairings.

One other thing I have to ask...

You said that you will not speak of these sorts of things to your grandchildren, won't bring it up in certain contexts, so on and so forth.

Now while that is a sound plan, and should serve you well, I can't help but pose a point of discussion for that.

You mention the above undoubtedly for the reason of allowing others to take part in the sorts of things that you cannot do earnestly for reasons of your own enlightenment about your surroundings. Your own knowledge if you will. You would rather give others the chance to be blissfully ignorant than to have them faced with the task of either withholding their own thoughts for the sake of social bonds, else become an outcast from mainstream society.

Here's my question. What is wrong with the world when you have to fear knowledge? Seriously? What has gone so terribly wrong when to be exposed to the facts of our world renders you incapable of genuinely accepting mainstream culture?

If you have to shield yourself from knowledge in order to accept the "truth" then it's quite obvious that the "truth" being protected is not correct. As no amount of understanding, experimentation nor observation can EVER show to be false what is really true. So to have to hide from observation and to have to limit your inquisitiveness else find something to be false realy only tells you one thing. You're trying to believe a lie. And desperately so.

The sad reality is that you're not alone in that task. I have purposefully withheld explanation and information I had at my disposal from family members on topics such as this solely for the purpose of not even taking the chance of disrupting their blissful acceptance of religion, as it seems to make them happy. And as long as health and happiness are being accomplished, I'm willing to silence my screams for TRUTH..... and allow them to enjoy their own way.

Now on a public forum..... I will voice what I withhold in other contexts.

Science will always yield to better explanation as opposed to fiercely grasping to incorrect explanation for no other reason than to arrogantly refuse admitting even the possibility of error.

UNLESS, somebody is distorting the science for political or monetary gain- there again, man
screws up the message of truth.

UNLESS, somebody is distorting the science for political or monetary gain- there again, man
screws up the message of truth.

Man is the problem here for sure. Usually is.

For instance, an indestructible camera viewing the earth for the past billion years would have no such issues.

Course with that in mind, ice core and rock samples are really the same thing. Which is why their validity is so universal. They are literally capturing things in an objective manner, unable to be effected by the reaches of man's need to skew the minds of others.

Unless of course someone purposefully screws up the data collected from an ice core sample, or in the case of the imaginary indestructible camera, pulls the film out and burns it, lol.

Remember the end of "Planet of the Apes" when you see the archeological site where the human baby doll is buried beneath the later Ape artifacts?

And they knew it all along and just covered it up?

lol.

Kind of like how the Romans burned the library at Alexandria, then burned it again, then the Muslims burned it themselves...

So on and so forth, lol.

People covering up sh*t can be a deadly force.

Charles,
There is nothing wrong with seeking truth, but Our position holds no benefit for us and i will not encourage my children or grandchildren to take our paths.

Their position is much more attractive in the reward/penaties. if we are right we die and rot in the ground and so do they, even steven. If they are right then they go to heaven but we dont just get to rot in the ground, we get yanked up and put in A LAKE OF FIRE.; Its complete madness man, why wouyld some god that made me want to burn me. I just said I was 99.997 sure now i am going 99.999695 sure.

I just think my grandaughter would like church. i got some good memories of it but man they would have tore me up if they knew i didnt beleive

Well, what if your wrong.....

That what i think i just said, Why dont I want to tell my kids grandkids? What if i am wrong? I am not 100% sure on this. I want them to believe get baptized go to church and then once they are in the BOOK OF LIFE like me I will tell them look, i aint so sure about this god thing

Its like when you were in school and you would start a new grade and the teacher would say okay, remember what you learned last year? Okay that was all wrong here is the new truth

Well, what if your wrong.....

I always get a chuckle here...

Because the "better safe than sorry" rationale never quite seems to apply to them, only to "others".

For instance. I would venture a guess that you pray to Mecca 0 times per day. I would also venture a guess that you don't find cows to be sacred, you wouldn't expect your wife to be murdered and placed in your grave when you die, you likely don't have a little red dot on your forehead, nor does your wife....so on and so forth.

So the part I find amusing, is that you (or anyone) who says "what if you're wrong" never applies that same logic toward the mirror.

What if any one of the other zillion religions that say you're wrong are actually right? What if you're messing around with the wrong one? They all say they're right, and they have all been given divine reasoning as to why they are right.

Yet I never see any religious people taking the "what if you're wrong" advice and practicing ALL religions just in case. Or hell, even just practicing all major religions just in case...

Whenever you have more than one group claiming to be correct, and neither group states the same thing you obviously have a conflict with only two possible conclusions. One is wrong and one is right. Or they are both wrong.

The superbly arrogant part comes in the fact that there are an astonishing number of these groups, all claiming to be correct, and all claiming the others don't have it right like they do, yet NONE of them is basing their claim to fame on anything more valid than the next. They are ALL basing their claims on hearsay.

It's absolutely ridiculous. And there appears to be no limit to the extent of the ridiculousness.

Last edited:
Charles,
There is nothing wrong with seeking truth, but Our position holds no benefit for us and i will not encourage my children or grandchildren to take our paths.

Now you'll have to bare with me for a minute, but I can easily imagine benefits.

Quick scenario:

A plane is crashing.... the Christians are all head between knees praying to God and Jesus to save them or to have mercy on them, or to accept them, or to guide them through their journey/this tough time, so on and so forth. And every other religion is doing the same basic things in their own specific ways.

Meanwhile, instead of praying for an omnipotent being to "help" me, I'm the guy below deck with a penlight in his mouth, sweat running off his forehead reading through a panel schedule with a screwdriver and a pocket knife in his hands re-routing power to the fuel transfer pump before the turbines suck air....

Now that's obviously just a bs scenario. But that's the TYPE of thing I see happening between the two mindsets. I won't wait around for something to fix itself. I'll start figuring it out. I won't wait around and pray for a diabetic to get better..... I'll go find some insulin.

If everyone just prayed for everything and never took their lives into their own hands we would still be living in the dark ages...

Their position is much more attractive in the reward/penaties. if we are right we die and rot in the ground and so do they, even steven. If they are right then they go to heaven but we dont just get to rot in the ground, we get yanked up and put in A LAKE OF FIRE.; Its complete madness man, why wouyld some god that made me want to burn me. I just said I was 99.997 sure now i am going 99.999695 sure.

I just think my grandaughter would like church. i got some good memories of it but man they would have tore me up if they knew i didnt beleive

I understand this. But you can't make false into true. You can't do logical alchemy...

Now you'll have to bare with me for a minute, but I can easily imagine benefits.

Quick scenario:

A plane is crashing.... the Christians are all head between knees praying to God and Jesus to save them or to have mercy on them, or to accept them, or to guide them through their journey/this tough time, so on and so forth. And every other religion is doing the same basic things in their own specific ways.

Meanwhile, instead of praying for an omnipotent being to "help" me, I'm the guy below deck with a penlight in his mouth, sweat running off his forehead reading through a panel schedule with a screwdriver and a pocket knife in his hands re-routing power to the fuel transfer pump before the turbines suck air....

Now that's obviously just a bs scenario. But that's the TYPE of thing I see happening between the two mindsets. I won't wait around for something to fix itself. I'll start figuring it out. I won't wait around and pray for a diabetic to get better..... I'll go find some insulin.

If everyone just prayed for everything and never took their lives into their own hands we would still be living in the dark ages...

I understand this. But you can't make false into true. You can't do logical alchemy...

Charles that first one is not your best work,a Christian may be beside you helping you try and fix the plane. My first Cave Instructor was Terry Tysal, he was on the first team to reach the Edmund Fitzgerald on SCUBA, Navy had been there but they werent on SCUBA. He told me once look some people who die in caves Stop searching and sit and cry and write their will and testament on their slate, i am going to keep searching. You are just assuming the christians are going to pray and not try and live, Those Christians are fighters man, They gona fight to live

They actually can make gold now synthetically but it cost more than its worth so i reckon Alchemy is still alive and well

I always get a chuckle here...

Because the "better safe than sorry" rationale never quite seems to apply to them, only to "others".

For instance. I would venture a guess that you pray to Mecca 0 times per day. I would also venture a guess that you don't find cows to be sacred, you wouldn't expect your wife to be murdered and placed in your grave when you die, you likely don't have a little red dot on your forehead, nor does your wife....so on and so forth.

So the part I find amusing, is that you (or anyone) who says "what if you're wrong" never applies that same logic toward the mirror.

What if any one of the other zillion religions that say you're wrong are actually right? What if you're messing around with the wrong one? They all say they're right, and they have all been given divine reasoning as to why they are right.

Yet I never see any religious people taking the "what if you're wrong" advice and practicing ALL religions just in case. Or hell, even just practicing all major religions just in case...

Whenever you have more than one group claiming to be correct, and neither group states the same thing you obviously have a conflict with only two possible conclusions. One is wrong and one is right. Or they are both wrong.

The superbly arrogant part comes in the fact that there are an astonishing number of these groups, all claiming to be correct, and all claiming the others don't have it right like they do, yet NONE of them is basing their claim to fame on anything more valid than the next. They are ALL basing their claims on hearsay.

It's absolutely ridiculous. And there appears to be no limit to the extent of the ridiculousness.

Charles
There is the problem, the word religion that MAN made up to suit his own good.
The Bible is not a religion, Christianity is not a religion, it's simply believing and practicing what the Bible says. It does not force anyone to believe anything, it simply explains how you get to heaven and how can go to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back