In light of recent events.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve ive blown up a few airbags before. the early bags used sodium azide as the gas charge; nasty stuff. Its the gas from the ignitor that makes your eyes burn NOT the powder. New bags use a different gas that isnt half as irritating. The powder is basically talcom (sp) powder.

it deflates as soon as you hit it so I dont see how this affects your ability to steer. They are specifically designed this way. IMO even without an airbag, an impact like that would knock your hands off the steering wheel anyway.

These heavy duty trucks need quite an impact to deploy the airbags because the crash impulse is so low compared to a car or light duty truck. You dont see many crashed HD's with blown airbags.

Once the bag deflates where is it? It's going to hang on the wheel and down to your lap so it covers about 1/2 the wheel up. So now half the wheel is covered, you've got powder all over you and you've been bounced around, your eyes are burning to some degree......... it's going to be pretty tough to try and grab hold of the wheel on the top only and still steer the vehicle. Then if you manage to turn the wheel the bag flips around as you turn it. All in all once the bag comes out its pretty much over for trying to steer it for the rest of the wreck, your just along for the ride.

I do not know if it's still around but at one time NHRA had a rule about having to disable or remove air bags when running under a certain time. This whole discussion was about trying to look at the safety part of these trucks and what could be done to make them safer. It's gotten pretty far off track with people trying to make it into something it isn't. Maybe it can get back to what it was supposed to be and people could put forth ideas to help.

Awright fella's, I'm hip deep in building a new truck and I'm gonna need some help. I have a 96 1/2 ton reg. cab short bed 2wd and I want it REAL safe just in case ..........well you know. Thinking about doing a backhalf, sheetmetal 9" rear, and some 17" wide slick's, with a 4 link, and a funny car cage. Does that sound like it might work. I am now officially a BUDGET racer, so let's keep the cost down. Thank's for everyone's support, Gary

i think i saw dj post somewhere the ultimate safety equipment.just add a 6.0 as the go power and no wories....lol...

hey its all in jest ,the 6.0 guys have ben making some very impressive strides in perfromance

Awright fella's, I'm hip deep in building a new truck and I'm gonna need some help. I have a 96 1/2 ton reg. cab short bed 2wd and I want it REAL safe just in case ..........well you know. Thinking about doing a backhalf, sheetmetal 9" rear, and some 17" wide slick's, with a 4 link, and a funny car cage. Does that sound like it might work. I am now officially a BUDGET racer, so let's keep the cost down. Thank's for everyone's support, Gary

Gary,
I'm not sure if the prevailing thoughts have changed on them, but back in the early days of funny car cages in doorslammers, the restriction in movement was seen as a large downside. IIRC, NHRA required arm restraints even in an enclosed car if it had a FC cage. People I talked to thought a beefy conventional cage was better (at least at reasonable speeds), but put a lot into the window net mounting. A friend who crashed his super-gas car 22 years ago still has problems with his left arm/wrist since his net mounts did not hold up.

If you can get a good deal on the backhalf chassis work, I would go that route.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

I don't know if you are serious or trying to be a smart :shake:

Think about this. You are trying to control something that is in a collision. An airbag would be a hinderance in this type of application.

Use some common sense guys here. All the calculations in the world dont' mean a thing if you can't comprehend what is being said.

Really? I was just going off of something you wrote earlier.

"To the guys saying it can't/won't happen to me. We have lost some of the greatist drivers to ever walk this earth because of unforseen problems. Dale Earnhardt Sr being one of them. Do you really think that on his gravestone they put "Boy I guess I had to MUCH safety equipment."

Then you say too much safety can be a hinderance. Well I will agree with you on that statement.

I have two trucks that run right at the cut off times for a roll bar. If they would lower the time requirement I would wick them up some more. If I had my way modified stock trucks would have an easier tech than a home built/modified truck. To me my daily drivers are much safer going down the track than on public streets. Of all the vehicles I have raced to date I feel the most safe in my big ole Dodge.

I don't know if you are serious or trying to be a smart :shake:

Think about this. You are trying to control something that is in a collision. An airbag would be a hinderance in this type of application.

did you happen to see the video of the dumb a$$ jumping his truck ? Without the airbag, I seriously don't think that guy would have walked away from his truck .... he would have left a face print in the steering wheel !

This whole thread is BS about cages. Racing originally was never about being safe. Nascar doesn't know it yet, but they will kill themselves with Iroc cars and restrictor plates. I am of Dale Earnhardt S. theory. If you don't have balls enough to go fast then you shouldn't be racing. Dale knew what could happen to him, and if you don't think it can happen to you, think again.

Bottom line IMO protect the spectator at all costs, and let the guy racing go as fast as his knowledge allows him.

BTW did the name of the site change? Maybe I didn't get informed.

www.slow&safedodgedieselenthusiast.com

On Edit: There was talk of a driver certification.....blah blah blah. That's like saying just because you have a CDL that you are a truck driver. I am sorry but there is a huge difference between the 2. SO THEY GET A CRASH COURSE..... BFD :bang

Last edited:
How old are you? Your reply reflects a young age. I haven't been the safest, but I do feel guidelines are a great idea.

This whole thread is BS about cages. Racing originally was never about being safe. Nascar doesn't know it yet, but they will kill themselves with Iroc cars and restrictor plates. I am of Dale Earnhardt S. theory. If you don't have balls enough to go fast then you shouldn't be racing. Dale knew what could happen to him, and if you don't think it can happen to you, think again.

Bottom line IMO protect the spectator at all costs, and let the guy racing go as fast as his knowledge allows him.

On Edit: There was talk of a driver certification.....blah blah blah. That's like saying just because you have a CDL that you are a truck driver. I am sorry but there is a huge difference between the 2. SO THEY GET A CRASH COURSE..... BFD :bang
Excuse me young uninformed/misinformed individual,

Wally Parks started the NHRA way back when to make drag racing SAFE!! He started the NHRA to take racing and put it in an organized well structured and SAFE enviorment.....

Didn't we talk about this like 3 months ago? LOL

Yeah, but a Mcratling found his way over here, and is carrying the torch. I'm guessing with his Bravado, early 20's, maybe still teens.

Maybe you should think REALLY hard before you post an assinine comment like this. My original intent of allowing this video to be released was to HELP people make a desicion on what THEY wanted to do. At your age I imagine you FEEL 10 foot tall and bulletproof, I know I did. I did'nt HAVE to try and help ANYONE, I am fortunate to belong to a diesel community that care's about each and everyone here. WE all work hard to RAISE the bar performance wise, and we are all looking to go faster. I really don't understand your logic on this one though, obviously you don't know what these truck's feel like at speed. I'm gonna quit yacking before I say something really stupid directed at you. Bottom line is this, if you don't want to run ANY safety equipment........then don't. It's your choice, and I hope you NEVER EVER need it. All I'm saying, Gary

Yeah, but a Mcratling found his way over here, and is carrying the torch. I'm guessing with his Bravado, early 20's, maybe still teens.

I bet he thinks the Dukes of Hazzard were real guys. Yeeeehaaaaw.
Silly silly silly.

OK, its all just a conspiracy to get Pat McSwain and the Chevy people off the track. There I said it. This is a Dodge site.....although the two owners drive a Dodge and a chevy, and the moderators are divided between all 3 brands. Its all a conspiracy, and we just want to shut down Diesel drag racing for all.

HAPPY? Now go back to Mcrat's board, and play with your Chevy!

I bet he thinks the Dukes of Hazzard were real guys. Yeeeehaaaaw.
Silly silly silly.

Now wait a sec.....Bo and Luke Duke are not real? So that means Daisy Mae wasn't either? :bang:doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back